GDT - Sabres @ Lightning - Monday, April 15, 2024 - 7:00 PM (EDT)

Some quick thoughts on this game. Not much of a takeaway can be deduced from this game that meant little to Tampa. To the Sabres credit they played this meaningless game with pride. 

Comrie played really well. Easily earned the first star. He kept the Sabres in the game early on when Tampa was dominating. 

This might have been Cozens best game of the season. 

I can foresee the possibility of a Benson/Cozens/Quinn the second line. Benson is becoming one of my favorite players. Great hockey intelligence and a gritty player. Quinn is also a very smart player. 

The play of the game was Greenway pushing the puck ahead on the PK and then getting it to Cozens for a shorthanded score.

This is a big offseason. A few good moves by the front office could be the difference of getting over the hump. On the other hand, if the front office becomes too timid and takes a status quo approach, then the owner deserves an empty building in their home games. 

At the minimum, this team easily should have had another 8-10 pts in their point column. That's what has been so frustrating about this season. The "what ifs" are gut wrenching!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That’s a wrap on another successfully completed Sabres season. Was a pleasure sharing GDTs with you folks

i don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

And that’s only the half of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Well, when a loss will actually benefit the team and elevate them 3 spots into the top ten of the draft, they can’t even do that right! 

Granato has to go.

They also need a veteran and they need a revamped player development section. The whole front office is too slim in that regard. 

Likely would have stayed 22 anyways no? 

• Agree 1

How about that Comrie, what a great signing. Now they have to re-sign him for sure. 

Typical Sabres. Late season finish and it'll give some people here just enough for them to preach everything's fine, stick with the plan, we are so close, etc. 

The reality is they are basically the same as last year and out of the playoffs. They made no progress at all. 

Bright spot of the season was Benson. I'd be fine to trade everybody else and build a new team around him. Only guy on the team that plays the right way every single night. 

Biggest disappointments were Cozens and I'd say Levi after the hype. I wasn't shocked by it, and he has much future possibility but a lot of people had anointed him as this year's savior so you have to say it's a disappointment. Everything and everybody else was about as expected. 

So I saw every game this year. I think that's more a sickness than an accomplishment. 

Now for real hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That’s a wrap on another successfully completed Sabres season. Was a pleasure sharing GDTs with you folks

i don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

So you're saying there's a chance you know you like me?

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

How about that Comrie, what a great signing. Now they have to re-sign him for sure. 

Typical Sabres. Late season finish and it'll give some people here just enough for them to preach everything's fine, stick with the plan, we are so close, etc. 

The reality is they are basically the same as last year and out of the playoffs. They made no progress at all. 

Bright spot of the season was Benson. I'd be fine to trade everybody else and build a new team around him. Only guy on the team that plays the right way every single night. 

Biggest disappointments were Cozens and I'd say Levi after the hype. I wasn't shocked by it, and he has much future possibility but a lot of people had anointed him as this year's savior so you have to say it's a disappointment. Everything and everybody else was about as expected. 

So I saw every game this year. I think that's more a sickness than an accomplishment. 

Now for real hockey.

Sorry they won and played well.

I hope everyone will take an interest in the Amerks playoff run. They are playing their best hockey now. I will start Amerk game threads the rest of the way. Consider getting AHL TV for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope everyone will take an interest in the Amerks playoff run. They are playing their best hockey now. I will start Amerk game threads the rest of the way. Consider getting AHL TV for the playoffs.

I'll be watching and cheering them on 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I'll be watching and cheering them on 

I’ll be at every home Game and road games when I can.  SabreSpace meet up??

• Like (+1) 1

Last post of the game day season....

there are some positives that happened this season 

1) UPL was tremendous and we have to feel good with the tandem of Levi and UPL for the next while (though it's not 100% Levi will be the back up next year).

2) the emergence of JJP as a top line winger 

3) Benson has been a delight to watch.   I see a big increase in his point production next year 

4) the play of Tage and Tuch over the last couple of months   I had feared  they were both broken earlier this year 

5) everyone is gonna be a year older 

6) Greenway was good   I think a lot of us thought he was gonna be trash after last season

7) Jack Quinn looks to be a legit 25 goal player, who is intelligent, skilled and plays with intensity 

8 - Dahlin may have slipped a little from last year but still scored 20 and is a solid top 10 Dman in this league and still has the potential to the best as he just turned 24 

9) a lot of people complain about Power cause he isn't physical but some of the analytics community think he was their best dman this year 

10) the largest silver lining of missing the playoffs is that there is gonna be big changes to the coaching staff.  IMO,  if they snuck into the playoffs and got swept in 4 - They would have brought everyone back   So that's a positive for next season maybe?

hope everyone stays safe and healthy this off-season.  I'll spend some time on the draft thread, otherwise I'll be back in September.  Next year is our year ! Go Sabres ! 

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dahlin and Tuch finish tied for the team lead in points at 59 apiece

Dahlin lead in assists with 39

Thompson lead in goals with 29

Some poetry in those numbers about this team, isn’t there?

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Some poetry in those numbers about this team, isn’t there?

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I enjoyed typing it 

As leaders on a team though, those numbers are quite awful.

Good god, our team sucks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

As leaders on a team though, those numbers are quite awful.

Good god, our team sucks.

It does. Terribly so.

Which, now that we’ve gotten through the season without collapse, proves the board correspondingly great 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Now for real hockey.

The people on here isn’t who you need to worry feeling that everything is ok. I could see the Sabres sitting on their hands again this season  

they finished just above.500 with things “clicking” at the end of the season again. I can see DG and KA thinking that they just need to wait or bring up another young player or two. They really love trust youngest team label

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1