How Good Do You Think Zac Benson Will Be?

bob_sauve28

27 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Make Benson Captain. 

Send a message to the roster heavily weighted with talented loafers who detest a physical game.

An 18 year old short guy who should have been in Juniors has the most guts. Sad. Nice roster makeup. 

That would be a great way to ruin a good young player.   

I am amazed by how he held up all season   The goal he got was pure tenacity   

Benson even grew his playoff peach fuzz, he was ready.  

6 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Maybe we should give it another year to see what he does before anointing him the chosen one? 

If you trade Oky-Lan Kposobi, he'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine in the form of...  l wonder if they mean Old Ben(son)? 

For the record, I'm not worried about his size or skating or shot. From ages 18-22 Reinhart filled out and became a better skater, Dahlin's shot went from middling to pretty darn solid. But, I want him to be protected by the lineup from burnout or over-reliance until he's ready to reach his full potential. He shouldn't be relied on to be on the PP and PK as a 19 year-old next season.

Edited by DarthEbriate

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As you are indicating, the Benson line composition is going to be intriguing. As many have repeatedly said about Benson is that he is a driver of a line, not simply a benefactor of his linemates. Stating the obvious, this was a terrific draft selection.

Benson - Quinn with my dream scenario, Joe Pavelski. That will never happen because Dallas will keep him and he won't come but that's who I want. 

Benson - Pavelski - Quinn

Peterka - Tage - Tuch

Wilson - Cozens - Skinner

Krebs - ??? Open to ideas - Greenway 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Maybe we should give it another year to see what he does before anointing him the chosen one? 

If I’m in the mood for anointing, my pie in the sky hope for the future from Benson - Cozens - Quinn is something like:

Point - Larkin - Stone 

On 3/31/2024 at 3:17 PM, bob_sauve28 said:

In a bad season like this at least there is a few bright spots. Zac Benson is definitely one. 9 goals and 14 assists for an eighteen year old kid. He plays with grit, determination, vison and  finesse. Just wondering what everyone things this kids upside will be. 

When looking back ten years from now, will he be one of the best players in the league, a very solid player or just someone who gets by? 

Just guess work here, no need to preface remarks with, "Obviously this is just a guess..." No kidding. 😘

I think he's going to be super good! Top ten in scoring, all star and Sabre playoff hero 

He had some moments and you could see the big skill level.  The year in the NHL probably was a positive for him over a year in juniors, but I have to think that an established player would have helped the team more. Benson had 3 or 4 stretches of no points over 10+ games in a row, a few goals mixed in there could have got us a few more points in the standings. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Benson - Quinn with my dream scenario, Joe Pavelski. That will never happen because Dallas will keep him and he won't come but that's who I want. 

Benson - Pavelski - Quinn

Peterka - Tage - Tuch

Wilson - Cozens - Skinner

Krebs - ??? Open to ideas - Greenway 

You have more than once made a terrific point about both Quinn and Benson i.e. that their hockey IQ is off the charts. And without a doubt their competitiveness are in the same high realm. They are so compatible that it would make good sense to play them on the same line. The next issue regarding the line is who should center for them. I have been a Cozens supporter but this season he disappointed me with his play. I would still consider playing these three on the same line but I say that without conviction. As you suggest with your line projections there are a number of intriguing options. 

6 hours ago, #freejame said:

Probably, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a sophomore slump and an uneven development. I just hope we don't ruin him and he becomes like some of the other slackers. The guy is different and he stands out because of it relative to the others. He's been coached differently and his attitude is different. Kid is a hockey player and he brings it. 

He is without a doubt the best thing about this bad season. 

On 4/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Probably, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a sophomore slump and an uneven development. I just hope we don't ruin him and he becomes like some of the other slackers. The guy is different and he stands out because of it relative to the others. He's been coached differently and his attitude is different. Kid is a hockey player and he brings it. 

He is without a doubt the best thing about this bad season. 

I am not an expert on this (or really anything, but I'll save that for the couch), but I would think he is a good candidate to avoid, or have a minimal, sophomore slump. I am thinking it is because of his versatility - he performed in many different roles and was not necessarily shielded from situations. I don't know that he would be asked to do all that much more next year. I think his ability to play so many games in a relatively physical manner this year is a great sign.

I can see three potential scenarios where he could "slump"

1. He puts too much pressure on himself to do significantly better.
  2. His role changes dramatically. New Coach either scales back his role or dramatically increases it.
  3. The fictional SabreSpace Owen Power Regression. Fans expect a significant step forward and when it does not come, the player is declared a bust even tho they are arguably played just as well or even slightly better their second year.

JJ avoid "the slump". He was a little "up and down" or "streaky" in his rookie year and that continued this year, but both the highs and lows were higher.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I am not an expert on this (or really anything, but I'll save that for the couch), but I would think he is a good candidate to avoid, or have a minimal, sophomore slump. I am thinking it is because of his versatility - he performed in many different roles and was not necessarily shielded from situations. I don't know that he would be asked to do all that much more next year. I think his ability to play so many games in a relatively physical manner this year is a great sign.

2. His role changes dramatically. New Coach either scales back his role or dramatically increases it.
  3. The fictional SabreSpace Owen Power Regression. Fans expect a significant step forward and when it does not come, the player is declared a bust even tho they are arguably played just as well or even slightly better their second year.

JJ avoid "the slump". He was a little "up and down" or "streaky" in his rookie year and that continued this year, but both the highs and lows were higher.

New coach changes everything and there's no way to predict who will thrive and who might struggle and even who might quit on the new guy. A new veteran NHL coach might be much less forgiving of mistakes and expectations could change for everyone. 

I think Benson will be fine, but a sophomore slump will not be unexpected. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

New coach changes everything and there's no way to predict who will thrive and who might struggle and even who might quit on the new guy. A new veteran NHL coach might be much less forgiving of mistakes and expectations could change for everyone. 

I think Benson will be fine, but a sophomore slump will not be unexpected. 

I wonder if he actually has to do a stint in Rochester if he slumps 

33 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder if he actually has to do a stint in Rochester if he slumps 

He can't go to Rochester next year

16 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Aren't we still under "NHL or WHL" rules for Benny next year? Similar to Our Boi Savoie this year? Or is there a "he played X nhl games" clause to the agreement?

I don't know of any X NHL games clause. I don't see a scenario where they send him to Rochester even if they could. Why would we send a player who will be better than he was this year to Rochester next year? It just seems unlikely and doesn't make much sense. 

On 4/17/2024 at 11:43 AM, ska-T Chitown said:

You could play Benson under Krueger and he would still be fine. Kid just understands how to play that 200ft game and be a factor on most of his shifts. Next year being 5lbs heavier and a full season more experienced, I don't expect a slump at all. I expect 15-20g and 30a as a baseline. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wouldn't hurt him. There's quite a few teams that have players up and down and up and down and it's all part of the development process. These things do not have to be linear. 

Right after the post where @LGR4GM confirms (again) that Benson cannot go to the AHL next year ...

3 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Right after the post where @LGR4GM confirms (again) that Benson cannot go to the AHL next year ...

If there's a games played exemption, I didn't see it. The age rule is 20 on or before Dec31. The only other rule would be 4 accrued whl seasons. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If there's a games played exemption, I didn't see it. The age rule is 20 on or before Dec31. The only other rule would be 4 accrued whl seasons. 

Yeah, game exemption thing was pulled sideways fresh outta my bum and I regret adding to any confusion now. I shall sit in the corner of shame for 3 mins.

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk but I would have assumed he could. Wasn't it the same with Shane Wright in Seattle and they let him go down? 

Didn’t right end up with 4 years of CHL credit? After Seattle did the IR/AHL recovery/world juniors he went back to his CHL team for the rest of the year. I was almost certain he got credit for the Covid year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1