Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think all of them were truly interviewed. They wanted Ruff and got Ruff. 

Yep. It was always going to be Ruff. And I’m fine with it.

If you decide this is the house you want to buy you don’t need to look at 30 more. Just put an offer in.

I didn’t see any of the other candidates as head and shoulders above Ruff. Berube and Gallant were the best alternatives and they each came with different warts as well.

Ruff could bring what they do but has the added Buffalo history aspect to the equation.

Pegula could be sold on him, Adams knows and can work with him and it gives some good PR to a fan base that is desperate for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think all of them were truly interviewed. They wanted Ruff and got Ruff. 

Interviewed, as in, in-person meeting wearing a suit and all that?  Yeah, you're probably right.  Interviewed, as in gauged for interest and discussed what a given coach could bring to the team?  Yeah, probably a few, or if you believe Kevyn, at least ten.

Doesn't matter really; it is what it is.

No doubt Lindy was the guy when Adams announced DG’s release but as mentioned above I’d think there had been contact with others.  Always doubted you’d get another high profile guy who didn’t want some degree of roster control.  Lindy likely was more in lock step with KA. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Lindy likely was more in lock step with KA. 

I wouldn't say that.  Rather,  I'd say Kevyn is more likely to act on Lindy's recommendations than those of another coach (i.e., I hope Lindy's driving the roster bus, not Kevyn).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Yep. It was always going to be Ruff. And I’m fine with it.

If you decide this is the house you want to buy you don’t need to look at 30 more. Just put an offer in.

I didn’t see any of the other candidates as head and shoulders above Ruff. Berube and Gallant were the best alternatives and they each came with different warts as well.

Ruff could bring what they do but has the added Buffalo history aspect to the equation.

Pegula could be sold on him, Adams knows and can work with him and it gives some good PR to a fan base that is desperate for it.

I'd bet that Ottawa is talking to one or both of them as well and they might be more inclined to go there with that team roster more closely aligned with their philosophies. Adams would also not want to get into a bidding war or get used in a negotiation. Sabres aren't exactly in a good position to come out a winner in those. 

47 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd bet that Ottawa is talking to one or both of them as well and they might be more inclined to go there with that team roster more closely aligned with their philosophies. Adams would also not want to get into a bidding war or get used in a negotiation. Sabres aren't exactly in a good position to come out a winner in those. 

Staios has different connections. Wouldn’t be surprised if it is the coach of the Marlies, Gruden.

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Called it. Again, I don't like being lied too.

He talked with double digits, truly interviewed 3/4

A good way to fight off a question regarding who he talked to as no one will pursue the read people until late in the offseason. 

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

He talked with double digits, truly interviewed 3/4

A good way to fight off a question regarding who he talked to as no one will pursue the read people until late in the offseason. 

He lied. Didn't need to. 

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Called it. Again, I don't like being lied too.

What was the lie?

Just now, LGR4GM said:

He lied. Didn't need to. 

Nah. He was puffing.

I think Adams is in way over his head and may actually be a dummy. But I don't object to him saying he spoke to "double digits" people about this job opening.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

What was the lie?

Nah. He was puffing.

I think Adams is in way over his head and may actually be a dummy. But I don't object to him saying he spoke to "double digits" people about this job opening.

You want me to say deliberately deceived his audience instead? Adams knowingly and purposely made it sound like he conducted a more extensive search than he clearly did. They wanted Ruff and they got Ruff. 

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Lindy:  your system is set before the start of training camp and doesn’t really change throughout season. It’s all about developing muscle memory from day 1. 

breath of fresh air Christ 

Lindy’s interview with Marty today came across better than the big presser.

• Like (+1) 6

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You want me to say deliberately deceived his audience instead? Adams knowingly and purposely made it sound like he conducted a more extensive search than he clearly did. They wanted Ruff and they got Ruff. 

From whats rumored he set up a speed dating interview process with 12 candidates. They started at 10am, just after brunch, ended at 10:10am. From what I hear, Lindy was the only one that used the tic tacs before sitting down, that sold Adams.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

What was the lie?

Nah. He was puffing.

I've been saying this for a while. The guy is gray matter challenged and is out of his depth.

I get where @LGR4GM is coming from. The Sabres have lost that "oh, shucks, they're good guys trying to do the right thing" charm long ago. They wrecked the team, at least they can start trying to earn back the goodwill of the fans by not BS'ing us and taking ownership of their decisions no matter how they think it looks.

Tired of Adams shallow approach to executive "leadership".

ufc 217 fake it until you make it GIF

Edited by ...
me type good
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't want you to say anything.

I want you to chill, Daddy.

Chill Relax GIF

Lol - I never miss a chance to deploy that meme. Anyway, to me, it's just not a big deal. He probably did speak to 10+ "people" about the job opening. One of them was probably his dog, Tinsel (she was a Christmas gift a few years ago). Idk. It's just puffery, like I said. Benign, at that. Adams will be gone soon enough.

6 minutes ago, ... said:

The Sabres have lost that "oh, shucks, they're good guys trying to do the right thing" charm long ago. They wrecked the team, at least they can start trying to earn back the goodwill of the fans by not BS'ing us and taking ownership of their decisions no matter how they think it looks.

Tired of Adams shallow approach to executive "leadership".

The "shallow approach" seems dead nuts. Like, he knows the buzz words, but, it's also like, don't dive in, baby.

I don't much care whether they're going to BS us a bit. Emphasis on a bit. That's par for the course. We're not really allowed under the tent to see how the sausage is getting made. (Sorry to mix metaphors.) I only care that the team notch ~95 points next season. That's all I care about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Sabres in existence for 53 years.  

Ruff has coached 15 of those years so far. I remember this board calling into question things like dump and chase and needing a change. 

He looked tired to me in the presser to coach another x number.  There was a question where he was asked how much longer he wants to coach and he sort of laughed it off.  I really want this to work but I don’t think it will.  Comparisons to 2006 seem a little stretched and just more nostalgia/talk of years gone by. Hope I’m wrong.  Lindy raising a cup for Buffalo would be awesome.

Edited by cgang
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Lindy:  your system is set before the start of training camp and doesn’t really change throughout season. It’s all about developing muscle memory from day 1. 

breath of fresh air Christ 

Absolutely, that roster competition last year in training camp was ridiculous. They should have known the roster going in to camp. So dumb.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Jesus. We'll make sure that GMKA and the entire organization runs everything through you in the future. You know, just to minimize your angst 😉 

Don't be so small. It isn't about me, just like the fan salute thing was bigger than that. I hope Ruff rights the ship 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1