The Sabres should trade the 11th overall pick in the 2024 draft

LGR4GM

Pick 11 is a valuable asset. 

We've also got a handful of recent picks that should have somewhat similar value depending on the beholder: Benson, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich and Rosen.

It’s not dissimilar to the Levi/1st package the Sabres got for Sam Reinhart.

Ideally I’m looking for a team that - through cap and/or contract - is going to have part ways with a forward in a similar career place to where Sam was 3 years ago and we make a similar trade.

The Dubois trade last year, Ottawa giving up a high first for Debrincat. St. Louis acquiring Brayden Schenn for two firsts, or O’Reilly for a 1st and Thompson; Florida getting Bennett for 2 2nds, LA nabbing Fiala for a 1st and Faber, even the Sabres getting O’Reilly for Compher, Zadorov and Grigorenko.

Its not usual for a deal like this to be available at the draft and we’ve got the pieces to make it happen.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It’s really quite weird how Buffalo media have been pushing narratives (i.e. the WR Train) now this.  It only creates a fervor in the fanbase followed by disappointment and anger.  Stop pushing your agenda and let these men do their jobs.  How many teams want to trade for the 11th pick in any draft?  Teams are lucky to find a top 6 forward or top 4 D there. Even then they are 3-4 years away from contributing.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

It’s really quite weird how Buffalo media have been pushing narratives (i.e. the WR Train) now this.  It only creates a fervor in the fanbase followed by disappointment and anger.  Stop pushing your agenda and let these men do their jobs.  How many teams want to trade for the 11th pick in any draft?  Teams are lucky to find a top 6 forward or top 4 D there. Even then they are 3-4 years away from contributing.  

Good points, but I think the fervour is there without the media.

Teams are rarely trading for the 11th pick because they’ve targeted a player. They’re trying to maximize value for a player who, for whatever reason, they feel that they have to trade.

The fanbase is sick of the future, they want now.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Good points, but I think the fervour is there without the media.

Teams are rarely trading for the 11th pick because they’ve targeted a player. They’re trying to maximize value for a player who, for whatever reason, they feel that they have to trade.

The fanbase is sick of the future, they want now.

I just don’t know if trading that pick = success now.  Maybe.  Maybe not. 

• Agree 1

I would move it for the right piece. 
Say Tampa wants to re-sign Stamkos and needs to move out some $ and re-stock their prospect cupboard.

#11 for Cirelli. 2-3C, 26 years old, 2 Cups and he plays all situations. $6.25 AAV. 
There could be other pieces to this to make it work.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I just don’t know if trading that pick = success now.  Maybe.  Maybe not. 

Yea screw it just draft a prospect who will never see the Sabres starting line as long as the Amerks keep making the playoffs.

Totally agree with this. We do NOT need another prospect. As of now we are loaded with them and there is no way we will have room for all of them in Buffalo. It seems almost daily, another Sabres prospect is making headlines somewhere in the world. If KA does not work out a good trade this offseason for someone that will help the Sabres now, he needs to be immediately shown the door. There are plenty of prospects of players that can be had if the price is right. Time to make that move!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Zach Benson????

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Could be.  Could also be any of these guys picked in the same spot over the years.

IMG_4875.png

Agreed, just pointing out that you absolutely can find a player that can play right away in the top 6. Admittedly though, not the norm.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Keep the pick, the pipeline can never have enough "potential" for the future.

There is truth in your statement but also some misgivings. There will not be enough room for every prospect we have to make the team. Unless we are going to let them go for nothing, they need to be used to get something that will help the team win now. One year without a a 1st round pick is not going to hurt our talent pipeline.

• Like (+1) 1

This seems like the year to trade the pick. 

They just committed to winning now.   They need veteran help.  They already have a bunch of prospects. 

If they don't trade it, the guy that could be intriguing is Iginla.  

• Like (+1) 2

I really liked the suggestion by another poster of trading 1 or 2 of Rosen, Kulich, Savoie or Östlund. Most of these guys are similar play styles with Kulich and Östlund being more 2 way type of players but I’d prefer to keep Savoie and Östlund.

The thing is has Rosen and Kulich done enough to garner a top line LW (which I think is a must)? I feel like it would also take our 1st round pick as well. 

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I would move it for the right piece. 

If this isn’t everyone’s opinion, they’re wrong. Harrington and Lysowski can tweet all they want, but guessing which team(s) even want the pick enough to trade for it is just one part of the problem. Those teams need to have the right assets to send back and assets that don’t have trade protections against Buffalo. I like the Tampa idea. Partly because I wanted Buffalo to offer sheet Cirelli way back in late 2020. But we don’t know if Tampa is interested in the pick or interested in moving Cirelli.

I saw someone on Reddit suggest we flip it to Chicago for Philipp Kurashev… as if Chicago would make that trade. I think we also overvalue what the 11th would get us or we live in a make believe land where every player is always available for trade.

Hence why the only correct attitude to have is the attitude we should move it for the right piece. Maybe instead of saying “GMKA should trade the pick” we should be rephrasing it to “GMKA should be shopping this pick to 31 teams.” The latter I’m 100% in support of. It just depends on the return.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Rather trade some of our prospects, all of them can't make it to a Sabres roster. But for a good player we need they can trade any pick it takes.

Say we would trade down from 11th to 25-30. How much is the pick worth? What could we get then?

14 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Its going to be hard to say they should or shouldn't trade the pick because we don't know (and maybe never will) know what the offer is for it.  There might be a great offer, there might be garbage. Its hard to say "trade the pick because they need help now, not in a few years" when you don't know the return. This is where you need trust in your GM.  Yeah, a lot of people don't, but he is going to be the one that knows what offers you can get for it, and he is the one that will make the decision.

If you are shopping it and getting 'subpar' offers in your opinion, then you keep it, you make the pick, you develop the player, and then there is nothing saying you can't trade that 'prospect' (or any other first round pick) anytime after.

The thing those who want the pick traded might have going for them is Lindy Ruff, and the hope he has roster input.  I'm pretty sure he would rather have a player that can help him NOW than invest in one that MIGHT help in 3-4 years from now.

8 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

If this isn’t everyone’s opinion, they’re wrong. Harrington and Lysowski can tweet all they want, but guessing which team(s) even want the pick enough to trade for it is just one part of the problem. Those teams need to have the right assets to send back and assets that don’t have trade protections against Buffalo. I like the Tampa idea. Partly because I wanted Buffalo to offer sheet Cirelli way back in late 2020. But we don’t know if Tampa is interested in the pick or interested in moving Cirelli.

I saw someone on Reddit suggest we flip it to Chicago for Philipp Kurashev… as if Chicago would make that trade. I think we also overvalue what the 11th would get us or we live in a make believe land where every player is always available for trade.

Hence why the only correct attitude to have is the attitude we should move it for the right piece. Maybe instead of saying “GMKA should trade the pick” we should be rephrasing it to “GMKA should be shopping this pick to 31 teams.” The latter I’m 100% in support of. It just depends on the return.

Abso-freakin-lutely.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

11th, Krebs and Joker for Cirelli and Cernak😜

Gives TB a top pick since they have none in the top 4 rounds and cheaper options with their cap troubles.

Gives Sabres two pieces they desperately need.

Honestly.....this isn't bad.  Makes sense for both teams.

• Like (+1) 2