How Good Do You Think Zac Benson Will Be?

bob_sauve28

In a bad season like this at least there is a few bright spots. Zac Benson is definitely one. 9 goals and 14 assists for an eighteen year old kid. He plays with grit, determination, vison and  finesse. Just wondering what everyone things this kids upside will be. 

When looking back ten years from now, will he be one of the best players in the league, a very solid player or just someone who gets by? 

Just guess work here, no need to preface remarks with, "Obviously this is just a guess..." No kidding. 😘

I think he's going to be super good! Top ten in scoring, all star and Sabre playoff hero 

32 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

brayden point?

A few outliers. Sure, he can maybe make it. I do like his game a lot; and he is 18. 

He's getting rag dolled a lot. Again he's got time to bulk up. 

Wish the rest of the team played like him. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

His hockey IQ is off the charts.  He doesn't seem to have an elite shot, though, or elite speed.  Not sure about his puck possession skills because he does tend to get knocked off the puck a lot.

One criticism is that he doesn't always move his feet while backchecking, which causes him to reach, which results in penalties.  You would think that Granato and staff would have addressed this during the season.

Right now he is often outmatched physically, but his skills should continue to emerge as he gets stronger. 

At this point he seems like a puck mover/playmaker.  He'll score by being in the right place at the right time.  He also seems to have leadership ability.  Hopefully he doesn't have that beaten out of him by the team's overall lack of success.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

His upside is a point a game player. Good to have.

His size makes the odds of it happening less favorable.

Not impossible...and worst case, a top 9 forward....but he will have a tough battle towards 75-85 points a year.

Fwiw....I like the kid quite a bit...just not a building block you build your franchise around. 

10 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

His confidence and attitude will be completely derailed by this team at this same time next year.

Oh come on, that’s ridiculous.

It’ll take 2 years.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On the right team he becomes a point per game annoying gnat of a player who everyone hates except that team’s fans who love him.

On the Sabres, he’ll be struggling, disgruntled 45 point guy.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Benson is a very good player.   He will get bigger and stronger.  He is going to be a pain to play against - high hockey IQ, hard worker, fearless and determined.  

Get stronger and work on that shot in the off season.   That should be his priority working with the development staff.  

He won't be any good. I see some odd bias for this guy and I think its because the Sabres are historically bad and some fans will look for a silver lining in anything Sabres related.

If he's so good now, trade him. Why do the Sabres need another 5'9 guy who is "skilled"? I think we have too many of "those" guys. He fits the track record of guys the Sabres ALWAYS pick. Pass 

I dont see him being anymore than a 20 goal 40 point kinda guy. He doesn't hit or fight or bring anything else but some so called hockey "IQ". Kinda amazed to see people jump on his bandwagon THAT fast, honestly. To each their own. 

To add, he definitely won't get any better if Granato remains coach, what a joke that guy is. 

Anyway, just my opinion. I dont dislike him as a player, I just don't see him the way others do. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • dislike 1

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

His hockey IQ is off the charts.  He doesn't seem to have an elite shot, though, or elite speed.  Not sure about his puck possession skills because he does tend to get knocked off the puck a lot.

One criticism is that he doesn't always move his feet while backchecking, which causes him to reach, which results in penalties.  You would think that Granato and staff would have addressed this during the season.

Right now he is often outmatched physically, but his skills should continue to emerge as he gets stronger

At this point he seems like a puck mover/playmaker.  He'll score by being in the right place at the right time.  He also seems to have leadership ability.  Hopefully he doesn't have that beaten out of him by the team's overall lack of success.

See I dont understand this post. The first sentence makes sense in supporting Benson as a soon to be "good" player. The rest of the post, however, says the exact opposite. I honed in on the bold to support what I just said

2 minutes ago, skaught said:

He'll be the next Zemgus Girgensons

This is far more likely 

22 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

He won't be any good. I see some odd bias for this guy and I think its because the Sabres are historically bad and some fans will look for a silver lining in anything Sabres related.

If he's so good now, trade him. Why do the Sabres need another 5'9 guy who is "skilled"? I think we have too many of "those" guys. He fits the track record of guys the Sabres ALWAYS pick. Pass 

I dont see him being anymore than a 20 goal 40 point kinda guy. He doesn't hit or fight or bring anything else but some so called hockey "IQ". Kinda amazed to see people jump on his bandwagon THAT fast, honestly. To each their own. 

To add, he definitely won't get any better if Granato remains coach, what a joke that guy is. 

Anyway, just my opinion. I dont dislike him as a player, I just don't see him the way others do. 

7dfa68a55b16f3c31fcc82dbc4b26b70.gif

• Thanks (+1) 1

Based on how his personality has been seen during games and his personal desire to play 200ft from the get-go; I’d guess he becomes far stronger physically over the next couple years and becomes a poor man’s Brayden Point or slightly slower less dirty version of Marchand.

The Juniors rule screwed him a bit but he held his own as an NHLer at 18 while being both undersized and a less physically mature forward. If development was the most important factor he would have been in Rochester but we didn’t have that choice. IMHO he had nothing to gain from Juniors since he already plays a 200ft game which is rare among his peers. Plus Juniors doesn’t tend to help much with bulking up due to the schedule. He needed to play with Pros and likely would of put up 50 pts in Rochester had he been there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

See I dont understand this post. The first sentence makes sense in supporting Benson as a soon to be "good" player. The rest of the post, however, says the exact opposite. I honed in on the bold to support what I just said

This is far more likely 

So you don't think there are players in the NHL who have high hockey IQ, but not elite skills?

He's 18.  Nobody can say how good this guy will be, but I think he's shown enough to not be considered a bust.

He's probably closer to Derek Roy than Girgensons. He's not going to be as physical as Girgensons, and won't be a 4th liner. At the same time, he's probably smarter than Roy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

So you don't think there are players in the NHL who have high hockey IQ, but not elite skills?

He's 18.  Nobody can say how good this guy will be, but I think he's shown enough to not be considered a bust.

He's probably closer to Derek Roy than Girgensons. He's not going to be as physical as Girgensons, and won't be a 4th liner. At the same time, he's probably smarter than Roy.

How can this be quantified, already?