Breaking: Hoppe says to expect firings, trades

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

See, I saw the Mitts trade as exactly this.

Do you disagree, or think it wasn’t enough?

Maybe but Mitts was having his best season.  Kevyn picked the wrong guy (I know RFA pending contract, yada yada). Trade someone that isn’t so convenient to trade.  I still think having 25,26,& 4 all on the left side is a surplus they should take advantage of. Move one.  I know who I would pick.  

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He didn't stay long. I don't think he felt he was afforded the appropriate level of respect.

Yeah. That generally ends up being the story whenever a sports writer or ostensible member of the "media" frequents this place. In addition to Hoppe, there's Wawrow and some other guy (Dylan something?) whose screen name is eluding me (he wasn't a writer, per se, but I think he was working in (or wanting to work in) sports media.)

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think Kevyn picked the wrong center to jettison.  Unfortunately he apparently decided when he signed Cozens that he was going to keep only two of the stud centers, and Casey, for whatever reason, was the odd man out.  I don't understand the reasoning behind it other than Tage and Cozens were already locked up but Casey was on an expiring bridge contract.

I've felt for at least the last season or so that you need a player like Mitts on the team- can play virtually anywhere in the Top 9 with very little drop off.  When Tage got hurt late last season he took over the top line and they didn't miss a beat and even allowed Donny the luxury of bringing Tage back as a second line winger so he didn't have to step right back in at the top spot.

I hope that, as some people have said, this trade wasn't in a vacuum and that Kevyn has a plan to replace Casey.  But I'm not sure the team will be better off with Byram + Replacement Center than they would have been with Casey + the Dmen they had.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah. That generally ends up being the story whenever a sports writer or ostensible member of the "media" frequents this place. In addition to Hoppe, there's Wawrow and some other guy (Dylan something?) whose screen name is eluding me (he wasn't a writer, per se, but I think he was working in (or wanting to work in) sports media.)

Stebbins. I also can't remember the screen name. He's been gone for awhile. Active on Twitter.

Posted this beauty... @Sabres Fan in NS

image.thumb.png.9929063cb134dbc28f248a30a10409c7.png

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 yrs old, still a smoker (i know, no more excuses. As i sit here typing this smoking a cig), I currently weigh 233lbs, I was down to 226lbs in early Jan. (FU La Nova, you tried to take me out), it's all waste and tits as my toothpick legs literally are screaming at me to stop adding size to the roster.

I weighed 196lbs in 2011, No playoff weight loss in 13 weight loss seasons. My spare tire looks like I'm a 30 pack of heavy lager a weekend, yet I i may have a beet or bourbon once every 2 months. This is it, I'm committing to long term change. So the Sabres better get their ***** together or I'll be kicking their *****, in 2 to 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

53 yrs old, still a smoker (i know, no more excuses. As i sit here typing this smoking a cig), I currently weigh 233lbs, I was down to 226lbs in early Jan. (FU La Nova, you tried to take me out), it's all waste and tits as my toothpick legs literally are screaming at me to stop adding size to the roster.

I weighed 196lbs in 2011, No playoff weight loss in 13 weight loss seasons. My spare tire looks like I'm a 30 pack of heavy lager a weekend, yet I i may have a beet or bourbon once every 2 months. This is it, I'm committing to long term change. So the Sabres better get their ***** together or I'll be kicking their *****, in 2 to 3 years.

Not sure you are in the right thread here.  

But good luck on committing to better fitness, and get rid of the cigs.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, inkman said:

It shouldn’t just be Krebs and Joki for draft picks either.  One of the core needs to go.  Put this team on notice. You guys don’t perform, see ya.  (I realize that could incentivize sand bagging) One of Tage, Power, Cozens or Dahlin needs to be shown the door.  The return should be substantial.  A top end of the roster player.  A good ol fashion hockey trade.  

I'd be fine with this. The type of player that comes back would be key to it though. 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

We already talked about that elswhere but for the sake of @inkman's argument I'm not sure it qualifies because of Mitt's upcoming contract. Trading away a guy you don't have to trade would be a bigger statement. 

Also, as we discussed before, I don't want to just rearrange pieces, I'd want guys with skill sets we don't already have. Byram didn't do that imo. 

Trading Dahlin would be a massive move and I think it's pretty unlikely but for me it would have to be for roster players and not picks and prospects like Eichel. Any move they make for me has to be to win now. Only way I'm happy with picks/prospects coming in is if they end up with a surplus body they need to ditch after making a deal for multiple new players (like eg. trading Dahlin for 3-4 roster players). 

Overall, I just want competitive hard nosed guys brought in. Pros and leaders who want to win every night. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Is a cig all you got working at the moment?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Is a cig all you got working at the moment?

Ya, outside of my 2mg a day of my blood pressure meds (I'm anti-pharma to a point, but also realize my weight put me on these), I don't dabble. A beer or bourbon every great once in awhile. Truth be told Aud, I keep myself busy. Hell, I'm still climbing machinery at work with fairly nimble agility still. But the weight, food is 1 of my 2 weak spots, love me some good, rich food.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, inkman said:

It shouldn’t just be Krebs and Joki for draft picks either.  One of the core needs to go.  Put this team on notice. You guys don’t perform, see ya.  (I realize that could incentivize sand bagging) One of Tage, Power, Cozens or Dahlin needs to be shown the door.  The return should be substantial.  A top end of the roster player.  A good ol fashion hockey trade.  

I see literally zero reason to trade any of those 4 guys. A new coach with structure and discipline will be enough of a catalyst; we don’t need to start picking apart the core. 

Tage is a 1C when healthy, Dahlin is a 1D and Power has the potential to be another 1D regardless if you like their approach or not they are all extremely talented. Cozens is the only member that’s more of a wildcard. He could be a 2C or top line winger and when he plays how he should; he’s a force to be reckoned with.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I see literally zero reason to trade any of those 4 guys. A new coach with structure and discipline will be enough of a catalyst; we don’t need to start picking apart the core. 

Tage is a 1C when healthy, Dahlin is a 1D and Power has the potential to be another 1D regardless if you like their approach or not they are all extremely talented. Cozens is the only member that’s more of a wildcard. He could be a 2C or top line winger and when he plays how he should; he’s a force to be reckoned with.

Cozens is the one I have the least questions about 😀