Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

40 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Loving and Hating this on such severe and equivalent levels that I collapse in on myself like a dying star, destroying all life in the universe in the flap of a butterfly's wings. 

Poetic. Good to see you!

4 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

That's unexpected.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This isn't a hire for the hardcore fans like us. It's a hire for the next level on the pyramid of Buffalo hockey fans.

Not the guy I would have picked, but if I'm honest with myself his resume probably ticks a lot of boxes if his name wasn't Lindy Ruff and this wasn't the Buffalo Sabres.

I suspect he's going to flame out spectacularly.

But I'm going to go with the way @Thorny is reacting because if I squint really hard I can kinda see it, and giving the latest move a chance is just the way I roll.

Now where's my Scotch?

I’m not convinced there is a right hire for that group. 

• Agree 1

Just now, eman said:

I would love the assistant to be Jay McKee! He has done a wonderful job coaching the Hamilton (now Brantford Bulldogs) and all their young players. Loved how Jay played defense for the Sabres as well. This club could certainly use Jay as an assistant and get the D to take some bodies a dish out some hits. 

James Patrick is my first choice but McKee has done a good job in the OHL.

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They're absolutely no reason for Peca to leave the Rangers if he's under contract. None, let alone he couldn't. 

Can you find details of Peca's situation? I haven't found any details as to whether he has a contract. Has he been behind the bench at all?

6 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It’s going to be Jay McKee and you might as well just hop on the itoldyaso train now. This isn’t about hockey. 

Hopefully Lindy doesn't have a brain fart like Granato and make him the PP coach 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Can you find details of Peca's situation? I haven't found any details as to whether he has a contract. Has he been behind the bench at all?

He's an assistant coach, there's stories about it. He's a Rangers assistant coach

https://nypost.com/2023/10/25/sports/rangers-improving-on-faceoffs-thanks-to-assistant-michael-peca/

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I like Ruff. I just don't have blind faith he's the best option or that picking him without a search shows good processes which is a hallmark of the Pegula ownership. 

Seemed to work out pretty well for the Bills

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

cary elwes saw GIF

@Thorny sighting.

The resemblance is uncanny, I say.

I am not sure about this.  Ruff is a good coach, but this smacks of desperation.  I hope for the best, as always, but my fear is in 2 years both Lindy and KA will be out on their *****.  Leaving us in the lurch once again.  On the cusp of 20 years with no playoff.

Hey oh, @PASabreFan ..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Whether you’re elated or deflated about this hiring, I can’t wait to see how Lindy handles Skinner, and what Jeff Skinner shows up for the Sabres next year…

Hopefully he shows up to get any lingering mementos after he's bought out.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I like Ruff. I just don't have blind faith he's the best option or that picking him without a search shows good processes which is a hallmark of the Pegula ownership. 

Given the parameters Adams laid out and given the available coaches, how long do you think such a search would take...weeks? It's more likely Adams (Terry) had Lindy in mind since Lindy was let go by NJ. Still, all Adams had to do was make two or three calls that all went like "hey, XXXXX, I'm sure you heard the news. Interested? Yeah. No. Okay, thanks, see you around."

"Looks like Lindy is our guy, Terry."

That would take all of a morning before leaving for an early lunch.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The bar in Buffalo is so low its pathetic 

Gallant has been .600+ 4 times in his past 7 years as head coach, 7 straight playoff years.  

I just want to know that Adam’s reached out to him and a few others and had serious talks with them.  

I like Ruff, always have, I hope he gets us there again. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

What's yours?

Well my College Football team has best head coach in college football and won 2 of the last 3 national championships. So I'm going pretty good. 

Just now, ... said:

I'm sorry, where is the contract info? Is he behind the bench? My questions were specific.

What do you mean is he behind the bench? Yes, he's an assistant coach. 

Just now, Pimlach said:

Gallant has been .600+ 4 times in his past 7 years as head coach, 7 straight playoff years.  

I just want to know that Adam’s reached out to him and a few others and had serious talks with them.  

I like Ruff, always have, I hope he gets us there again. 

Seriously. This is all I need to know. If it happened and it didn’t work out then sure Lindy does just fine. I just don’t believe that happened. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

It's gonna be electric at the home opener next year!  

im geared up ! Go Sabres! 

I just informed my wife, the entire family is going, I'm making a banner, you all will be proud of. I promise you, they will show it on TV. I'm so excited.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? 

Dahlin, Power, Thompson, Benson, Cozens, Johnson, UPL… Couple Amerks earn a spot like Kuhlich, Rosen… Think Ruff will get better results from them than Granato did.

• Like (+1) 2