119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the hiring of Ruff?

• Yes, its a good move
    • I'm ok with it, not super happy
    • Whatever
    • Not really but it could work I suppose
    • No, dumb move

You’re gonna need more choices:

How can you be happy, what’s this guy ever won? Classic Pegula move.

God I want this to succeed, but it just ain’t gonna.

I mean at least he’s got some experience…

This is the best coach this team ever had and he’s one of us: I *****in love it!

Who is this guy anyway? Seems a little old to be a hockey coach.

Love the hire.

A little less enthused overall today by the running narrative im seeing come to the forefront, about the length of contract meaning Adams gets a further 2 years to make the playoffs. I just feel so thoroughly in my bones that this should be a do or die year.

Finally it was “it’s about winning!”

“it’s about winning…but not QUITE yet” just doesn’t invoke the same confidence

Still love Ruff and the hire. My line still comes down to this season, though. I am going to try very hard to be a man of my word and stick to that line regardless of whether the team does.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Love the hire.

A little less enthused overall today by the running narrative im seeing come to the forefront, about the length of contract meaning Adams gets a further 2 years to make the playoffs. I just feel so thoroughly in my bones that this should be a do or die year.

Still love Ruff and the hire. My line still comes down to this season, though. I am going to try very hard to be a man of my word and stick to that line regardless of whether the team does.

he said he is a better coach now, which I hope is true. He sure seemed happy to have UPL. After Jersey's goalie situation, I bet he is happy 

• Like (+1) 1

Good. I like Lindy.

Hes a coach with a lot of experience, ties to Buffalo, he's had a good year coaching a team recently.  Fine.  In the end, he's not a bad coach, and that is all I care about. Ultimately, once we get a game or two into the season, I watch the team play not the coach behind the bench.  

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Love the hire.

I think reality might be closer to your original thought.

Coach contracts are typically one year longer than their leash because owners are typically OK with eating one year if they have to. It’s almost like the last year is at the owner’s option. The summer before the last year is often a time to talk extensions.

Most coaches get 3-year deals with the idea that they will get 2 years to prove themselves. Shorter contracts aren’t typically a consideration for coaches with Lindy’s resume.

To me it’s unusual and it does seem to indicate playoffs or bust.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think reality might be closer to your original thought.

Coach contracts are typically one year longer than their leash because owners are typically OK with eating one year if they have to. It’s almost like the last year is at the owner’s option. The summer before the last year is often a time to talk extensions.

Most coaches get 3-year deals with the idea that they will get 2 years to prove themselves. Shorter contracts aren’t typically a consideration for coaches with Lindy’s resume.

To me it’s unusual and it does seem to indicate playoffs or bust.

The devils are paying for the next two years unless he signed for a higher dollar amount. So it’s his way to bridge the leftover Granato contract and be cheap too

Taking his Sabres history out of the conversation, he's as good as any other established NHL coach - call him a retread if you want, but what the heck. It's fine. It's not a great team anyway, so why not give Lindy Ruff a shot? Would Peter Laviolette or John Tortorella really yield better odds of Stanley Cup glory? And if there is some rising young genius out there in the coaching world that they could have hired instead, I don't even know who that would be.

If the Sabres don't improve next year, it will be hard to blame Lindy. Let it ride, I say. 

• Vomit 1

I don't know what to make of it since it's clearly a PR move but Ruff is a top notch HC, he hasn't won the big 1 yet but I'd l;ove for him to get the Cup with this squad, man that would be like a fairytale ending for all involved. I truly think he can push this group into the playoffs but i really need to see the lineup before deciding, we can't go into this just rebuilding the 4th line, there needs to be serious changes imo. 

• Like (+1) 3

My initial reaction was "Not really but it could work I suppose" so I checked that box.  But I'm coming around to "I'm ok with it, not super happy" and hoping it becomes "Yes, its a good move" when the season starts.

I love Lindy and I love this decision, but I am anxious as well. Lindy is different, and that is what my hesitation is. Maybe it is his age, maybe it is his experience, I don't know, but I don't see this Lindy sending out Peters and gang and then going full metal jacket on Murray like in 2007. That is Lindy, so without that I don't know what we get for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Trey said:

I love Lindy and I love this decision, but I am anxious as well. Lindy is different, and that is what my hesitation is. Maybe it is his age, maybe it is his experience, I don't know, but I don't see this Lindy sending out Peters and gang and then going full metal jacket on Murray like in 2007. That is Lindy, so without that I don't know what we get for sure. 

He definitely came across as older, and soft spoken, but speaking as someone very close to his age, you mellow on the exterior because you come to realize the shows of emotion are kind of a waste of time and whatever fires you had inside are still there burning in full force. One may seem "different" but that doesn't mean they really are. Maybe a little wiser, but really the same. 

Now you personally can't do everything you could when you were younger, but you really do know how to get things done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2