Danny Briere 2 goals last night

bob_sauve28

B-Rod fits him. He had a chance to sign with the Sabres and would be a Sabre today if he didn't decide to go to arbitration instead of showing loyalty to the team that saved his career by rescuing him from the scrap heap. B-Rod can spew all the crap he wants about how he loves the city and the the fans. He chose the money over staying a Sabre.

None of that even matters now. Roy has stepped up and proven to be every bit the scorer Briere is and guess what? Roy actually knows where the defensive zone is. I was glad to see that without the B-Rod influence Roy's crying to refs dropped significantly. I am also glad to see Pominville's production rise without Briere. While Briere's production took a nose dive without Pominville. 23 less points and his +/- dropped by 39.

And enough of how the Sabres would be in the playoffs if they had B-Rod. Did anyone even watch this season? The Sabres problem wasn't goal scoring. They finished 4th in the league in goals. The Sabres missed out because of inconsistent goaltending and bad defensive play. Neither of which B-Rod would ever contribute to in a positive way. Can anyone explain how adding a forward with zero desire to put any effort into the defensive game would have helped the Sabres defensive corps or goaltending?

Look, if you don't like the guy because he doesn't play defense is one thing. But, being pissed because he went to salary arbitration is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm curious, but where are the complaints from 2005 when he went to salary arbitration and was awarded $2.55 million which the Sabres accepted? Did you forget about that, or was he overpaid at $2.55 million then too? While we're on the topic of salary arbitration, what about that greedy SOB Adam Mair going to arbitration and being awarded $625K. That jacka$$ showed zero loyalty to this team by taking them to arbitration. And your golden boy Derek Roy is the most loyal of players around. Let's not forget that he was 1 hour away from going into an arbitration hearing before he finally agreed to a contract. How much loyalty does he have to Buffalo when he had no problems going to arbitration? Should we be calling Roy D-Rod? Seems to be appropriate considering he almost went to arbitration. How about Thomas Vanek? He has zero loyalty to the Sabres since he actually signed an offer sheet with Edmonton, and the Sabres matched. Is it not appropriate to call him T-Rod? In fact, a player who files for arbitration is inherently more loyal to the team than one that signs an offer sheet. At least the player who goes to arbitration is willing to stay with the team. A guy who signs an offer sheet doesn't even care. So, how's T-Rod going? A subpar year for $10 million? The fact that you are upset that he took the team to arbitration shows your complete ignorance and lack of sense. I will not try to censor you from posting because the more you do, the more ignorant your make yourself. Keep on posting.

Look, if you don't like the guy because he doesn't play defense is one thing. But, being pissed because he went to salary arbitration is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm curious, but where are the complaints from 2005 when he went to salary arbitration and was awarded $2.55 million which the Sabres accepted? Did you forget about that, or was he overpaid at $2.55 million then too? While we're on the topic of salary arbitration, what about that greedy SOB Adam Mair going to arbitration and being awarded $625K. That jacka$$ showed zero loyalty to this team by taking them to arbitration. And your golden boy Derek Roy is the most loyal of players around. Let's not forget that he was 1 hour away from going into an arbitration hearing before he finally agreed to a contract. How much loyalty does he have to Buffalo when he had no problems going to arbitration? Should we be calling Roy D-Rod? Seems to be appropriate considering he almost went to arbitration. How about Thomas Vanek? He has zero loyalty to the Sabres since he actually signed an offer sheet with Edmonton, and the Sabres matched. Is it not appropriate to call him T-Rod? In fact, a player who files for arbitration is inherently more loyal to the team than one that signs an offer sheet. At least the player who goes to arbitration is willing to stay with the team. A guy who signs an offer sheet doesn't even care. So, how's T-Rod going? A subpar year for $10 million? The fact that you are upset that he took the team to arbitration shows your complete ignorance and lack of sense. I will not try to censor you from posting because the more you do, the more ignorant your make yourself. Keep on posting.

Thank you. Great post!!!

I hate the Flyers too, yes they beat us in the Stanley Cup during the 74-75 season. I hate the Stars, Cowboys, Giants & Redskins because they beat us in Championship games too!! I especially hate the Stars & Brett Hull. But I don't see how people can buy a players jersey (like Briere's), cheer for him & go nuts when he scores and makes awesome plays, to booing him because he left our team due to free agency and our management not offering him a contract. Did Briere say we need to move to Toronto, say there's nothing to do in Buffalo, and make fun of the women of Buffalo...NO!!! So, there's no reason to boo or dislike him.

Solid reasoning.

But this is an area in my life where I tolerate irrationality.

That means reason doesn't work. ;)

Although I like to think I can still talk about his play reasonably, and if we traded for

Jeff Carter I would be overjoyed. However until then, I am helpless. I cheer for and against the laundry. The last thing I am worried about is how Danny Briere feels when he gets booed.

Hopefully bad enough to be distracted and cough up the puck so we can score the winning goal.

I'd be okay with that.

This is where I stop being rational. Cut it out. Let your nostalgia for this man die.

He'll be a Flyer for up to 7 more years.

Briere is not a Sabre. He's a Flyer. (I just drew up bile saying the team name).

I stopped thinking of him as a Sabre somewhere around November. I admit it took at least that long but now the transformation is complete.

My irrational hate for all things Flyer doesn't quite extend to his immediate family,

nor do I wish him any Pelle Lindbergh type of fate. But now that he is a Flyer and wearing

burnt orange (the color of the Anti-Christ and early 80's Pop bands) he gets no love from me. I don't only want him and them to lose, I want him and them to lose in the most embarrassing ways possible. I want the series winning goal to bounce off his head into his own net - that's what I want. And why shouldn't I? He's a Flyer.

No Flyer gets a cozy welcome in HSBC or in the whole city.

I didn't write that rule. But that's the way it has to be.

He's a Flyer.

Great post and 100% correct.

B-Rod fits him. He had a chance to sign with the Sabres and would be a Sabre today if he didn't decide to go to arbitration instead of showing loyalty to the team that saved his career by rescuing him from the scrap heap. B-Rod can spew all the crap he wants about how he loves the city and the the fans. He chose the money over staying a Sabre.

None of that even matters now. Roy has stepped up and proven to be every bit the scorer Briere is and guess what? Roy actually knows where the defensive zone is. I was glad to see that without the B-Rod influence Roy's crying to refs dropped significantly. I am also glad to see Pominville's production rise without Briere. While Briere's production took a nose dive without Pominville. 23 less points and his +/- dropped by 39.

And enough of how the Sabres would be in the playoffs if they had B-Rod. Did anyone even watch this season? The Sabres problem wasn't goal scoring. They finished 4th in the league in goals. The Sabres missed out because of inconsistent goaltending and bad defensive play. Neither of which B-Rod would ever contribute to in a positive way. Can anyone explain how adding a forward with zero desire to put any effort into the defensive game would have helped the Sabres defensive corps or goaltending?

Bestid. You couldn't let it lie, could you? OK, here are some facts:

1. A-Rod is quite possibly the biggest playoff choke artist in the history of professional sports.

2. Briere was our leading playoff scorer for the previous 2 seasons and is the leading playoff scorer in the ENTIRE LEAGUE over the past 3 seasons. If you want to dislike Briere -- it's a free country. But to imply that he doesn't produce in the playoffs is nonsense.

3. Briere was our leading scorer last year.

4. The Sabres lost THIRTY games this year in which they scored 2 or fewer goals. To pretend that the Sabres' offense was fine this year, and the failure to make the playoffs is all b/c of the defense, is to deny reality.

5. Darcy and Lindy spoke repeatedly in the year-ending presser about how the loss of leadership (and they named Briere, Drury and Teppo) had a substantial negative effect on this team.

6. Roy is a good player but (i) he's nowhere near as good as Briere is in the shootout, on breakaways or at setting up teammates and (ii) there was never a need to choose one vs. the other. We could and should have had both. I like both Roy and Pominville, but if they are so great -- why are they playing golf right now?

7. Briere did indeed choose the money over staying a Sabre. To be specific, he chose $50 million to leave over $25 million to stay. No one here would do otherwise or would advise their kids or their clients to do otherwise. That's just the truth. Now, you would have more of an argument on this point if the Sabres had made him an offer on Jan. 1, or at least well in advance of free agency, but they didn't.

I'll let it go if you will.

I hate the Flyers too

Fair - but I don't get the sense that you hate them with the depth and context that is maintained by some of the old-timers around here.

I hate the Stars, Cowboys, Giants & Redskins because they beat us in Championship games too!!

And it's this sort of thing that gives me that sense, as referenced above. A hatred of the Flyers certainly traces a good deal of its pedigree to 1975, but there's much, much more to it than just that.

But I don't see how people can buy a players jersey (like Briere's), cheer for him & go nuts when he scores and makes awesome plays, to booing him because he left our team due to free agency and our management not offering him a contract. Did Briere say we need to move to Toronto, say there's nothing to do in Buffalo, and make fun of the women of Buffalo...NO!!! So, there's no reason to boo or dislike him.

That's wrong. While I am loath to invoke idioms that the actual players on our beloved teams should properly invoke, the idea here is a simple one: you cheer for (and against) the crest on the front, not the name(s) on the back. Granted, the name on the back of a particular Flyer jersey might invoke a little more energy from our home crowd than others, but that's something that's a bit happenstance and, frankly, fleeting.

Speaking only for myself, since I am one of the whiners -- most of my "whines" come in response to the gratuitous shots a number of posters here seem to enjoy taking at Briere. I find these ridiculous, especially when we are on the sidelines during the playoffs and Briere, our leading playoff scorer for the previous 2 seasons, is leading the worst team in the NHL last year into the 2nd round.

However, I will also admit to unprovoked whining about losing Briere, and why not? As a reminder, WE WON THE GD PRESIDENT'S TROPHY LAST YEAR!! The President's trophy winner has only failed to make the playoffs THREE TIMES IN THE LAST 40 YEARS!! IT IS PATHETIC THAT WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR!! And to me it is clear as an effing bell that we should've tried to keep Briere, and that if we had done so, he would've signed on Jan. 1 2007 for much less than Philly signed him for, and we'd be in the playoffs.

So, yes, I'm whining about it. I prefer it when the Sabres are in the playoffs. I'm PO'd that management butchered our team. And Danny's outstanding playoff performance this year is rubbing it my face and opening the wound again.

As for the playoff game where he was the worst player on the ice -- which one was it?

Exactly. The Briere-bashing is ridiculous.

Another poster already alluded to it, but the team Danny is on now only resembles last year's team in name and jersey color only. Very disingenuous. And another thing, the point about the President's Trophy winner is also disingenuous. How many of those teams played in the salary cap era? Right. The league has been crushed to the middle. So, shouting about meaningless stats out of context doesn't really serve anyone, nor does it really illuminate any particular issue better.

On second thought, I don't want to mention the game here to protect the innocent... :)

Fair - but I don't get the sense that you hate them with the depth and context that is maintained by some of the old-timers around here.

And it's this sort of thing that gives me that sense, as referenced above. A hatred of the Flyers certainly traces a good deal of its pedigree to 1975, but there's much, much more to it than just that.

That's wrong. While I am loath to invoke idioms that the actual players on our beloved teams should properly invoke, the idea here is a simple one: you cheer for (and against) the crest on the front, not the name(s) on the back. Granted, the name on the back of a particular Flyer jersey might invoke a little more energy from our home crowd than others, but that's something that's a bit happenstance and, frankly, fleeting.

Trust me, I hate the flyers & their fans!! When I was on active duty, I had to hear the idiot Flyers fans in 97' when they beat us in the 2nd round, and in 00' when they beat us in the 1st round.

I will always respect and like a former Sabre/Bill that I liked and rooted for, just as long as they don't do a McGahee and trash talk the city where they onced played. I hope Briere & Biron do well in Philly, but I hope the Flyers get bounced in the 2nd round. I hate the Caps because of their idiot fans, which I had more than 1 run-in with. I had a dumbass in a full sized chevy suv purposely cut-me & my girlfriend (now wife) off the road, after Game 2 of the 97' EC Finals in DC. Phuq the Caps & their fans!!!!

I don't understand why, when players like Briere go to another team, they're booed when they come back to Buffalo, called overrated, and 'he didn't do this or didn't do that when he was with us'. I don't blame Briere for taking a big contract and going to Philly, if he got seriously injured (either on or off the ice) at least he made enough money to take care of himself & family. Look at what happened to Kevin Everett last year, who's to say that can't happen in the NHL?

I could see bashing a player like Willis Mcgahee, because he thrash talked Buffalo big time. But what did Briere, Drury or any other ex-Sabre of the last 2 years do to deserve the harsh criticism that they are getting now? If you want to blame anyone or anything, blame Free Agency.

For me, the Briere arbitration tore this team apart and almost guaranteed another strike/lockout. He would not have received $5M on the open market. Dumont only got about 77% of his award with Nashville. It's too bad the Sabres accepted it. Maybe salaries wouldn't have spiraled out of control as fast as they have.

The NHLPA may not realize it, but it has is much an interest in the NHL's success as the team owners, yet they have no interest in growing salaries by growing the game. They'd rather money grub till the league starts threatening contraction.

So, Briere represents that whole mess for me.

Trust me, I hate the flyers & their fans!! When I was on active duty, I had to hear the idiot Flyers fans in 97' when they beat us in the 2nd round, and in 00' when they beat us in the 1st round.

Gotcha.

I will always respect and like a former Sabre/Bill that I liked and rooted for, just as long as they don't do a McGahee and trash talk the city where they onced played.

I understand that.

I hope Briere & Biron do well in Philly

I hold no such hopes - quite the opposite.

I hope Briere & Biron do well in Philly, but I hope the Flyers get bounced in the 2nd round.

To me, these two desires are -- under almost all circumstances -- irreconcilably at odds.

I hate the Caps because of their idiot fans

Good to know those exist ... beyond the recent Ovechkin-derived bandwagoners ... almost like a yeti sighting.

I think we just need to put the Danny Briere/Chris Drury topic to rest. We've beaten a dead horse past cremation on this issue. Hopefully, we'll enjoy better seasons for the Bills & Sabres in the fall.

Summer is approaching, let's have a good time this summer and worry about our sports teams after the summer fun is over with.

Gotcha.

I understand that.

I hold no such hopes - quite the opposite.

To me, these two desires are -- under almost all circumstances -- irreconcilably at odds.

Good to know those exist ... beyond the recent Ovechkin-derived bandwagoners ... almost like a yeti sighting.

I lived in DC for about 3 years recently. I think DCSabre and Mike Oxhurtz can attest to this. There is no such thing as a true Caps fan. DC is made up of a bunch of people that come from somewhere else, hence the hoards of Sabres fans at Verizon Center for games. Additionally, DC has and always will be a football first town, everything is secondary and bandwagon including the new baseball team. With regard to the Caps, this is a complete bandwagon. I lived there during Ovechkin's rookie season, and the only time a game sold out was when the Sabres came to town. I lived there when Jagr was there, at that time, the "best player in the NHL" and games were never sold out. So, I cannot believe that there is such a thing as a true Caps fan. I'm sure there are a few here and there, but what you are seeing in terms of playoffs is just a huge bandwagon that will jump off the moment the playoffs are over.

I lived in DC for about 3 years recently. I think DCSabre and Mike Oxhurtz can attest to this. There is no such thing as a true Caps fan. DC is made up of a bunch of people that come from somewhere else, hence the hoards of Sabres fans at Verizon Center for games. Additionally, DC has and always will be a football first town, everything is secondary and bandwagon including the new baseball team. With regard to the Caps, this is a complete bandwagon. I lived there during Ovechkin's rookie season, and the only time a game sold out was when the Sabres came to town. I lived there when Jagr was there, at that time, the "best player in the NHL" and games were never sold out. So, I cannot believe that there is such a thing as a true Caps fan. I'm sure there are a few here and there, but what you are seeing in terms of playoffs is just a huge bandwagon that will jump off the moment the playoffs are over.

You're 100% right!!!

Another poster already alluded to it, but the team Danny is on now only resembles last year's team in name and jersey color only. Very disingenuous. And another thing, the point about the President's Trophy winner is also disingenuous. How many of those teams played in the salary cap era? Right. The league has been crushed to the middle. So, shouting about meaningless stats out of context doesn't really serve anyone, nor does it really illuminate any particular issue better.

On second thought, I don't want to mention the game here to protect the innocent... :)

Here are some additional facts that might provide some "context" and make the stats I mention above less "meaningless":

1. Of the Flyers' top 5 skaters this year in ice time, 4 were Flyers last year (as were 6 of the top 9).

2. Notwithstanding #1 above, I agree that the Flyers substantially changed their team. They identified their needs and aggressively pursued remedies. Why did we not do the same?

3. Your answer to #2 above might be that that the cap generally crunches teams to the middle. I agree with that too. The question then is: how does your team's management handle the cap? Do they handle it competently, or incompetently? You might say the Flyers did a good job, but they had nowhere to go but up, and what they did is easier than staying on top. Or, you might say that they handled the new capped NHL world competently, and we handled it incompetently.

4. As for context regarding President's trophy winners and how they did the subsequent season: how 'bout the Red Wings? They won the President's trophy in 2005-06 (during the cap era), locked up Datsyuk and Zetterberg, were 2nd in the NHL in points and went to the conf. finals in 2006-07, and then won the President's trophy again this year. They managed to stay on top. Why couldn't we do the same -- or at least stay out of the basement?

I'm not in the fire-Darcy, Quinn=Satan group. But I also don't think we should pretend that last summer was anything other than a debacle, and one that had real and destructive consequences. If management doesn't learn from it (and I think they will), it will happen again.

I think we just need to put the Danny Briere/Chris Drury topic to rest. We've beaten a dead horse past cremation on this issue. Hopefully, we'll enjoy better seasons for the Bills & Sabres in the fall.

Summer is approaching, let's have a good time this summer and worry about our sports teams after the summer fun is over with.

This is Buffalo, we might put it to rest only to have another disaster to cry about in 3 months...

Did Roy go to arbitration? No! He signed. So, there is no comparison there.

Vanek is a completely different story. The Oilers threw $50 million dollars at him and I have no problem with that. I really don't care that the Flyers threw $50 million at Briere. If they want to waste their money go ahead. I believe Briere turned down an offer of around $4 million a year which was more then fair and more then I would have paid him. When he went to arbitration the Sabres should have walked away. As it turns out it seems the Sabres felt the same way and went into last season with little or no intention of signing him, IMO.

It's funny that Vanek's sub-par year netted him 36 goals and 64 points. 64 points? In Briere's 7+ years in the NHL that is a total he only passed three times. I still can't believe so many on this board would try to call him a 100pt player when he has proven again this season he is clearly not. Not that any player is worth $50 million I think Vanek proved he is more worthy than B-Rod.

Adam Mair? Why would anyone care what Adam Mair does? It's like bringing up Andrew Peters went to arbitration. Those are the type of players arbitration is for. If the Sabres like the number they sign it. If not they let them go. No loss.

The life of this thread is absurd. Methinks some people should go buy a black and orange Danny jersey and be done with it.

You have 60 posts and I think all but 1 have been a shot at something on this board or at someone on this board..Give it a rest..I myself have only become negative the past 3 months..But I was happy once..You sir came out of the womb in a bad mood...

Did Roy go to arbitration? No! He signed. So, there is no comparison there.

Vanek is a completely different story. The Oilers threw $50 million dollars at him and I have no problem with that. I really don't care that the Flyers threw $50 million at Briere. If they want to waste their money go ahead. I believe Briere turned down an offer of around $4 million a year which was more then fair and more then I would have paid him. When he went to arbitration the Sabres should have walked away. As it turns out it seems the Sabres felt the same way and went into last season with little or no intention of signing him, IMO.

It's funny that Vanek's sub-par year netted him 36 goals and 64 points. 64 points? In Briere's 7+ years in the NHL that is a total he only passed three times. I still can't believe so many on this board would try to call him a 100pt player when he has proven again this season he is clearly not. Not that any player is worth $50 million I think Vanek proved he is more worthy than B-Rod.

Adam Mair? Why would anyone care what Adam Mair does? It's like bringing up Andrew Peters went to arbitration. Those are the type of players arbitration is for. If the Sabres like the number they sign it. If not they let them go. No loss.

Leave it to you to completely miss the point. Restricted free agents basically have three choices: file for arbitration, sign an offer sheet, or do nothing and negotiate in good faith. Briere was a restricted free agent. What was he supposed to do? And, I love you how you discount how Briere scored 58 points in 48 games in 2005-2006 and of course minimize his contribution of only exceeding 64 points 3 times. Is he supposed to score more than 64 in 48 games? If he did, would he still be an average player?

You have missed the point completely. You brought up that Briere filed for arbitration therefore he is greedy. How then is Adam Mair less greedy? How then is Derek Roy less greedy? What is different about those guys than Briere? They're all players who want to make as much money as they can. And Roy only signed after he got more than what he would have asked for in his arbitration hearing. Otherwise, he was minutes from going to arbitration. And don't think for one second that Roy is staying in Buffalo because of loyalty to the team or taking a hometown discount. Roy is and is going to be a great player for the Sabres for a long time, but don't think he's in Buffalo because he's loyal, he's here because Darcy ponied up the big bucks to keep him here. As for T-Rod, I don't know how you can say he isn't greedy. Edmonton did not just throw an offer sheet out. Clearly, you don't understand how the process works. Vanek and his agent initiated the process by soliciting offer sheets from multiple teams and signed the highest one they received. If that does not speak to his greed, I don't know what does? T-Rod has no loyalty to Buffalo and is ridiculously greedy. He's only here because Buffalo matched. It's the same reason why Briere played for the Sabres last year because they accepted the award. It's the same reason why he played in Buffalo in 2005-2006 because they also accepted the arbitration award then as well. None of these players are loyal to the team. They're all out to make as much money as they can. None of them have loyalty, and all of them are greedy. So calling Briere B-Rod because he wants money is the same as calling Vanek T-Rod or Roy D-Rod. They're all greedy players and none of them have any loyalty whatsoever.

Also, T-Rod scoring 64 points to Briere's 71 points, by my math has him scoring less points than Briere. I have no idea how 7 less points in MORE games played makes one person more worthy of making $10 million this season than another, but maybe you can explain the convoluted math that you seem to use to spout your illogical nonsense.

Leave it to you to completely miss the point. Restricted free agents basically have three choices: file for arbitration, sign an offer sheet, or do nothing and negotiate in good faith. Briere was a restricted free agent. What was he supposed to do? And, I love you how you discount how Briere scored 58 points in 48 games in 2005-2006 and of course minimize his contribution of only exceeding 64 points 3 times. Is he supposed to score more than 64 in 48 games? If he did, would he still be an average player?

You have missed the point completely. You brought up that Briere filed for arbitration therefore he is greedy. How then is Adam Mair less greedy? How then is Derek Roy less greedy? What is different about those guys than Briere? They're all players who want to make as much money as they can. And Roy only signed after he got more than what he would have asked for in his arbitration hearing. Otherwise, he was minutes from going to arbitration. And don't think for one second that Roy is staying in Buffalo because of loyalty to the team or taking a hometown discount. Roy is and is going to be a great player for the Sabres for a long time, but don't think he's in Buffalo because he's loyal, he's here because Darcy ponied up the big bucks to keep him here. As for T-Rod, I don't know how you can say he isn't greedy. Edmonton did not just throw an offer sheet out. Clearly, you don't understand how the process works. Vanek and his agent initiated the process by soliciting offer sheets from multiple teams and signed the highest one they received. If that does not speak to his greed, I don't know what does? T-Rod has no loyalty to Buffalo and is ridiculously greedy. He's only here because Buffalo matched. It's the same reason why Briere played for the Sabres last year because they accepted the award. It's the same reason why he played in Buffalo in 2005-2006 because they also accepted the arbitration award then as well. None of these players are loyal to the team. They're all out to make as much money as they can. None of them have loyalty, and all of them are greedy. So calling Briere B-Rod because he wants money is the same as calling Vanek T-Rod or Roy D-Rod. They're all greedy players and none of them have any loyalty whatsoever.

Also, T-Rod scoring 64 points to Briere's 71 points, by my math has him scoring less points than Briere. I have no idea how 7 less points in MORE games played makes one person more worthy of making $10 million this season than another, but maybe you can explain the convoluted math that you seem to use to spout your illogical nonsense.

Being 24 and constantly working on improving go towards being more worthy. B-Rod is maxed out at 71 points. Vanek has 64 in a down year. Vanek is working at becoming a complete player. Briere is happy floating around the ice avoiding contact and the defensive zone. Vanek has the talent to become as great a player as he choses to be. B-Rod is what he is. A 60 point player with zero upside. He's not going to better and his aversion to learning the defensive game will make him less attractive in a year or two when Philly tries dig themselves out from under his contract.

You're right, if management screws up again in the offseason, we'll be bit@hing again.

I m tired of being po'd..I wish for something good to happen..I think if the right deal is there Darcy will make it and I also believe he will make one or two this yr and I wouldnt be surprised if it involved Tallinder and a top line forward other than max...

Being 24 and constantly working on improving go towards being more worthy. B-Rod is maxed out at 71 points. Vanek has 64 in a down year. Vanek is working at becoming a complete player. Briere is happy floating around the ice avoiding contact and the defensive zone. Vanek has the talent to become as great a player as he choses to be. B-Rod is what he is. A 60 point player with zero upside. He's not going to better and his aversion to learning the defensive game will make him less attractive in a year or two when Philly tries dig themselves out from under his contract.

Just thowin this at ya..It does take time to find the right line combo..Brierre had multiple linemates due to injurys this yr..But since they acquired Prospal he has been putting up points and playing well....I think Vanek could use some help but his help I think would come from a better line or two on the team and it would give Lindy better line change options..He went against the top lines all yr..I wouldnt cap Brierre out at 60 if Gagne comes back next yr and they keep prospal he could put up some BIG NUMBERS

Here are some additional facts that might provide some "context" and make the stats I mention above less "meaningless":

1. Of the Flyers' top 5 skaters this year in ice time, 4 were Flyers last year (as were 6 of the top 9).

2. Notwithstanding #1 above, I agree that the Flyers substantially changed their team. They identified their needs and aggressively pursued remedies. Why did we not do the same?

3. Your answer to #2 above might be that that the cap generally crunches teams to the middle. I agree with that too. The question then is: how does your team's management handle the cap? Do they handle it competently, or incompetently? You might say the Flyers did a good job, but they had nowhere to go but up, and what they did is easier than staying on top. Or, you might say that they handled the new capped NHL world competently, and we handled it incompetently.

4. As for context regarding President's trophy winners and how they did the subsequent season: how 'bout the Red Wings? They won the President's trophy in 2005-06 (during the cap era), locked up Datsyuk and Zetterberg, were 2nd in the NHL in points and went to the conf. finals in 2006-07, and then won the President's trophy again this year. They managed to stay on top. Why couldn't we do the same -- or at least stay out of the basement?

I'm not in the fire-Darcy, Quinn=Satan group. But I also don't think we should pretend that last summer was anything other than a debacle, and one that had real and destructive consequences. If management doesn't learn from it (and I think they will), it will happen again.

No, I'm not going to fight with the man behind the curtain pulling a bunch of levers... Whatever you just said there had little to do with "only 3 teams in history" and "Danny led the last place team into the playoffs."

1. No we are not Detroit. It wouldn't matter anyway because everyone here hates President Trophy winners and I don't believe they won the Stanley Cup either during that time.

2. I don't think you'll get a single Flyers fan to say "Danny led" anything this past season. He's not even the best center on his team.

3. The Flyers allowed 70 less goals this season. That might be the biggest one year swing in history. That might have something to do with their success.

No, I'm not going to fight with the man behind the curtain pulling a bunch of levers... Whatever you just said there had little to do with "only 3 teams in history" and "Danny led the last place team into the playoffs."

1. No we are not Detroit. It wouldn't matter anyway because everyone here hates President Trophy winners and I don't believe they won the Stanley Cup either during that time.

2. I don't think you'll get a single Flyers fan to say "Danny led" anything this past season. He's not even the best center on his team.

3. The Flyers allowed 70 less goals this season. That might be the biggest one year swing in history. That might have something to do with there success.

A-HA!!!! So you admit Biron has led this last place team to the playoffs this year?!?! If we can't get you on Danny we'll get you on Biron, or Don Luce, or Rory Fitzpatrick, or any other Sabre in recent memory that is part of this current team. You will admit that someone from this Sabres team has done something to lead last year's last place team to the playoffs?!?! :unsure:

Archived