Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'd like to complain about two sets of people in this tragedy: the "suits" at a press conference who lined up behind the microphone, including the governor and attorney general of Florida, the school superintendent, the sheriff and various hangers-on. The self-congratulations for what a super job they did yesterday were striking. Handshakes, even. First responders yada yada yada, but, no, suits, you haven't done a good job. Not in the least. The governor, citing "evil" and "this isn't the time to talk about gun control," particularly covered himself in shame.

Then there are the parents who want to be inteviewed on TV with their kids. One of the interviews was at 11 something last night, a mother and a high school freshman from the school. WTF aren't you safe at home, mentally recovering from what happened? I'm bracing for some of the parents of the lost, looking composed in nice clothes in their perfect homes. (To CNN's credit, yesterday afternoon they forced a mother to leave an interview when she took a phone call from her daughter asking when she was coming to pick her up. She really didn't want to leave her 15 minutes of fame.)

What is wrong with us?

He legally purchased the gun, I keep hearing. Wouldn't that mean a background check? Does a history of treatment for mental illness even show up? (I heard something on the radio today that Trump reversed an Obama policy in order to make it easier for people with mental illness to buy a gun. Someone fact check me please. I couldn't possibly have heard that right.)

I'm a gun owner and I have absolutely no idea what the background check included. I gave the guy at the gun store my licence, he called a phone number, I filled out a 1 page form and I walked out with my pistol. It took 10 minutes. I have no idea what was checked. I wasn't required to take a safety course of any kind. I am licenced to concealed carry.

He legally purchased the gun, I keep hearing. Wouldn't that mean a background check? Does a history of treatment for mental illness even show up? (I heard something on the radio today that Trump reversed an Obama policy in order to make it easier for people with mental illness to buy a gun. Someone fact check me please. I couldn't possibly have heard that right.)

The kid was reported to the FBI and they did nothing.

Then there are the parents who want to be inteviewed on TV with their kids. One of the interviews was at 11 something last night, a mother and a high school freshman from the school. WTF aren't you safe at home, mentally recovering from what happened? I'm bracing for some of the parents of the lost, looking composed in nice clothes in their perfect homes. (To CNN's credit, yesterday afternoon they forced a mother to leave an interview when she took a phone call from her daughter asking when she was coming to pick her up. She really didn't want to leave her 15 minutes of fame.)

What is wrong with us?

These guys. 100%. On the fu*king news trying to reach their kids. 

Some people love attention, no matter how negative. 

It's also a very American thing to find a connection to any event, especially a tragedy. On the positive end of that, it's a desire to relate and understand. But on the worst side of it, it's grief/disaster tourism and attention seeking. Look at me, give me pity and love, my friend's niece's cousin's friend's mail person's dog sitter's sister went to that school 7 years ago! 

Media bias versus extremely biased article. 

The truth is in the middle and still sh!tty, and there's no way to spin that. 

I'm out of here for today. I have a sick dad and a lot of work to do. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

No, because Florida doesn't do background checks beyond the very minimal check required by federal law.

I tried to do this immediately after my ankle surgery last year. I took the first dose of the oxy they prescribed me. When it came time for another, I felt pretty good so I switched to Tylenol and went to bed. Turns out I just felt okay because my nerve block lasted wayyyy longer than I expected. Once the nerve block wore off, Tylenol was no match and I woke up in a world of pain. I switched back to the strong stuff for a little while.

Those ###### made me feel terrible though. I took half doses. Full doses made me a bit woozy and made my heart race. To avoid oversharing, I'll just say that even the half doses brought my digestive tract to a screeching halt. 

I had no issues kicking them. But I made a conscious effort to get off them ASAP. It's messed up that the human body is wired such that it can get addicted to such nasty stuff. 

Yeah.  I've been lucky enough to not have to be in a situation where it might be prescribed.  We'll see how much I can tolerate when it happens.  Additionally I think everyone has a different level of addictive personalities.  Some people can kick things easier than others.  Which isn't to say that they have less to be concerned about with something highly addictive, but if you recognize that you are more likely to engage in addictive behaviors you might avoid taking the drugs just in case.

I'm hoping I don't have to experience it.

Do we know if this kid was ever treated for mental illness ?

Do you have any concept for how many ppl have some type of mental illness and go untreated? Also define mental illness. My dad has depression, is that a mental illness? What about anxiety? Bi polar? Mental illness is this cute little phrase being used to deflect.

I don't know that, but it appears that the FBI was alerted to him last year: https://archive.is/ZVnIf

I would think one would have to be mentally ill to shoot up a school.

Why? Until you prove that it's just a theory and regurgitated talking point. We don't study gun violence so we have no clue why it occurs.

Do you have any concept for how many ppl have some type of mental illness and go untreated? Also define mental illness. My dad has depression, is that a mental illness? What about anxiety? Bi polar? Mental illness is this cute little phrase being used to deflect.

Why? Until you prove that it's just a theory and regurgitated talking point. We don't study gun violence so we have no ###### clue why it occurs.

Good post here Liger. People love tossing out "mental illness" when these atrocities occur having never given it more than a passing thought. 

Why? 

Because normal people don't shoot up schools.  I can't think that someone *without* a mental illness would consider such a thing.  Maybe I'm naive.

Good post here Liger. People love tossing out "mental illness" when these atrocities occur having never given it more than a passing thought. 

People toss out "mental illness" because they don't want responsible gun control, that's true.  Still, I can't think that a normal person would ever think of doing such a thing.

Because normal people don't shoot up schools. I can't think that someone *without* a mental illness would consider such a thing. Maybe I'm naive.

People toss out "mental illness" because they don't want responsible gun control, that's true. Still, I can't think that a normal person would ever think of doing such a thing.

What's normal? Is normal burning villages of women and children in Vietnam? Is normal dropping an atomic bomb on an entire city? Is normal a cop shooting an unarmed teenager?

Lots of supposedly normal people do awful while lots of abnormal people spend their whole lives never hurting a fly.

Trump's stupid tax cut raised my taxes. I'm firmly middle class so I wonder who is getting the cut?

Maybe I messed up, but for grins I ran my 2016 return under the new code and it was positive for my wife and I. The only group I could see getting hosed were single earners in six figures. The rates are lower but not enough to make up for the losses in itemized deductions. Obviously mileage may vary depending on where you live and whether you itemize or not.

Maybe I messed up, but for grins I ran my 2016 return under the new code and it was positive for my wife and I. The only group I could see getting hosed were single earners in six figures. The rates are lower but not enough to make up for the losses in itemized deductions. Obviously mileage may vary depending on where you live and whether you itemize or not.

Turns out I had run my numbers wrong. My taxes did indeed go down as evinced by my lower rate on this week's stub. 

Stop the world. I want off.

I try not to be the guy that sees different generations as actually different, but something had changed in out society over my lifetime. And the change se ms to have affected all generations. I am truly concerned about the future of out society.

Stop the world. I want off.

I try not to be the guy that sees different generations as actually different, but something had changed in out society over my lifetime. And the change se ms to have affected all generations. I am truly concerned about the future of out society.

American society is filled with toxic concepts that we would do well to end. 

I don’t know if irony is the correct label, but we are having an active shooter training session this afternoon at work. It was scheduled before yesterday’s tragedy.

Society has changed and we aren’t responding to it beyond organized sessions telling people where to hide.

I don’t know if irony is the correct label, but we are having an active shooter training session this afternoon at work. It was scheduled before yesterday’s tragedy.

Society has changed and we aren’t responding to it beyond organized sessions telling people where to hide.

I think that's more a coincidence.

I don't know if society has changed much, but I think a lot of the underlying problems have bubbled to the surface. The challenge is on us to recognize these problems and to address them. But a lot of people don't want to do that. It's too scary. Better to just let kids die. 

What's normal? Is normal burning villages of women and children in Vietnam? Is normal dropping an atomic bomb on an entire city? Is normal a cop shooting an unarmed teenager?

Lots of supposedly normal people do awful ###### while lots of abnormal people spend their whole lives never hurting a fly.

Context is kind of important here, no? Normal societies and normal people doing awful things under certain pressures, things that can be justified and/or explained. Versus... some expelled kid shooting up his former school. (Actually, I think I'd want to throw out the war atrocity in your example, or maybe include it with the school shooter.)

I don't know if society has changed much, but I think a lot of the underlying problems have bubbled to the surface. The challenge is on us to recognize these problems and to address them. But a lot of people don't want to do that. There's too much money involved. Better to just let kids die. 

FTFY

Edited by Jokertecken