Danny Briere 2 goals last night

bob_sauve28

I think the statute of limitations for creating threads about this ex Sabre has now passed.

I wish that were true, but ...

1) It's still the first season without him, so I am willing to cut people some slack. If I see this next season, I will really start to complain (or just not read it.)

2) I participated in (started?) a Peca* thread last summer, so I don't have much room to complain.

* Would have been interesting to have had him for the cheap, incentive-laden contract that he got from Columbus. While the level that he might actually have brought is debatable, he would have brought some leadership, some veteran experience and another center to play on the second line when Connolly was hurt. He's an UFA again this year and rumor is that Columbus won't re-sign him ... :ph34r:

I think the statute of limitations for creating threads about this ex Sabre has now passed.

Until the Sabres right the wrongs they have created, I expect them to continue..I will be the first to admit I didnt think they should sign Brierre if it was between Drury and Brieere, with that said they shoulda had one of them....

Until the Sabres right the wrongs they have created, I expect them to continue..I will be the first to admit I didnt think they should sign Brierre if it was between Drury and Brieere, with that said they shoulda had one of them....

0 for 2! :nana:

(Man I missed the nana!)

thats true, but it won't be because of his play, or did he disapear in the playoffs this year too like last year?

Blowing a 2-0 lead in a game in your own building, when you can finish off your opponent and move on to the next round?

With a -3 I'm sure the Flyers fans wished he had "disappeared" last night or just not have shown up.

With a -3 I'm sure the Flyers fans wished he had "disappeared" last night or just not have shown up.

Again, numbers can be misleading. He wasn't involved in the play on any of those three goals and the shot for his power play goal was a shot that maybe twenty players in the league can make on a regular basis. Without Briere, the Flyers would already be done.

On a side note, I will bet that +/- gets more play per capita on this board than any other place in North America

Again, numbers can be misleading. He wasn't involved in the play on any of those three goals and the shot for his power play goal was a shot that maybe twenty players in the league can make on a regular basis. Without Briere, the Flyers would already be done.

On a side note, I will bet that +/- gets more play per capita on this board than any other place in North America

And it works both ways. I can't argue with 6 goals (double what he did all playoffs for us last year), but at the same time, if you watch the games, you will see a lot of times where he is not contributing or taking stupid penalties, etc.. That shot was a beauty, but when his team was down 3-2 and had a 5-on-3, then 5-on-4, he missed at least two golden opportunities to put easy shots of the net. Danny contributes a lot offensively and I would never say he "disappears", but despite the numbers, he has not been the most important player to his team. There are other players working harder to make opportunities happen (some of which ended up being his goals) and prevent opportunities going the other way.

That is why I would rather have had Drury back than Danny (and for those that love stats: note that, over the last two post-seasons, Chris had 17 G, 14 A, 31 P in 34 playoff games to Danny's 11 G, 23 A, 34 P in the same.) They both put up points for us, but Chris was doing so much more to prevent points being put up against us. Unfortunately, that doesn't show up very well in the stats (as we all know, +/- has too many other factors in it.)

And it works both ways. I can't argue with 6 goals (double what he did all playoffs for us last year), but at the same time, if you watch the games, you will see a lot of times where he is not contributing or taking stupid penalties, etc.. That shot was a beauty, but when his team was down 3-2 and had a 5-on-3, then 5-on-4, he missed at least two golden opportunities to put easy shots of the net. Danny contributes a lot offensively and I would never say he "disappears", but despite the numbers, he has not been the most important player to his team. There are other players working harder to make opportunities happen (some of which ended up being his goals) and prevent opportunities going the other way.

That is why I would rather have had Drury back than Danny (and for those that love stats: note that, over the last two post-seasons, Chris had 17 G, 14 A, 31 P in 34 playoff games to Danny's 11 G, 23 A, 34 P in the same.) They both put up points for us, but Chris was doing so much more to prevent points being put up against us. Unfortunately, that doesn't show up very well in the stats (as we all know, +/- has too many other factors in it.)

While you are correct in a lot of what you say, you shouldn't diminish the "intangibles" that Danny brings to a team. Those close to the team will tell you that both players hated to lose as much as anyone they have ever been associated with. And don't diminish the edge the Briere gives his Flyer teammates who know that he has been there.

As far as "golden opportunities' you realize, I know, that no one shoots one hundred percent and getting yourself in position for said opportunities is a rare skill.

In closing, I would rather have Drury, but it would have been nice to keep both for a couple more years.

While you are correct in a lot of what you say, you shouldn't diminish the "intangibles" that Danny brings to a team. Those close to the team will tell you that both players hated to lose as much as anyone they have ever been associated with. And don't diminish the edge the Briere gives his Flyer teammates who know that he has been there.

As far as "golden opportunities' you realize, I know, that no one shoots one hundred percent and getting yourself in position for said opportunities is a rare skill.

In closing, I would rather have Drury, but it would have been nice to keep both for a couple more years.

I agree.

thats true, but it won't be because of his play, or did he disapear in the playoffs this year too like last year?

Blowing a 2-0 lead in a game in your own building, when you can finish off your opponent and move on to the next round?

Quite right.

Game 7. We'll see whose d shows up.

I haven't heard much talk about Jurcinda or Modry this series, but

neither of these teams really have a 3rd D pair worth much at all.

I don't underestimate Danny's ability to bring leadership to a team. I have no doubt that he is a competitor. While he may be on par with Chris for these, he is by no mean above him. They both produced a lot offensively over the previous two post-seasons, but Chris contributed a lot more to the other half of the game. Chris anchored the PK, would backcheck with the best of them and was willing to throw his face in front of a puck when needed. In watching last night's game, I saw one good backcheck by Danny and no fire to try to light his team up. After they went down 3-2, the whole team let up and it got worse when they went down 4-2. I expected a leader to be fighting harder than anyone else at that point. For example, do you remember Roy during the Montreal game that they lost to get knocked out? He drew several penalties and made big offensive and defensive plays by playing like his hair was on fire. That's what I want to see and Chris had it. Danny? I don't know; sometimes it seemed not so much.

I don't underestimate Danny's ability to bring leadership to a team. I have no doubt that he is a competitor. While he may be on par with Chris for these, he is by no mean above him. They both produced a lot offensively over the previous two post-seasons, but Chris contributed a lot more to the other half of the game. Chris anchored the PK, would backcheck with the best of them and was willing to throw his face in front of a puck when needed. In watching last night's game, I saw one good backcheck by Danny and no fire to try to light his team up. After they went down 3-2, the whole team let up and it got worse when they went down 4-2. I expected a leader to be fighting harder than anyone else at that point. For example, do you remember Roy during the Montreal game that they lost to get knocked out? He drew several penalties and made big offensive and defensive plays by playing like his hair was on fire. That's what I want to see and Chris had it. Danny? I don't know; sometimes it seemed not so much.

There is a lot of different ways to lead and sometimes the general public is mislead by how things appear as opposed to how they are. I always relate Rick Martin to this when I hear people look for signs of "trying." Rico was as gifted as they come and because of it things came seemingly effortless for him. People were always on him because they thought he wasn't trying hard enough. Yet, you never heard "whispers" about him from anonymous teammates. They knew how serious he was and how hard he really worked.

Danny is much the same way. People have no idea how hard he works and how respected he is amongst his peers. You looked for fire for him yesterday and didn't see it. I saw a player driving to the net, getting himself in position, and creating scoring chances. I saw him finish his check on Washington's first goal which unfortunately left him out of the play and resulted in his first minus that DeLuca wants to make sure everyone knows he got. I saw a player win 68% of his face offs and lead all fowards in ice time (tied with Mike Richards).

I am not saying you are wrong, just offering a different view point, in keeping with my signature.

I have to ask this..Is your first name carp and your last dean?

wow. that was GUTLESS Danny. Absolutely GUTLESS. 2:00 to go in the 3rd period of a game 7 and you back away from the boards and the puck allowing the Caps to just skate the puck out of the zone? :thumbdown:

wow. that was GUTLESS Danny. Absolutely GUTLESS. 2:00 to go in the 3rd period of a game 7 and you back away from the boards and the puck allowing the Caps to just skate the puck out of the zone? :thumbdown:

What did you expect him to do? There wasn't a power play all period. He's saving his energy for the next one. Even if it's next year.

Archived