Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

8 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Why did Ellis survive the purge?

Because he's a part of the Pegula Family Syndicate.

Once you're family, there's no going back.

35 minutes ago, inkman said:

Why would they want him?

Because the Laffs love big contracts.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How could a source know this?

Adams hinted at it in his press conference. Basically said he had plans for the retained coaches. I'd guess Lance followed up with someone. 

18 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

And when they did halfway the won... tells you something about their arrogance and work ethic... 

It's why Benson stood out so much to us. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's something that reiterated a lot of what this board has said.

From the linked article,

All the Sabres did for the majority of the season was turn the puck over by dumping it into the offensive zone. They were unable to regain possession and were chasing the puck again.

That's something I mentioned a day or two ago.  When they *did* make a concerted effort to win the puck away from defenders in the Sabres offensive zone, they looked a lot better.  It just didn't happen enough.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

From the linked article,

That's something I mentioned a day or two ago.  When they *did* make a concerted effort to win the puck away from defenders in the Sabres offensive zone, they looked a lot better.  It just didn't happen enough.

Frustrating part was how many pointless dumps there were when last year we’d pass it back to the defense and retain possession during changes. 

The things Chad dinged Kevyn for this year have largely self-resolved:

• Connor Clifton improved (albeit still only a 3rd pairing guy, but with the rest of the D that's not much of a concern to me)
  • Erik Johnson is gone
  • UPL is the clear #1

There is still an open issue about who #2 will be.  Will Levi be ready, or does Kevyn need to bring in another NHL backup and let Levi work on his game in Rochester?

8 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Why did Ellis survive the purge?

Good question…

We can assume it’s not because of his performance coaching the PP all season…

He came to the Sabres in 2020 as Director of Player Development after his playing career ended, so he has worked closely with most of the kids on the roster.

Think the best answer is his relationships… with Pegula, Adams, the hockey staff, and the players and prospects.

Imagine he may be the eyes in the room for the owner to keep an eye on Adams… and the fraternal continuity Adams lost when he fired Granato.

Bearing in mind… All business is people business.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Frustrating part was how many pointless dumps there were when last year we’d pass it back to the defense and retain possession during changes. 

That was frustrating:  They'd "safely" pass it back to the D pair who would then proceed to cough it up when opponents forechecked them.  A lot of the time the Sabres D would have full control but would be too casual with the puck and eventually cough it up.  The most egregious in this regard to my eyes are the Golden Boys:  Power and Dahlin.  It's like they think they are so good (arrogance again?) that they can draw the forecheckers in and then pass at the last moment.  But the longer they wait, the more likely the forecheckers are to steal the puck away.  Dahlin's gaff in Game 82 directly led to a goal against when the thought he was so good, he could carry the puck through a double team right in front of his own net.

Dahlin *is* very good but he needs to be more conservative in his play deep in his own zone.  Don't cut it so close.  I know most here consider Bryson to be a scrub but late in the season one thing he did very well was quickly clear the zone and not mess around with the puck near his own net.  Not fancy, but effective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I am not surprised that Don Granato was fired. Buffalo Sabres fans saying I want this coach or that coach the coach has to want to come to the Buffalo Sabres. It takes two that is why the odds are it’s Lindy Ruff be glad he has merci on the Buffalo Sabres and wants to come back here. The bottom line this Sabres fan would hold a parade if the Buffalo Sabres actually made the playoffs again. Be glad Lindy Ruff wants to comeback the Sabres should have hired him back instead of Ralph Krueger. Enough the Buffalo Sabres fans fantasies this isn’t the Buffalo Bills job with Josh Allen or even the Buffalo Bandits coaching job. The Buffalo Sabres aren’t a must coach team wake up some Sabres fans think NHL coaches are excited about the Buffalo Sabre job there not that is what happens tanking and sucking for 13 straight years.

If the Buffalo Sabres hire Lindy Ruff as head coach we should celebrate because I know he can get Buffalo Sabres to the playoffs. I don’t care he never won a Stanley Cup there is a first time for everything. Plus I can sleep at night knowing Lindy Ruff is going to get these lazy players skating and not like they are on a cruise. The Buffalo Sabres presently are by far one of the laziest Buffalo sports teams in my 50 years of being a fan Lindy Ruff put an end of that crap that I am certain about. If Lindy Ruff can’t fix the Sabres than the Sabres franchise needs to be contracted and starting with a new Buffalo NHL expansion team because I have zero tolerance of youth excuses and lazy entitled Sabres hockey players on this team while every other NHL team puts out. The Sabres started out rebuild before the Detroit Wings that is embarrassing in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Is this Marty Biron?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MattPie said:

If you're asking yourself, "Should I stay or should I go?", I say you should stay.

Darling, you got to let me know.  Should I stay or should I go?

It's always tease, tease tease.  You're happy when I'm on my knees.  One day it's fine, the next is black ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

It's always a sad day when anyone loses their job.

Granato was hired to get the kids to a certain point.  That is what he does and he did it well here in very short order.

I really thought Granato would have one more season and then the Sabres would bring in the guy to get them to and then win in the playoff.

Who is out there with a playoff winning record?

Back in the day the Sabres brought in Bowman.  It almost worked, but he wanted to be GM too.  Turns out Scotty was a great coach, but not so great GM.

If it were me I would hire Gallant.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Is this Marty Biron?  

If you’re asking is the poster Biron, the answer is can’t be. Biron is 46. Poster says he’s been a fan 50 years.

I would hire Biron as an Assistant Coach in a skinny minute. Smart, huge hockey IQ, great analytical and communication skills, and enthusiasm for the Sabres and Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Believer said:

If you’re asking is the poster Biron, the answer is can’t be. Biron is 46. Poster says he’s been a fan 50 years.

I would hire Biron as an Assistant Coach in a skinny minute. Smart, huge hockey IQ, great analytical and communication skills, and enthusiasm for the Sabres and Buffalo.

You know, that's not a terrible idea on the surface. I'm not sure he has the chops to be a skater coach, but Marty is awesome.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

How could a source know this?

Adams addressed this twice and seemed to be saying he knows what he wants to do with all 3 but that the new coach will be a factor in the final decision.

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was going to react with a "lol" ... but, reading it again, I think you might be right.

It's a Franco-Russian bot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams addressed this twice and seemed to be saying he knows what he wants to do with all 3 but that the new coach will be a factor in the final decision.

Seems weird.   Christie is tied to Granato, so good bye to him.  Smith, who knows. 

Bales is kind of unique working with goalies.

But keeping Ellis and Wilford?  Is that in case the new coach wants to talk to them about a position?  Are you suggesting there is more to it?  

The comments I am reading about Ellis being "eyes and ears" for the FO and the Owner is just bad business.  I sure hope he is not that guy.  

Ellis hanging around is another indicator that the new HC could be Lindy.