OT - IIHF worlds 24

On 5/19/2024 at 4:34 PM, French Collection said:

Brandon Tanev playing a solid 4th line game for Canada. Blocking shots, PK, huge hit and hard on the forecheck.

Gritty, effort  type of player that the Sabres need.

100%. Exactly the type of player they need.  Actually they need  2 or 3 of these type of energy, do anything to win types

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Cozens scores shorthanded in OT to win it for Canada.

2 more goals today.

on 🔥 

Jeez.  Unbelievable.  Completely different player.  He definitely has it in himself... Just need the right coach to unlock it.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

Jeez.  Unbelievable.  Completely different player.  He definitely has it in himself... Just need the right coach to unlock it.  

Completely different level of competition helps too 

The kind that leads to Byram - Keith comparable tbh 

Edited by Thorny

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Completely different level of competition helps too 

The kind that leads to Byram - Keith comparable tbh 

I don’t expect him to become Keith; but stylistically he is similar in terms of being a skating defenseman who plays dirty at times

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

Cozens does well in this tournament. I don't think he played last year, but in 2022 I know he tied for the lead in goal scoring in the tournament.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Cozens does well in this tournament. I don't think he played last year, but in 2022 I know he tied for the lead in goal scoring in the tournament.

He plays within the structure, and doesn't have to think about the consistent pressure of the fans / media scrum continuously asking him about not making the playoffs.  I'm sure it is a bit consistently dogging to hear it non stop.  The players have to put the goals in the net, but at the same time, the management team needs to do more to bring this team together with the right momentum.  This offseason is so important.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I’ve watched every Canada game. He is skating hard and blowing by people. The odd time he will go through someone when he loses control of the puck. His shorthanded goals have been the driving to net variety. His PP goals have been snipes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I’ve watched every Canada game. He is skating hard and blowing by people. The odd time he will go through someone when he loses control of the puck. His shorthanded goals have been the driving to net variety. His PP goals have been snipes.

22-23 he was blowing by people all the time. I think it was the best part of his game... He had speed and power.

This year he'd always pull up and wait for help. I think this is the biggest reason for his regression. Not sure if it was coaching, confidence, injury, or what.

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Cozens scores shorthanded in OT to win it for Canada.

2 more goals today.

on 🔥 

So, what’s the deal here? Is the level of competition that much lower than the NHL or is he just on fire? I get there are many NHL players on these rosters, but they can’t all be. 

41 minutes ago, kas23 said:

So, what’s the deal here? Is the level of competition that much lower than the NHL or is he just on fire? I get there are many NHL players on these rosters, but they can’t all be. 

It's definitely the coaching but maybe I was wrong the pressure from the fans did get to him. 

44 minutes ago, kas23 said:

This is not NHL competition but the Czech team only has a handful of guys who have never played in the NHL. Their goalie played 44 games in the NHL this season.

He has elevated his game to lead a Canada team with Tavares, Bedard, 40 goal man McCann and former 35 goal scorer Mangiapane.

He can also play there without worrying about getting his face caved in.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

22-23 he was blowing by people all the time. I think it was the best part of his game... He had speed and power.

This year he'd always pull up and wait for help. I think this is the biggest reason for his regression. Not sure if it was coaching, confidence, injury, or what.

They ALL pulled up and waited for help / looked for the teammate with the clean shot away from the net rather than go for the contested shot in the slot.

When 1 or 2 guys do it, it's a confidence thing.  When they ALL do it, it's coaching.  And it's probably a big part of why the D couldn't handle pucks going below the goalline - they never worked against it except in games.  The answer to improve the D seemed to be to become a "puck possession" team.  But puck possession simply for the sake of puck possession usually backfires as you squander opportunities to get high danger chances and the other team doesn't respect that you will attack, so they can pressure and pursue away from the net with little fear of getting burned.

Provided the NHL hasn't passed Ruff by, there is a real good chance that the team will be improved simply by playing an NHL game and by having the kids a year closer to their primes.

Cozens could be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the coaching change.  He'll likely have Quinn stapled to his side most season and he won't be expected to avoid driving to the slot.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

They ALL pulled up and waited for help / looked for the teammate with the clean shot away from the net rather than go for the contested shot in the slot.

When 1 or 2 guys do it, it's a confidence thing.  When they ALL do it, it's coaching. 

If it was coaching, this is a pet peeve of mine. You'll score more goals 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 than you will if you establish the zone and let everyone back 5 on 5. 

If you have a trailer to make it 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 by all means hold up, but that's rarely the case, so you end up getting low% 5 on 5 play instead of the chaos and playmaking you can get with smaller matchups.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If it was coaching, this is a pet peeve of mine. You'll score more goals 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 than you will if you establish the zone and let everyone back 5 on 5. 

If you have a trailer to make it 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 by all means hold up, but that's rarely the case, so you end up getting low% 5 on 5 play instead of the chaos and playmaking you can get with smaller matchups.

Preaching to the choir.

We were told heading into last season there would be an additional emphasis on D.  We were also told late in the season that the system being run was the same that was run the previous years under Granato.  

If you didn't change the base points of the system (positioning, coverage, when to make the decision to leave the zone, etc.) to improve the D, but you have an emphasis on better D; AND your F's noticably don't drive to the net but rather retain control of the puck; Occam's Razor says you've made a conscious decision to maintain puck control limiting transition back against your team.   Which while it will/ should make the D seem better as they don't get burned on odd-man rushes as often as in the past; it also will forego a lot of transition scoring for your own team.

• Like (+1) 2