Peterka contact : Long-term or Bridge

Buffalonill

Contract   

49 members have voted

1. 1. Contract

• Long-term
    • short-term

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You can argue the details but there has been a drop off and sometimes dramatic (Skinner). The point for me really is if we keep rewarding big seasons for individuals on a loser team we will be stuck with a loser team. The make up of this team needs to change and not every goal scorer can have a place in it. 

If Peterka is your guy and you want to roll the dice on him as a top liner winger you can do that, but you better be sure he is the guy who can deliver the goods consistently. So really, to me, it depends on his ask. If he wants 20 goal scorer money great, if he wants top line money, that's another story and then I'm not so sure so imo better to place safe and bridge. 

The bolded is a far more salient point.

The flip side of “lock ‘em up while you can still afford them”.

Pretty hard to judge Adams 1 year into a half-dozen long-term deals.

But each one he adds makes the next one harder to accommodate and he has to get most of them right.

• Like (+1) 1

Imagine if a team had the balls to sign only one year deals. Everyone would be performance paid, all of the time. You could have a team of 95% effort in an 80% league. You would have to be a winning team in order for people to want to sign there.

Back to reality.

I think I am in the bridge camp. KA is near the max for long term deals. I like Mule but I think he jumped the gun on that one. Maybe he locks up 15 guys for 7 years so they are together forever.

I like Quinn more but I would be leary to offer him a long term deal this early.

What do I know, maybe locking them all up long term in today’s dollars with a rising cap is a great strategy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Imagine if a team had the balls to sign only one year deals. Everyone would be performance paid, all of the time. You could have a team of 95% effort in an 80% league. You would have to be a winning team in order for people to want to sign there.

Back to reality.

I think I am in the bridge camp. KA is near the max for long term deals. I like Mule but I think he jumped the gun on that one. Maybe he locks up 15 guys for 7 years so they are together forever.

I like Quinn more but I would be leary to offer him a long term deal this early.

What do I know, maybe locking them all up long term in today’s dollars with a rising cap is a great strategy.

I might be the only one but I trust Quinn more this would be like the Kotalik vs JP Dumont scenario

But I feel Quinn will be more successful 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

The bolded is a far more salient point.

The flip side of “lock ‘em up while you can still afford them”.

Pretty hard to judge Adams 1 year into a half-dozen long-term deals.

But each one he adds makes the next one harder to accommodate and he has to get most of them right.

True, if I look at them so far:

-Tage.  Think it should still be a good deal.  I do think he is still playing hurt, even with that he is likely to score 30.  Over the last 3 years, including this 'bad' year, he has 112 goals in 221 games (almost a 42 goal per 82 rate)  What is the 'market rate' for a guy who has the potential to get 50, his bad year is about 30, has a 3 year average of close to 40...and is 26 years old?  I think this is a really good extension.

-Cozens. Well, he only has 1 really good year.  Hes likely to be in the high teens this year in goals, and he has improved to me in his own end and has not become a pretty decent (not GOOD but decent) 2-way forward.  If he gives you 15-20 goals per year, not an awful deal but probably not a good one. He gives you 30 or more like he did last year and its a good deal. Someplace in between (low to mid 20's) and its probably a wash between a good or bad deal.

-Dahlin. He's the best player on the team. I think he is under-rated by many posters on this board. He is a top 10 Dman in the league right now, and has potential to be a Norris trophy winner. Your paying a lot, but you locked up a 23 year old elite level D-man long term.  I think its a good deal.

-Samuelsson.  Probably not a good deal.  Just simply becuase he is not durable. One injury is nothing, a couple still may not be a trend, but with how many times he has gotten hurt it is a trend.  You aren't paying him a ton so its probaly a bad deal (at this piont) but its not sinking the franchise.

-Power.  This is really a toss up. At the moment he is not worth next years salary, probably won't be worth it next year, but at any time he is capable of become a very good-to-great D-man and being worth it. Its just going to take a while. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

True, if I look at them so far:

-Tage.  Think it should still be a good deal.  I do think he is still playing hurt, even with that he is likely to score 30.  Over the last 3 years, including this 'bad' year, he has 112 goals in 221 games (almost a 42 goal per 82 rate)  What is the 'market rate' for a guy who has the potential to get 50, his bad year is about 30, has a 3 year average of close to 40...and is 26 years old?  I think this is a really good extension.

-Cozens. Well, he only has 1 really good year.  Hes likely to be in the high teens this year in goals, and he has improved to me in his own end and has not become a pretty decent (not GOOD but decent) 2-way forward.  If he gives you 15-20 goals per year, not an awful deal but probably not a good one. He gives you 30 or more like he did last year and its a good deal. Someplace in between (low to mid 20's) and its probably a wash between a good or bad deal.

-Dahlin. He's the best player on the team. I think he is under-rated by many posters on this board. He is a top 10 Dman in the league right now, and has potential to be a Norris trophy winner. Your paying a lot, but you locked up a 23 year old elite level D-man long term.  I think its a good deal.

-Samuelsson.  Probably not a good deal.  Just simply becuase he is not durable. One injury is nothing, a couple still may not be a trend, but with how many times he has gotten hurt it is a trend.  You aren't paying him a ton so its probaly a bad deal (at this piont) but its not sinking the franchise.

-Power.  This is really a toss up. At the moment he is not worth next years salary, probably won't be worth it next year, but at any time he is capable of become a very good-to-great D-man and being worth it. Its just going to take a while. 

Yes, spot on.  Power, then Cozens, could both up end being premature evaluations by Adams that were wrong. But they could work out too.  It will be interesting to see who else gets paid.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, spot on.  Power, then Cozens, could both up end being premature evaluations by Adams that were wrong. But they could work out too.  It will be interesting to see who else gets paid.  

agreed...and we all know that premature anything can never turn out good...

I voted bridge not because the potential isn't there but because he has already given out several high dollar long-term contracts. The cap isn't raising that fast for hockey and they will have some other players they will also need to be making these decisions on the next few years.

Also noted is the stated need for some veteran help in the forward ranks and and/or a veteran goalie letting Levi mature in AHL. Buffalo seems to pay a premium for that kind of help because it's not the hockey heaven we were promised. 

I don't know what the answer is but he is my favorite player to watch on the Sabres. On his best nights he is everywhere. He plays such a fast game and when he gets back to the bench he does not seem to be winded most of the time. Then he drinks from his juice box. He may not have a natural scoring touch but he makes up for it by getting in good positions and letting the puck fly without hesitation. 

So now that we have Thompson 7.1M, Dylan Cozens 7.1M, Owen Power 8.35M, Mattias Samuelsson 4.35M, Jeff Skinner 9M, Alex Tuch 4.75M, Rasmus Dahlin 11M all on long term deals then where is there going to be enough room for all of UPL, Quinn, Peterka, Byram? Will there be an odd man out? Which 1 is it? Something has to give right? Do we buyout Skinners contract next season or the year after to make room? 

Edited by GoPuckYourself

21 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

So now that we have Thompson 7.1M, Dylan Cozens 7.1M, Owen Power 8.35M, Mattias Samuelsson 4.35M, Jeff Skinner 9M, Alex Tuch 4.75M, Rasmus Dahlin 11M all on long term deals then where is there going to be enough room for all of UPL, Quinn, Peterka, Byram? Will there be an odd man out? Which 1 is it? Something has to give right? Do we buyout Skinners contract next season or the year after to make room? 

Skinner , Samuelsson, will be gone imo 

5 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

This isn't accurate. Skinner has 3 years left and Tuch I think only 2.

My 2 cents:

- I would give JJP a LT deal, assuming DG and KA like his attitude/work ethic/etc.  Based on his overall 2nd-year production, career trajectory and the way Mike Peca raved about him in Rochester, I think he'll be a very good, forceful, fast, productive wing for a long time and will continue to improve for a while.

- I don't think the decision should be influenced by the number of existing LT deals.  You can't let good players get away because you made a mistake previously. 

- For that matter, the only bad contract is Skinner's, and even he contributes a decent amount of goals and agitation every year.  Samuelsson's deal doesn't look great, but it doesn't really affect anything because the dollars aren't high and when he plays he contributes pretty close to his contract value.

- I'd guess it will cost at least $6.5MM per year to get him to sign a 7- or 8-year deal.

- If they sign him to a LT deal, it makes it a bit easier to trade a top prospect like Savoie or Kulich for a good vet.

• Like (+1) 1