GDT - Flyers @ Sabres - Friday, April 5, 2024 - 7:00 PM (EDT)

should be interesting...Flyers looked awful lately and maybe Torts has lost the room already??? We know it is just a matter of time as Randy Travis once said til he loses that team just as every team before that he has coached. If he has indeed lost the room then they should be easy pickins. Otherwise, they will be hell-bent to win at any cost.

54 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Win or lose, does not matter. I would like to hear they played a super physical game and dropped the gloves a couple times.

Sure.  Cozens can get his head broke again.

They aren’t making the playoffs. I know that. Still, last night I habitually went through the remaining schedule of all the potential WC2 teams. I actually think there is a plausible scenario where 88 or even 87 points gets you in. It makes me a little sad and frustrated that Adams did nothing to enhance the line-up at the deadline. The Mitts/Byram deal was a wash in the moment (strengthening one area while weakening another). 2-3 additional points since the deadline and we are right there.

All that said, I suspect Tortorella’s rants in the past few days will have the desired impact on the Flyers. I think the Flyers come out tonight and make clear they are actually in the race and we will not be up to the physicality that they will display. 

Edited by Archie Lee

I mean... All props to Thorny. I used some of the good will capital between us to rake him over the coals for offering playoff hope a while back.

And the Sabres are STILL not out of it. Thornstradamus was spot on about the teams ahead of us.

All that was missing was the Sabres getting hot. Actually in retrospect they didn't even have to get hot, just a touch feverish.

Three more wins and they'd really be in this thing.

Thorny help me out. What record did you think the Sabres would need and what has their actual record been?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ok, last time they played was back in November, these are different teams now.

Back then, Sabres lost 5-1. Eric Johnson had 17 minutes of ice time.  Samuelsson played but got hurt during the game. Rousek, Biro, Okposo, and Mitts played (all of them had 14 minutes or more of ice time), and Quinn did not play.  UPL started, allowed 5 goals on just 17 shots, a 0.737 save percentage for the game.

Of course, the Sabres did beat the Flyers just a few days before that game 5-2, a game UPL stopped 30 of 32 shots and Brandon Biro had 2 goals.

It seems to me this is the type of team the Sabres don't match up well against (not as talented, but harder working).   I feel pretty good about this one tonight though, I think this is another win for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean... All props to Thorny. I used some of the good will capital between us to rake him over the coals for offering playoff hope a while back.

And the Sabres are STILL not out of it. Thornstradamus was spot on about the teams ahead of us.

All that was missing was the Sabres getting hot. Actually in retrospect they didn't even have to get hot, just a touch feverish.

Three more wins and they'd really be in this thing.

Thorny help me out. What record did you think the Sabres would need and what has their actual record been?

Did someone steal PA's account login?  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Just win and keep the dream alive!

Umm, there's a dream? 

Just from a hockey viewpoint this is a fascinating game of contrasts to me. Completely different rebuild strategies going head to head. 

They should not be where they are. They have overachieved by far. The Carter Hart thing alone should have sunk them but it didn't. We have far more talent than them. A LOT more. They went with a veteran mix and a veteran hard ass coach who punishes them when they play bad rather than stroking their fragile egos. You can go on and on but it's a total contrast top to bottom. Personally I find them fascinating and have watched more Flyers games this year than any other year for that reason. I'm interested to see if Torts gets them to bounce back or if they've finally quit on him. It too is hard to say.

Biggest question of the night, will Hathaway taunt Cozens all night long or was it a far less significant moment to him than it was to Cozens?

PP better be careful, Flyers attack the points hard in their PK and get a lot of shorties.

40 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Did someone steal PA's account login?  

You are the most wonderful and insightful poster. One day I want to be as sharp a hockey commentator as Pimlach. No one rocks a SabreSpace post or a beaver hat as hard as Pimlach.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:50 PM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Game on !!

MUST WIN !!

GO SABRES !!

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Not sure about the TV situation.  Not sure if that matters.

JUST BEAT THESE GUYS ANY WAY YOU CAN !!

MUST WIN !!

GO SABRES !!

SWORDS !!

Maybe the most consistent poster on the board. Game 1 vs NYR all the way to game 77 vs the Flyers. 

Must win, baby!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

You are the most wonderful and insightful poster. One day I want to be as sharp a hockey commentator as Pimlach. No one rocks a SabreSpace post or a beaver hat as hard as Pimlach.

Never will I wear a beaver hat, but thanks anyway. 

Seriously, your new found positively is nice.  Not as fun, but nice.    

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Never will I wear a beaver hat, but thanks anyway. 

Seriously, your new found positively is nice.  Not as fun, but nice.    

I see what happened. I meant three more wins before today, after the Sabres started their playoff push. I don't think even six more wins to end the season does the trick.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Win or lose, does not matter. I would like to hear they played a super physical game and dropped the gloves a couple times.

You've gotta watch Amerks games if you wanna see something somewhat close to that. I was at the game Wed night, and after a dirty hit by Cleveland, Cecconi answered the bell immediately without hesitation. A few minutes later Zach Metsa got lit up with his head down, but Murray still dropped the gloves and was there for his teammate. Something the Sabres are not willing to do. It's quite sad honestly. 

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 1