Why should Granato and the assistants be brought back?

LGR4GM

12 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Byram 1 point in his last 6 games.  

He’s already infected.  

Leadership either behind the bench or on ice needs to change.  

Won’t happen before June but it’s got to happen.  

BB has been coached by this coaching staff. They’ve transformed him into a Buffalo Sabre. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The absolute best thing that can happen is for this team to lose all it's remaining games in uncompetitive fashion. It needs to be so ugly that there is no choice but to fire the entire coaching staff because if they come back with Donny and company next season is already over before it even starts.

• Agree 1

After thinking all season that firing Granato was not warranted, I've changed my mind.

The team is not playing to its potential. Half the time it seems unprepared. He has some skill at developing young players, and I appreciate his patience, but the results are not worth it.

Fire him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/paul-maurice-livid-after-panthers-clinch-playoff-berth-despite-loss-to-islanders/

Imagine having a coach livid after a loss even though they clinched a playoff spot. Imagine passion and accountability.  I can’t since we haven’t had it in so long

This is meaningless to me. Good coaches demand accountability. Some yell and scream and others do so quietly. I don’t need a coach who makes a scene, just one who gets the job done. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bunomatic said:

BB has been coached by this coaching staff. They’ve transformed him into a Buffalo Sabre. 

That is a pretty short timeline, a sign of effective and efficient coaching. Another plus 1 for keeping Donnie and Co. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Oilers.

To be fair, the Oilers were playing like a$$ at the start, but their team was loaded with talent and they were a Cup pick before season started. 

The Canucks were nowhere near projected to be where they are and don’t have the best two forwards in hockey. Tocchet will/should win the Adams.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, rickshaw said:

To be fair, the Oilers were playing like a$$ at the start, but their team was loaded with talent and they were a Cup pick before season started. 

The Canucks were nowhere near projected to be where they are and don’t have the best two forwards in hockey. Tocchet will/should win the Adams.

The point is they made changes instead of just letting it burn to the ground unlike this franchise 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

This is meaningless to me. Good coaches demand accountability. Some yell and scream and others do so quietly. I don’t need a coach who makes a scene, just one who gets the job done. 

I agree with this. I don't like coaches who are shouters. I think too many fans equate being loud and punitive with being a good coach. Sort of the "spare the rod and spoil the child" theory of coaching. Bosses like this do not get the best out of their workers. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr K said:

I agree with this. I don't like coaches who are shouters. I think too many fans equate being loud and punitive with being a good coach. Sort of the "spare the rod and spoil the child" theory of coaching. Bosses like this do not get the best out of their workers. 

There is a place for it. 

Coaches who make it their whole personality have a pretty short timeline with pretty drastic spikes of improvement then failure. 

• Like (+1) 1

Meatballs will not be fired.....so what are the Sabres PR talking points going to be?

1. The team is so young they still need DG's developmental acumen

2. The team loves playing for DG

Bringing him back makes me want to throw-up, but TP and GMKA don't care about the fans.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I really wish they'd have kept Peca as an assistant and then we could have fired Granato this year and seen if things would change with Peca as an interim. As is I see only one good move and that is hiring Lindy Ruff. It's the best PR move, it conjures history, it signals a new era (or return to an old) and if Lindy can't get this lot to perform better you might as well scrap it all. Would he take the job? Probably not. 

My dream? Pegula hires Pat LaFontaine as senior advisor for all hockey operations and retires to Florida and then we can all pretend all of this never happened, just a dream, a really really really bad dream.

I think Lindy would take the job in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think Lindy would take the job in a heartbeat.

I would hope for that but he did sign that extension and gets some big NJ money for doing nothing so he might just want a vacation. In the very least we'd have to offer him term to get him to walk away from that I'd think. 

I just don't see a better option right now. The optics and the optimism this would generate would also be good. Promote a whole return to glory thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Meatballs will not be fired.....so what are the Sabres PR talking points going to be?

1. The team is so young they still need DG's developmental acumen

2. The team loves playing for DG

Bringing him back makes me want to throw-up, but TP and GMKA don't care about the fans.

Bringing him back makes me want to throw-up, but TP and GMKA don't care about the fans or the results.

Edited by Cityo'Rasmii

2 hours ago, Dr K said:

and neither do bosses like Kevyn Adams and Don Granato. That point has been proven over and over and over again. Time for all of them to go!

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Bring in bruce boudreau atleast we know he wants to coach this Disaster franchise 

I'd easily give Bruce a chance instead of rolling it back with Donnie G. for yet another season.

28 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Adams is gonna spew that the Sabres are the youngest team and yes we have to get better so run out and get your 2024-25 seasons. We have a state of the art scoreboard

Adams can say it.. and pretty much anything he says other than "the team failed", "the coaching staff failed", and "I failed" should result in this quote being repeated back to him:

“When I think about playoffs, our expectation of course is there but, honestly, our expectation is to win the Stanley Cup,” Adams said. “I think our window’s open right now and our goal is to be giving ourselves a chance every single year.”

September 21, 2023.

He followed it up with everything the team needed to do.. but the bottom line was that the whole organization needed to do it.

“To win the Stanley Cup you have to win four rounds in the playoffs,” Adams explained. “To win four rounds in the playoffs, you have to make the playoffs. To make the playoffs, you have to win a lot of hockey games. To win a lot of hockey games during the season, you have to be a consistent team, a resilient team, a team that is able to handle adversity, highs and lows, matures. Those are the things that add up.”

It didn't happen.. and the GM gets the players and the coach prepares them.  By their own measured goal, they failed their stated intent.

If they're back next season, it'll be another wasted one.

I've said it before, given the expectations going into this season, a serious hockey organization would have moved on from Granato in December (or early January at the latest) when his club was totally listless and couldn't string together 2 wins in a row. This is not a serious hockey organization. It's an "outfit" that wants to keep nice guys around because they're nice.

Edited by HumanSlinky39