Danny Briere 2 goals last night

bob_sauve28

The Sabres value system must be a bit different...I will give the Sabres credit when due and their college prospects have to be considered the best in recent memory....I really like Gerbe's attitude and Kennedy looks to fit the mold of a streak shooter which is fine by me...My question is how long do they keep them in the minors

With Gerbe or Kennedy it isn't so much about how much time, but where do they fit on a line.

Take Clarke MacArthur- he really is a bubble player. Great skills, but if he can't crack the

top 2 lines1-6 forwards, he has to show he can outmuck the 7-12 or be a special teams standout.

..Wouldnt you think Collegiate hockey to be on par with AHL hockey?

Not even close.

With Gerbe or Kennedy it isn't so much about how much time, but where do they fit on a line.

Take Clarke MacArthur- he really is a bubble player. Great skills, but if he can't crack the

top 2 lines1-6 forwards, he has to show he can outmuck the 7-12 or be a special teams standout.

Not even close.

Well as far as centers go we only really have 2 on the team NHL caliber all the time..Gaustad and Roy, Connoly hurt to much to count and Mair is a guess if you want to count him..He could step in sooner than most..

Well as far as centers go we only really have 2 on the team NHL caliber all the time..Gaustad and Roy, Connoly hurt to much to count and Mair is a guess if you want to count him..He could step in sooner than most..

for me Mair is one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. some people might say Goose. but in relationship to his role, he delivers in my book! I am not a jersey guy, but if I was he would be my guy. :wub:

Not even close.

[/quotef

I'd be willing to bet that MacArthur is depth if Max is traded and eventually will be playing for someone other than Buffalo. You just can't keep tham all.

I like playoff Briere. He attacks the net and doesn't play constantly on the perimeter. He didn't score in game 2 but I thought he was pretty good that game. He's a freakin playoff beast. A game worn message board I belong too about a month ago some Philly fans were complaining about him and calling him a girl. I told those dorks that Danny was going to be huge for them in the playoffs. I know it's only 3 games in but so far it looks like I was right.

Danny looks confident out there right now. He's just driving the net like he's 6ft 6 because he knows no one from Washington is going to stop him from doing it.

Statline through 2 periods tonight:

Briere: 2 goals, 1 assist.

Naaaah, we don't need him- he's a has been, a one way player, and we're better off with Vanek.

Nice.

Sigh...

Everyone likes/liked Danny Briere. But not at 7.5 million per year.

I wish guys could get over it, no amount of whining and sarcasm is going to change anything.

The grass is always greener when your former guy on the other side is scoring goals. He'll have his 6-week slumps again, during which we'll be free of Briere Remorse threads.

I think we've got a lot to look forward to.

I like playoff Briere. He attacks the net and doesn't play constantly on the perimeter. He didn't score in game 2 but I thought he was pretty good that game. He's a freakin playoff beast. A game worn message board I belong too about a month ago some Philly fans were complaining about him and calling him a girl. I told those dorks that Danny was going to be huge for them in the playoffs. I know it's only 3 games in but so far it looks like I was right.

Danny looks confident out there right now. He's just driving the net like he's 6ft 6 because he knows no one from Washington is going to stop him from doing it.

They don't appreciate what they have- they'd rather have the Broad Street Bullies and lose I'd gather... I have always hated those morons.

I'm going to take this opportunity to again point out how idiotic the nickname "B-Rod" is (even if it is a somewhat clever pun). Briere is the leading playoff scorer in the ENTIRE LEAGUE over the last 3 seasons. He was money. I don't think we should've paid what the Flyers paid, but we didn't need to do so. We were foolish to let him go without even trying to sign him for $6 million x 6 years on January 1, 2007.

Sigh...

Everyone likes/liked Danny Briere. But not at 7.5 million per year.

I wish guys could get over it, no amount of whining and sarcasm is going to change anything.

The grass is always greener when your former guy on the other side is scoring goals. He'll have his 6-week slumps again, during which we'll be free of Briere Remorse threads.

I think we've got a lot to look forward to.

No doubt the guys good but even I didnt want to pay him that much..Way overpaid and when it comes down it to when the real teams play he will dissapear just like he always does..The only players we really miss are a healthy Mckee a fair priced Dumont Grier and Drury...End of story..Its over and its time to turn the page..Next

No doubt the guys good but even I didnt want to pay him that much..Way overpaid and when it comes down it to when the real teams play he will dissapear just like he always does..The only players we really miss are a healthy Mckee a fair priced Dumont Grier and Drury...End of story..Its over and its time to turn the page..Next

Maybe the rest of the league will live and learn that cherrypicking & overpaying Sabres doesnt always work out for you! :unsure:

p.s. maybe I should've saved this post until Kalinin & Max were gone. Oops.

I'm going to take this opportunity to again point out how idiotic the nickname "B-Rod" is (even if it is a somewhat clever pun). Briere is the leading playoff scorer in the ENTIRE LEAGUE over the last 3 seasons. He was money. I don't think we should've paid what the Flyers paid, but we didn't need to do so. We were foolish to let him go without even trying to sign him for $6 million x 6 years on January 1, 2007.

He makes a living standing 6 feet next to net on the goal-line. Where he is deadly.

The world waits for Washington to adjust..... :)

I was thinking the other day that if we had signed Briere last year and then signed Gerbe this year, we could have had the gigantic ... no wait, it would have been guge (see playoff GDT for Sunday) ... PP unit of:

Roy - 5' 9"

Briere - 5' 10"

Gerbe - 5' 5"

Spacek - 5' 11"

Pominville - 6' 0"

Average height: 5' 9.4"

I'm going to take this opportunity to again point out how idiotic the nickname "B-Rod" is (even if it is a somewhat clever pun). Briere is the leading playoff scorer in the ENTIRE LEAGUE over the last 3 seasons. He was money. I don't think we should've paid what the Flyers paid, but we didn't need to do so.

Agree with all that -- but I lopped off the bit about a non-buyer's regret on when and for how much we could've had him -- I will always believe that Danny was tacking toward a free market payday -- and I don't resent him for that one bit.

when it comes down it to when the real teams play he will dissapear just like he always does

I know that his inability to grind and dig out pucks was a source of frustration during the playoffs of 2007 (I shared in that frustration) -- the above statement is an overstatement of the same. I have two things to say about this in retrospect: (1) I don't think that part of the game was ever properly part of his "job description," if you will; in 2007, opposing teams (especially ott'wa) figured out ways to take him out of the game -- that can happen to the best of them: just ask Ovechkin. (2) IIRC, he all but carried us for significant portions of the 2006 playoffs (and, had we not lost an apparent Conn Smythe nominee in the ECSF and been down to Jillison and Rip Simonick as our 5th and 6th defensemen in the ECF, he quite likely would've been the key to bringing a Cup home).

He makes a living standing 6 feet next to net on the goal-line. Where he is deadly.

The world waits for Washington to adjust..... :)

Yup.

I know that his inability to grind and dig out pucks was a source of frustration during the playoffs of 2007 (I shared in that frustration) -- the above statement is an overstatement of the same. I have two things to say about this in retrospect: (1) I don't think that part of the game was ever properly part of his "job description," if you will; in 2007, opposing teams (especially ott'wa) figured out ways to take him out of the game -- that can happen to the best of them: just ask Ovechkin. (2) IIRC, he all but carried us for significant portions of the 2006 playoffs (and, had we not lost an apparent Conn Smythe nominee in the ECSF and been down to Jillison and Rip Simonick as our 5th and 6th defensemen in the ECF, he quite likely would've been the key to bringing a Cup home).

Great post. I would just point out that the success other teams have had in taking him out of the game has by definition been quite limited, since he is the leading playoff scorer in the NHL over the past 3 years. Even against the Senators last year in the playoffs, he had 4 points in 5 games.

People say he's not worth 7.5 million a year. Vanek is getting 7 million a year, and he's not worth it. Vanek was benched most of the last 2 playoff seasons. I would have rather we gave Vanek's contract to Briere because Briere was worth the money, especially in the playoffs. Great job Sabres management!!

My friend Heather called us the minor league team of the NHL, where players go to become good then leave, or washed up players come for a 2nd chance. Sounds about right to me.

Great post. I would just point out that the success other teams have had in taking him out of the game has by definition been quite limited, since he is the leading playoff scorer in the NHL over the past 3 years. Even against the Senators last year in the playoffs, he had 4 points in 5 games.

Thanks, Free - that means something coming from you. And you make a fair point as well.

There may've been a way in which the gaps in Briere's game (which were always there, always the same) became a lightning rod for our frustrations with the team's overall inability to shoot-in, punish, retrieve, and cycle in the 2007 playoffs (and beyond). But like I said, it was never Danny's job to do that sort of work.

That said, and even with his performance in round 1 this year, the numbers that would have been required to keep him here didn't, and still don't, make sense.

People say he's not worth 7.5 million a year. Vanek is getting 7 million a year, and he's not worth it.

Just because TV isn't worth $7 million doesn't mean that Briere is worth $7.5 million. They can both not be worth that much. The Oilers dictated the terms of Vanek's contract and, given the uproar over losing Briere and Drury, the team really would have had a reputation problem if they had let him go too.

Besides, while TV had an off year, he still scored 36 goals, 4 hat tricks and 9 game winning goals. Time will tell if it was just an adjustment year or if he really will fall short of expectations, but it was a gamble with a huge potential up side and, apparently, a small potential down size. Do I think he was worth $7 million? Probably not, but he definitely has the potential to turn out to be worth more.

The real point, though, wasn't whether Danny or Thomas should get the money, or even if Danny or Roy should get the money; it was whether Danny or Chris should get the money. They made the right decision to give it to Chris. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, but that was their plan.

People say he's not worth 7.5 million a year. Vanek is getting 7 million a year, and he's not worth it. Vanek was benched most of the last 2 playoff seasons. I would have rather we gave Vanek's contract to Briere because Briere was worth the money, especially in the playoffs. Great job Sabres management!!

Forget the money.....teams have to spend a certain amount of money....look at the term.

I'm not being facetious when I say if you are going to compare the two we'll have a better idea in 2014.

That Briere can score on the rush and near the net is no surprise.

What happens in a 7 game series is that you can't hide bad D pairings. Esp. on the road.

Just because TV isn't worth $7 million doesn't mean that Briere is worth $7.5 million. They can both not be worth that much. The Oilers dictated the terms of Vanek's contract and, given the uproar over losing Briere and Drury, the team really would have had a reputation problem if they had let him go too.

Besides, while TV had an off year, he still scored 36 goals, 4 hat tricks and 9 game winning goals. Time will tell if it was just an adjustment year or if he really will fall short of expectations, but it was a gamble with a huge potential up side and, apparently, a small potential down size. Do I think he was worth $7 million? Probably not, but he definitely has the potential to turn out to be worth more.

The real point, though, wasn't whether Danny or Thomas should get the money, or even if Danny or Roy should get the money; it was whether Danny or Chris should get the money. They made the right decision to give it to Chris. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, but that was their plan.

That's my problem with management, you don't wait until a players contract is up to negiotiate with them, and you don't let other teams dictate contracts to your players. For this reasoning, I don't know why our management team hasn't been fired yet?! Now I'm not going to say that I can do a better job at being a VP or a GM of a professional sports team, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist to figure out that you should try to resign your players before the start of their final season under contract, and not wait until their contract is up. I don't want to hear any crap that management learn it's lesson, that's inexcusable, they dropped the ball and it cost us this year.

Archived