Danny Briere 2 goals last night

bob_sauve28

Now, the rest of the story.

First, notice in Wikipedia that it says order might not be right.

Second, When the expansion draft was about to commence, Detroit came and told Punch Imlach that they had a deal in place to deal Roger Crozier to Boston for Tom Webster but they preferred to cut Boston out of the picture. In return, Detroit would owe Buffalo future condisderations. Not knowing this, Boston came to Punch and asked him to draft Ace Bailey because they had a deal to send Tom Webster to Detroit. The also offerred future considerations. Punch told Boston he would do it.

However, when the draft started, Tom Webster became the first player ever drafted by Buffalo and Punch quickly sent him to Detroit for Roger Crozier. In those days future considerations weren't fully disclosed so no one really knows what Punch got for doing the deal with Detroit rather than Boston

Great story. :lol: I bet Taro T would have known....

Punch was quite a character.

Punch was quite a character.

That he was.

He wheeled and dealed for all 3 goalies that year. Picked up Daley off waivers from Pittsburgh and after Dryden had refused to go to the minors for Chicago in '69 (after having been bumped down the depth chart off the NHL roster when they picked up Espo) he was sold to Pittsburgh at the '70 draft and then sold to Buffalo a little later. Not sure what Pittsburgh netted in the deal, apparently the deal allowed Chicago to dump a headache and keep Buffalo from taking Korab at the time. And Buffalo netted pretty good goaltending to get shelled behind a very porous defense.

Still waiting ... <_>

well, he has officially scored more goals in this series than in any series as a Sabre... So, anyone whining about him now - just remember he didn't do that here.

well, he has officially scored more goals in this series than in any series as a Sabre... So, anyone whining about him now - just remember he didn't do that here.

And don't let the facts that he was their leading scorer in the playoffs the last two years ......oh just forget it!

What a great game last night though.

got home late from work, turned on versus-hd and found the wachovia crew clearing the ice before the first OT - that gave me time to get a meatloaf sandwich and a couple cold ones - what a treat all around (especially that first OT).

And don't let the facts that he was their leading scorer in the playoffs the last two years ......oh just forget it!

Did I write something incorrect? Did Briere ever score 5 goals for the Sabres in a playoff series? Not only in 4 games, but in 7 games? No. He didn't.

I do know of a playoff game where the esteemed Sabres announcers declared him, off the air, to have been the worst player on the ice though.

I don't understand why, when players like Briere go to another team, they're booed when they come back to Buffalo, called overrated, and 'he didn't do this or didn't do that when he was with us'. I don't blame Briere for taking a big contract and going to Philly, if he got seriously injured (either on or off the ice) at least he made enough money to take care of himself & family. Look at what happened to Kevin Everett last year, who's to say that can't happen in the NHL?

I could see bashing a player like Willis Mcgahee, because he thrash talked Buffalo big time. But what did Briere, Drury or any other ex-Sabre of the last 2 years do to deserve the harsh critism that they are getting now? If you want to blame anyone or anything, blame Free Agency.

I don't understand why, when players like Briere go to another team, they're booed when they come back to Buffalo, called overrated, and 'he didn't do this or didn't do that when he was with us'. I don't blame Briere for taking a big contract and going to Philly, if he got seriously injured (either on or off the ice) at least he made enough money to take care of himself & family. Look at what happened to Kevin Everett last year, who's to say that can't happen in the NHL?

I could see bashing a player like Willis Mcgahee, because he thrash talked Buffalo big time. But what did Briere, Drury or any other ex-Sabre of the last 2 years do to deserve the harsh critism that they are getting now? If you want to blame anyone or anything, blame Free Agency.

Good point and I agree entirely; there's no need to boo a returning player. Especially ones that were good contributors on and off the ice.

Free agency means we route for the laundry though. Players come and players go. That's why I don't think it's fair to project Briere's CURRENT performance with his CURRENT team onto Sabres management. One has NOTHING to do with the other. All this teeth gnashing about how we let the CURRENT playoff leader in goals get away accomplishes nothing for anyone. Congratulations to Danny but Phuck the Phlyers anyway.

GO SABRES!!!

Did I write something incorrect? Did Briere ever score 5 goals for the Sabres in a playoff series? Not only in 4 games, but in 7 games? No. He didn't.

I do know of a playoff game where the esteemed Sabres announcers declared him, off the air, to have been the worst player on the ice though.

Speaking only for myself, since I am one of the whiners -- most of my "whines" come in response to the gratuitous shots a number of posters here seem to enjoy taking at Briere. I find these ridiculous, especially when we are on the sidelines during the playoffs and Briere, our leading playoff scorer for the previous 2 seasons, is leading the worst team in the NHL last year into the 2nd round.

However, I will also admit to unprovoked whining about losing Briere, and why not? As a reminder, WE WON THE GD PRESIDENT'S TROPHY LAST YEAR!! The President's trophy winner has only failed to make the playoffs THREE TIMES IN THE LAST 40 YEARS!! IT IS PATHETIC THAT WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR!! And to me it is clear as an effing bell that we should've tried to keep Briere, and that if we had done so, he would've signed on Jan. 1 2007 for much less than Philly signed him for, and we'd be in the playoffs.

So, yes, I'm whining about it. I prefer it when the Sabres are in the playoffs. I'm PO'd that management butchered our team. And Danny's outstanding playoff performance this year is rubbing it my face and opening the wound again.

As for the playoff game where he was the worst player on the ice -- which one was it?

Exactly. The Briere-bashing is ridiculous.

I like Danny and I agree, but I also don't want to hear from players "I'd love to stay in Buffalo" and "It's not about the money" and then turn right around and say,"Uh...Buffalo wouldn't pay me enough(read:over pay) so I don't want to play in Buffalo".

I'm also pretty sure that with what he's made already, Danny could take care of his family and mine for generations to come.

Speaking only for myself, since I am one of the whiners -- most of my "whines" come in response to the gratuitous shots a number of posters here seem to enjoy taking at Briere. I find these ridiculous, especially when we are on the sidelines during the playoffs and Briere, our leading playoff scorer for the previous 2 seasons, is leading the worst team in the NHL last year into the 2nd round.

However, I will also admit to unprovoked whining about losing Briere, and why not? As a reminder, WE WON THE GD PRESIDENT'S TROPHY LAST YEAR!! The President's trophy winner has only failed to make the playoffs THREE TIMES IN THE LAST 40 YEARS!! IT IS PATHETIC THAT WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR!! And to me it is clear as an effing bell that we should've tried to keep Briere, and that if we had done so, he would've signed on Jan. 1 2007 for much less than Philly signed him for, and we'd be in the playoffs.

So, yes, I'm whining about it. I prefer it when the Sabres are in the playoffs. I'm PO'd that management butchered our team. And Danny's outstanding playoff performance this year is rubbing it my face and opening the wound again.

As for the playoff game where he was the worst player on the ice -- which one was it?

Exactly. The Briere-bashing is ridiculous.

I agree, I'm very PO'd that management butchered our team up. But there are some people that think management is right, and they're doing the right things. When you go from EC finals 2 years in a row, to not making the playoffs...that's making all the wrong moves. Being the 3rd team in NHL history to go from President's Trophy winners to missing the players is making the wrong moves. When we lost Briere & Drury to FA, we should have went after better defensemen, but who did we get instead...Jocelyn Thibault, and what a difference maker he turned out to be this year.

There's a latin phrase, ceteris paribus, that you need to become familiar with. Let me preface this by saying: yes, Briere did contribute a lot to our team over the last two years and yes, he could have contributed to the team this year.

However, I am really bothered by phrases like "[briere] is leading the worst team in the NHL last year into the 2nd round." How much of that "worst team" is still on that team now? Going back to the trade deadline last year, how many players were added or subtracted? They overhauled that team completely. They kept the parts that worked and replaced the parts that didn't. Danny was one part of that process, but by no means the only part (Jason Smith, Kimmo Timonen, ...) or even the biggest. In fact, Danny didn't really start to perform until they brought Prospal in at the deadline. So, Danny is not leading last year's worst team to anything; they don't exist any more.

Likewise, Danny was not the only change for the Sabres from last year. There were a few other parts that that weren't there. Drury and Teppo were both part of the team's plans when they let Danny go. Without all three they didn't have the veteran presence and leadership needed. Would they have been better off with Danny this year? Of course. Does that mean that signing him to a big, long contract was the right decision going forward? Not necessarily. This year's performance and financial constraints were only part of the decision. With their original plan (Chris and Teppo), we would have been contending again this year. Our top two line would have been centered by Chris and Derek with Timmy filling in when needed. Both our offense and defense would have had veterans to lead them. Chris fell through and they banked on young guys stepping up and Teppo to provide the leadership. A bit more of a gamble than I would have wanted, but who knows what would have happened. Then, Teppo went down and we got Pratt. I like Pratt, but he's no veteran leader. Those two facts, along with the fact that we still had an almost completely puck-moving finesse defense, had far more to do with our collapse than letting Danny go. Management made some mistakes, but no keeping Danny was not at the top of the list.

Personally, I wish Danny all the best in his career. He does some amazing things -- the above mentioned sniping from along the goal line, some pretty passes and his ability to elevate the puck to "where momma hides the cookies" -- and does have heart for the game. The reasons that I want him to choke this year are because he is on the Flyers and because I want threads about how we should have kept him to finally die (yes, I know I am keeping them going by posting). He's gone. Been gone a year now. Can we move on? I clench my fists a little every time I see Drury play, but I'm not going to start a thread about it.

There's a latin phrase, ceteris paribus, that you need to become familiar with. Let me preface this by saying: yes, Briere did contribute a lot to our team over the last two years and yes, he could have contributed to the team this year.

However, I am really bothered by phrases like "[briere] is leading the worst team in the NHL last year into the 2nd round." How much of that "worst team" is still on that team now? Going back to the trade deadline last year, how many players were added or subtracted? They overhauled that team completely. They kept the parts that worked and replaced the parts that didn't. Danny was one part of that process, but by no means the only part (Jason Smith, Kimmo Timonen, ...) or even the biggest. In fact, Danny didn't really start to perform until they brought Prospal in at the deadline. So, Danny is not leading last year's worst team to anything; they don't exist any more.

Likewise, Danny was not the only change for the Sabres from last year. There were a few other parts that that weren't there. Drury and Teppo were both part of the team's plans when they let Danny go. Without all three they didn't have the veteran presence and leadership needed. Would they have been better off with Danny this year? Of course. Does that mean that signing him to a big, long contract was the right decision going forward? Not necessarily. This year's performance and financial constraints were only part of the decision. With their original plan (Chris and Teppo), we would have been contending again this year. Our top two line would have been centered by Chris and Derek with Timmy filling in when needed. Both our offense and defense would have had veterans to lead them. Chris fell through and they banked on young guys stepping up and Teppo to provide the leadership. A bit more of a gamble than I would have wanted, but who knows what would have happened. Then, Teppo went down and we got Pratt. I like Pratt, but he's no veteran leader. Those two facts, along with the fact that we still had an almost completely puck-moving finesse defense, had far more to do with our collapse than letting Danny go. Management made some mistakes, but no keeping Danny was not at the top of the list.

Personally, I wish Danny all the best in his career. He does some amazing things -- the above mentioned sniping from along the goal line, some pretty passes and his ability to elevate the puck to "where momma hides the cookies" -- and does have heart for the game. The reasons that I want him to choke this year are because he is on the Flyers and because I want threads about how we should have kept him to finally die (yes, I know I am keeping them going by posting). He's gone. Been gone a year now. Can we move on? I clench my fists a little every time I see Drury play, but I'm not going to start a thread about it.

You are of course right about all else not being equal. You are also right that the Sabres' plan of keeping Drury and Teppo and letting Danny go was a reasonable plan and probably would've had us back near the top of the East. However, I firmly believe that once Drury bailed on them in the fall of 2006, they should've realized that the consequences of losing both would be catastrophic and should've then signed Danny on January 1, 2007. (Who knows? Doing so might've persuaded Drury to change his mind and sign. That would've required us to dump a few players to stay under the cap, but I think everyone could've lived with that.)

You are probably right too that we should all move on. It's just not that easy to get over it when there are no Buffalo sports for 6 months and we are watching Briere, Drury, Soupy, etc. all move into the 2nd round -- and the key point is that there was no reason, other than sheer incompetence, for this to have happened.

I'll try to stop whining about it. But every time I see DeLuca use the phrase "B-Rod" I want to break something.

This is where I stop being rational. Cut it out. Let your nostalgia for this man die.

He'll be a Flyer for up to 7 more years.

Briere is not a Sabre. He's a Flyer. (I just drew up bile saying the team name).

I stopped thinking of him as a Sabre somewhere around November. I admit it took at least that long but now the transformation is complete.

My irrational hate for all things Flyer doesn't quite extend to his immediate family,

nor do I wish him any Pelle Lindbergh type of fate. But now that he is a Flyer and wearing

burnt orange (the color of the Anti-Christ and early 80's Pop bands) he gets no love from me. I don't only want him and them to lose, I want him and them to lose in the most embarrassing ways possible. I want the series winning goal to bounce off his head into his own net - that's what I want. And why shouldn't I? He's a Flyer.

No Flyer gets a cozy welcome in HSBC or in the whole city.

I didn't write that rule. But that's the way it has to be.

He's a Flyer.

This is where I stop being rational. Cut it out. Let your nostalgia for this man die.

Briere is not a Sabre. He's a Flyer. (I just drew up bile saying the team name).

I stopped thinking of him as a Sabre somewhere around November. I admit it took at least that long but now the transformation is complete.

My irrational hate for all things Flyer doesn't quite extend to his immediate family,

nor do I wish him any Pelle Lindbergh type of fate. But now that he is a Flyer and wearing

burnt orange (the color of the Anti-Christ and early 80's Pop bands) he gets no love from me. I don't only want him and them to lose, I want him and them to lose in the most embarrassing ways possible. I want the series winning goal to bounce off his head into his own net - that's what I want. And why shouldn't I? He's a Flyer.

He's a Flyer.

Word up.

(I heard that saying on a Chevy truck commercial.)

You are of course right about all else not being equal. You are also right that the Sabres' plan of keeping Drury and Teppo and letting Danny go was a reasonable plan and probably would've had us back near the top of the East. However, I firmly believe that once Drury bailed on them in the fall of 2006, they should've realized that the consequences of losing both would be catastrophic and should've then signed Danny on January 1, 2007. (Who knows? Doing so might've persuaded Drury to change his mind and sign. That would've required us to dump a few players to stay under the cap, but I think everyone could've lived with that.)

You are probably right too that we should all move on. It's just not that easy to get over it when there are no Buffalo sports for 6 months and we are watching Briere, Drury, Soupy, etc. all move into the 2nd round -- and the key point is that there was no reason, other than sheer incompetence, for this to have happened.

I'll try to stop whining about it. But every time I see DeLuca use the phrase "B-Rod" I want to break something.

I agree with you. It's very frustrating to see former Sabres moving to the 2nd round, and we're not even in the playoffs this year. I don't know if management didn't want Briere because they were PO'd at him for going to arbitration, or they felt he wasn't worth it. I don't understand why management wouldn't have wanted to keep a guy who was your leading scorer, and had the most points on the team since the 95-96 season? Whatever the reason, I wish Briere & the other ex-Sabres the best of luck. I'm just looking forward to the NFL draft, then the start of NFL pre-season.

Hopefully Sabres management will get it right this off-season. If we don't pick up any good defensemen, and barely make any moves in the FA (like last year), we'll be in the same boat next season or just slightly better.

He's a Flyer.

Cut it out, huh? Ok, so Danny went to a team that we all hate, so in turn we're suppose to hate & boo him too? Please!!! If you were in his position, you would take the best contract offered. I don't like the Flyers, but I like Biron & Briere. I hate the Sens much more than the Flyers.

B-Rod fits him. He had a chance to sign with the Sabres and would be a Sabre today if he didn't decide to go to arbitration instead of showing loyalty to the team that saved his career by rescuing him from the scrap heap. B-Rod can spew all the crap he wants about how he loves the city and the the fans. He chose the money over staying a Sabre.

None of that even matters now. Roy has stepped up and proven to be every bit the scorer Briere is and guess what? Roy actually knows where the defensive zone is. I was glad to see that without the B-Rod influence Roy's crying to refs dropped significantly. I am also glad to see Pominville's production rise without Briere. While Briere's production took a nose dive without Pominville. 23 less points and his +/- dropped by 39.

And enough of how the Sabres would be in the playoffs if they had B-Rod. Did anyone even watch this season? The Sabres problem wasn't goal scoring. They finished 4th in the league in goals. The Sabres missed out because of inconsistent goaltending and bad defensive play. Neither of which B-Rod would ever contribute to in a positive way. Can anyone explain how adding a forward with zero desire to put any effort into the defensive game would have helped the Sabres defensive corps or goaltending?

And enough of how the Sabres would be in the playoffs if they had B-Rod. Did anyone even watch this season? The Sabres problem wasn't goal scoring. They finished 4th in the league in goals.

Yes, it was a problem. Maybe not as big a problem as the defense or goaltending, but that 4th-place finish in goals scored is misleading. This team could run up the score better than anyone, but there were a ton of games where that offense sucked out loud.

Just as Drury and Teppo would have helped with the PK and the defense, Briere might have brought some more consistency to the offense and definitely would have brought another weapon to the SO, where our offense also sucked for much of the year.

B-Rod fits him. He had a chance to sign with the Sabres and would be a Sabre today if he didn't decide to go to arbitration instead of showing loyalty to the team that saved his career by rescuing him from the scrap heap. B-Rod can spew all the crap he wants about how he loves the city and the the fans. He chose the money over staying a Sabre.

None of that even matters now. Roy has stepped up and proven to be every bit the scorer Briere is and guess what? Roy actually knows where the defensive zone is. I was glad to see that without the B-Rod influence Roy's crying to refs dropped significantly. I am also glad to see Pominville's production rise without Briere. While Briere's production took a nose dive without Pominville. 23 less points and his +/- dropped by 39.

And enough of how the Sabres would be in the playoffs if they had B-Rod. Did anyone even watch this season? The Sabres problem wasn't goal scoring. They finished 4th in the league in goals. The Sabres missed out because of inconsistent goaltending and bad defensive play. Neither of which B-Rod would ever contribute to in a positive way. Can anyone explain how adding a forward with zero desire to put any effort into the defensive game would have helped the Sabres defensive corps or goaltending?

I like Briere & Drury, but since we didn't resign them, I think we should have went after a couple of defensemen. It showed in the EC finals against the Sens that we needed help on D, and we didn't get it this year.

Cut it out, huh? Ok, so Danny went to a team that we all hate, so in turn we're suppose to hate & boo him too?

Yep.

Please!!! If you were in his position, you would take the best contract offered.

Sure I understand that on a rational level. But what would he do in my position as a person with irrational Philly hatred? He'd boo!!!!

I don't like the Flyers, but I like Biron & Briere.

You see, that gets tricky. Last night they combined for about 120 minutes of ice time.

Can I cheer for the North Koreans I like when they are wearing a uniform?

I hate the Sens much more than the Flyers.

I'm not saying hating the Sens is bad. But hating the Flyers has been a good long-standing

relationship for most of us. We just don't kick that to the curb overnight. Hating this long - a good 33 years, takes careful nurturing and hard work. We just don't start looking around at the first skirt that walks by and start hating willy-nilly. This is Philly and damn it, it means something.

Yep.

Sure I understand that on a rational level. But what would he do in my position as a person with irrational Philly hatred? He'd boo!!!!

You see, that gets tricky. Last night they combined for about 120 minutes of ice time.

Can I cheer for the North Koreans I like when they are wearing a uniform?

I'm not saying hating the Sens is bad. But hating the Flyers has been a good long-standing

relationship for most of us. We just don't kick that to the curb overnight. Hating this long - a good 33 years, takes careful nurturing and hard work. We just don't start looking around at the first skirt that walks by and start hating willy-nilly. This is Philly and damn it, it means something.

I hate the Flyers too, yes they beat us in the Stanley Cup during the 74-75 season. I hate the Stars, Cowboys, Giants & Redskins because they beat us in Championship games too!! I especially hate the Stars & Brett Hull. But I don't see how people can buy a players jersey (like Briere's), cheer for him & go nuts when he scores and makes awesome plays, to booing him because he left our team due to free agency and our management not offering him a contract. Did Briere say we need to move to Toronto, say there's nothing to do in Buffalo, and make fun of the women of Buffalo...NO!!! So, there's no reason to boo or dislike him.

Archived