Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Please, Jack Daniels isn't even that good. It might be the most overrated liquor on the market.

Jack Daniels is not a whiskey I enjoy neat. It should not be consumed under any circumstances, much less mixed with Aunt Jemimah. There are, however, a few fine examples of sour mash whiskey available.

Jack Daniels is not a whiskey I enjoy neat. It should not be consumed under any circumstances, much less mixed with Aunt Jemimah. There are, however, a few fine examples of sour mash whiskey available.

It is what I always turn to when the bar is out of good bourbon.

And I've never found a better whisky with which to make a Manhattan.

Huh -- I'm not a whiskey drinker at all, but I would've guessed something more like Maker's Mark for a Manhattan.

There aren't many good sour mash bourbons available, and the only bar you will see them in is a fine whiskey bar.

Luckily, there are many more great bourbons that aren't sourmash. They are much more readily available. I don't care for sweet or dry vermouth, so I drink both my brown and clear liquors neat, or with a little ice if the good stuff isn't available.

As I get older, I have become quite the whiskey snob. I now prefer to assault my senses and liver with cask strength whiskeys.

As I get older, I have become quite the whiskey snob. I now prefer to assault my senses and liver with cask strength whiskeys.

Maker's Mark all alone. Mmmmm.

Either of you guys know this place? Finger Lakes Distilling

I didn't get a chance to try their whiskey but it's supposedly quite good, and I can tell you their vodka is fantastic. Wish I lived close enough to get their stuff more regularly; it's a beautiful tasting room, too, so if you find yourself in the Seneca Lake area, I recommend it!

I didn't get a chance to try their whiskey but it's supposedly quite good, and I can tell you their vodka is fantastic. Wish I lived close enough to get their stuff more regularly; it's a beautiful tasting room, too, so if you find yourself in the Seneca Lake area, I recommend it!

Oooohhh, they make a Rye. I may have to see if the local shop has it.

Yes - its in my neck of the woods - pretty decent stuff. I'm not a gin fan, but their gin is pretty good as well.

Minor complaint: Phoenix got swept. Was really hoping they'd make a better go of it, both because a) I'm not crazy about the Red Wings, and b) my mom and my brother were just getting into hockey and they're disappointed the team is done so soon (and that they might not be there next season).

Yes - its in my neck of the woods - pretty decent stuff. I'm not a gin fan, but their gin is pretty good as well.

lol well color me unobservant -- never even noticed you have Finger Lakes as your location. :oops:

There aren't many good sour mash bourbons available, and the only bar you will see them in is a fine whiskey bar.

Luckily, there are many more great bourbons that aren't sourmash. They are much more readily available. I don't care for sweet or dry vermouth, so I drink both my brown and clear liquors neat, or with a little ice if the good stuff isn't available.

I'm a bit of bourbon snob myself. I assume because you didn't spell it whisky that you don't include Scotch in your snobbery. Nothing quite like a glass of oak aged corn mash distillate and a nice cigar on a summer evening. Or a cold winter evening for that matter. Awwww,hell, any old evening you might find me with a glass of whiskey in hand.

I started out with JD manhattens then switched to Makers Mark manhattens. Pretty soon I was putting less and less vermouth in the glass. Eventually I had to admit the truth and realize it was that delicious viscous brown liquid I was after. Began discovering the other bourbons on the shelf and now I am counting the hours to my next glass of Eagle Rare or Four Roses or Russels' Reserve or.....

:wub:

I was out there in October. Not a fan. The rye is too young. they are playing games with using small barrels to increase the contact area with the distillate to age the whiskey more quickly. I wasn't fond of the results. The owner is active on a bourbon forum that I am on and he indicated that they are doing it to get product out to market more quickly. They have larger barrels coming and will soon be aging their whiskeys more conventionally when they arrive. I hope they turn out better in the bigger barrels. I want to support the local guys but they want ~$40 /750ml of what I think isn't $40 whiskey. Hoepfully it works out for them.

Didn't like their gin either but I am not fond of gin in general. Your mileage may vary.

I'm a bit of bourbon snob myself. I assume because you didn't spell it whisky that you don't include Scotch in your snobbery. Nothing quite like a glass of oak aged corn mash distillate and a nice cigar on a summer evening. Or a cold winter evening for that matter. Awwww,hell, any old evening you might find me with a glass of whiskey in hand.

I started out with JD manhattens then switched to Makers Mark manhattens. Pretty soon I was putting less and less vermouth in the glass. Eventually I had to admit the truth and realize it was that delicious viscous brown liquid I was after. Began discovering the other bourbons on the shelf and now I am counting the hours to my next glass of Eagle Rare or Four Roses or Russels' Reserve or.....

For college students, my roomate and I are quite the snobs ourselves. We started drinking Wild Turkey American Honey in coke, then moved on to others, to the point where we drink it on the rocks now. We have at least one empty bottle of the following:

Wild Turkey American Honey

Wild Turkey Original

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rye

Jim Beam

Jim Beam Red Stag

Jim Beam Green Label

Jack Daniels

Bulleitt

Old Grand-Dad 100

Bakers

Old Crow

Buffalo Trace

The Buffalo Trace 125 corn whiskey is also delicious on the rocks.

For college students, my roomate and I are quite the snobs ourselves. We started drinking Wild Turkey American Honey in coke, then moved on to others, to the point where we drink it on the rocks now. We have at least one empty bottle of the following:

Wild Turkey American Honey

Wild Turkey Original

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rye

Jim Beam

Jim Beam Red Stag

Jim Beam Green Label

Jack Daniels

Bulleitt

Old Grand-Dad 100

Bakers

Old Crow

Buffalo Trace

The Buffalo Trace 125 corn whiskey is also delicious on the rocks.

That's not a bad list you are starting there. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

That's not a bad list you are starting there. :thumbsup:

We also bought a bottle of Rare Breed for special occasions. And I killed a bottle of Jameson (against my will, it was free...) but that doesn't count.

Rare Breed is almost too good to enjoy, I feel guilty drinking it at $45/bottle, Bulleitt was one of my favorite, although it took a lot of getting used to and taste acquiring. And I am lovingggg my bottle of Trace.

We also bought a bottle of Rare Breed for special occasions. And I killed a bottle of Jameson (against my will, it was free...) but that doesn't count.

Rare Breed is almost too good to enjoy, I feel guilty drinking it at $45/bottle, Bulleitt was one of my favorite, although it took a lot of getting used to and taste acquiring. And I am lovingggg my bottle of Trace.

Nuthin wrong with Jameson.

Hard to find, but it's a damned good bourbon at a lower price point, try to find some WL Weller. It's made with wheat instead of rye (like Maker's Mark) but it has way more flavor and complexity than Makers Mark. And like I said, lower price point so it won't clobber your college sized budget.

We are planning to come home to WNY for the weekend but our little guy has been fighting a bug for a few days now and it doesn't look like we'll be travelling today. Hopefully tomorrow at this point but I'm not putting a sick 4-year-old in the back of the car for nearly 4 hours.

Do you have a roof rack? ;)

At this point he wouldn't even make it on to the roof rack. Had another setback this evening and now the entire trip is in jeopardy.

That's why I don't use Maker's Mark in Manhattans, normally. It is too nice on its own. Same for Eagle, same for a few others.

Bookmarked. Thanks!