UFAs Sabres may want to sign

It’s an interesting class, but it’s hard to get excited about it.

Not when your team has not shown much interest in, or got much interest from, the big names.

Not when our big splashes have been Hall, Okposo, Ehrhoff and Leino.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Michael McLeod is a 26yr old player on NJD that you could probably get and would have familiarity with Ruff. Since I have clearly lost the FOW debate, he has a career 58.3% and also 101 hits in 45 games last year. Would be someone that I think is a UFA because his last contract he didn't sign a qualifying offer but was just given a standard contract for 2 years. That is if I understand the CBA correctly. Still, this is a guy that fits perfectly at #4 center and can play some #3 center in a pinch. Career high of 26pts last year and a career high of 10g this year. 

Have the sexual assault charges been dropped and he is exonerated? If not I’d just as soon they stay away from any of those guys.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Michael McLeod is a 26yr old player on NJD that you could probably get and would have familiarity with Ruff. Since I have clearly lost the FOW debate, he has a career 58.3% and also 101 hits in 45 games last year. Would be someone that I think is a UFA because his last contract he didn't sign a qualifying offer but was just given a standard contract for 2 years. That is if I understand the CBA correctly. Still, this is a guy that fits perfectly at #4 center and can play some #3 center in a pinch. Career high of 26pts last year and a career high of 10g this year. 

He's never going to play in the NHL again 

• Like (+1) 3
  • dislike 1

Let’s all be honest, no top names are coming here to a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 13 seasons. Stamps is wanting to win cups not be excited to finally make a playoff appearance.

I’m not even being negative I just believe that’s the reality of the situation. We could however find some decent vet players who are excellent role players. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Improving our bottom 6 is the low hanging fruit that we can most easily cover through through FA. If we upped our spending there and spread it around across 3 or 4 players that are better than Robinson, Jost, Girgensons, etc we can really improve vs previous years.

Our top 6 still needs improvement too. Let's do that by trading picks and prospects. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Chandler Stephenson could be the veteran center they need for their 3rd line, with the ability to move up or play wing when needed. Good at face offs and penalty kill.

I can’t believe VO made almost $5 million. 😳

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd like Martinhook from Carolina, even prior to his save last night, solid defensive winger who could work as a good counter to Skinner on the 3rd line.

Yeah, Jordan Martinook seems like one of those guys we've been missing for quite some time.  I'm certainly not an expert on all things Jordan Martinook, but always come away impressed in my limited viewings of his game.

If we were going to sign an old-timer, I'd definitely inquire about Joe Pavelski.  He's very long in the tooth, but still quite productive, and provides good all-around play with all the intangibles for a young team.  You could probably ink him for 1 year at a very reasonable dollar figure, although I can see Dallas re-upping him.  

34 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Chandler Stephenson could be the veteran center they need for their 3rd line, with the ability to move up or play wing when needed. Good at face offs and penalty kill.

He would be a smart addition to this team. He's got speed and wins draws. Plus two CUPS (WSH, VGK).

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheAud said:

Have the sexual assault charges been dropped and he is exonerated? If not I’d just as soon they stay away from any of those guys.

I thought they were but others are saying they weren't. If they weren't you can't bring him in. I don't see anything recently to tell me so guess he's off the list for now. 

Edit: I found the article I had read and I misread it. McCleod is still charged with 2 counts so he is clearly not an option and most likely will never play in the NHL again. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

I can’t believe VO made almost $5 million. 😳

He is on top of my list too. I think he will ask for a five year contract with NMC. The big question is if we are willing to give him that and 6-7mil/year. If he is even interested in coming here.

Does anyone know if any of the guys on the list have previously played for Ruff in Dallas, NYR (where he was an assistant), or NJD and might want to play for him again?  If a guy likes playing for Lindy or had a lot of success playing for Lindy, it might overcome the desire to avoid the Sabres organization.  Also, we often fail to forget that, despite the extended playoff drought, the Sabres have been a reasonably competitive team in the last 2 seasons and do have a lot of young talent, so it may not be quite as unattractive as some may think.  The team is not a cellar dweller fighting their way to the bottom (although there were not too long ago).  Furthermore, a lot of guys are from Southern Ontario or the NE United States, so Buffalo is close to home, which can be a draw.  Just trying to find some of the positives here....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Improving our bottom 6 is the low hanging fruit that we can most easily cover through through FA. If we upped our spending there and spread it around across 3 or 4 players that are better than Robinson, Jost, Girgensons, etc we can really improve vs previous years.

Our top 6 still needs improvement too. Let's do that by trading picks and prospects. 

Not to put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm for possible UFA upgrades, but if the Sabres just give conservative extensions to their RFA's and promote Levi, Johnson and Rousek to back-up roles, they are left with under $10 million to fill out three bottom-6 forward positions.  If the plan is to "up" spending on the bottom-6 (ie: spend more than the $8.6 million paid last year to Girgs, Okposo, Jost and Robinson), then the cap is nearly gone.  That assumes the Sabres are even considering spending something close to the cap.  I'm not trying to be pessimistic as I do think there are meaningful changes that can be made. But, unless they are willing to spend to the cap and/or trade a vet (Joker $$$ or higher) and/or buyout Skinner, they will just be playing with the edges of the roster.   

17 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Not to put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm for possible UFA upgrades, but if the Sabres just give conservative extensions to their RFA's and promote Levi, Johnson and Rousek to back-up roles, they are left with under $10 million to fill out three bottom-6 forward positions.  If the plan is to "up" spending on the bottom-6 (ie: spend more than the $8.6 million paid last year to Girgs, Okposo, Jost and Robinson), then the cap is nearly gone.  That assumes the Sabres are even considering spending something close to the cap.  I'm not trying to be pessimistic as I do think there are meaningful changes that can be made. But, unless they are willing to spend to the cap and/or trade a vet (Joker $$$ or higher) and/or buyout Skinner, they will just be playing with the edges of the roster.   

There goes my enthusiasm! Thanks! 

They should swing and miss/hit for Elias Lindholm. He creates so much position flexibility. Top 6 six center - allowing Cozens to slide into a 3C or top 6W. He can play your tough assignments against teams top scoring lines. While also giving you some production offensively. He is no Chris Drury - but he could be our theoretical Chris Drury. If we could get this guy to bite on a 5 x 8.5 contract...it would be gold for this team. That said - it may cost the Sabres 9+ to get him.....but...he changes the dynamic of this team. 

• Like (+1) 3

So many guys that can fill needs. I don't want to get caught up in too much wishing cause that'll lead to too much disappointment. KA should be active, simple as that, and he should be looking at guys who aren't over the hill yet and are good in the playoffs, not necessarily the regular season. 

• Like (+1) 1