Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

This has been a somewhat uneventful UFA day. Specifically, only two major signings I can tell are Vrbata in Tampa and Brunette to Minnesota. Surprisingly a ton of trades taking place today, which I would not have expected on the first day of free agency. Given all the trade action, I'm surprised Darcy is not in the thick of things as he prefers to make trades than sign free agents anyway. Very strange day so far.

I think after last year's free-for-all with everything happening around 12:02 AM, we were all expecting a similar outcome.

Perhaps the GMs aren't jumping the gun just yet and thinking that they don't want to just spend willy-nilly (that is, for any franchise outside of northern Florida).

:unsure:

OK, seriously....

via Sportsnet:

Sportsnet. ca -- The Pittsburgh Penguins have offered a contract to free agent forward and former team captain, Jaromir Jagr, Sportsnet has learned.

The Penguins are one of several NHL teams in pursuit of the former NHL MVP.

Jagr began his career with the Penguins and enjoyed his best seasons there, including Stanley Cup championships in 1991 and 1992.

Makes you wonder how the hell they are going to pull this off..

together they all got paid about 6 million last season. Haven't yet, wait, I never will, taken a look to see if these guys are worth soooo much more now that they'll be forced to deal or let go some guys. Seems Tampa's betting on a few lines and some 'slackers' per se

via Sportsnet:

Sportsnet. ca -- The Pittsburgh Penguins have offered a contract to free agent forward and former team captain, Jaromir Jagr, Sportsnet has learned.

Jagr began his career with the Penguins and enjoyed his best seasons there, including Stanley Cup championships in 1991 and 1992.

what does this say about Hossa resigning?

via Sportsnet:

what does this say about Hossa resigning?

To me this says they have no confidence that Hossa will re-sign with Pitt...

Based on what's gone on so far and what might happen -- they lost Malone, probably going to lose Orpik, and might swap Hossa for a floating, generally disinterested prima donna like Jagr - if I were a Pens fan I'd be pissed at hope this offseason is shaping up. Now they know how we felt last summer - seeing your team change totally in a week's time.

Phoenix signs UFA D Kurt Sauer 4 years

Washington signs UFA G Jose Theodore to 2 year deal 4.5 million cap per year.

Colorado signs UFA G Andrew Raycroft 1 year

Phoenix signs UFA forward Todd Fedoruk to a 3 year deal

Montreal re-signs RFA forward Andrei Kostitsyn to a 3 year deal worth $3.25-million a season

Detroit signs UFA G Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000

WOW TSN reporting Theodore to Washington 2-year deal ... Huet moving on?

Wow, that seems like a step back for Washington. Theodore has always been inconsistent and this was his first good season in about 3-4 years.

Ek fever...this is NUTS

According to a Source the asking price for Brian Campbell is beyond 70

million bucks. Teams with less than 70 need not apply. Also, Blackhawks

in on Campbell (e3)

$70M? Wow. :bag:

wow, theodore to the caps, where does that leave Huet? I though he was great for them in their post season run

Exactly. Granted, the Ovechkin-Fedorov line and Mike Green carried that team down the stretch, I thought Huet was solid, if not excellent near the end.

I doubt he'd be interested in a backup goalie opening.... :blush:

Archived