Levi called up

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What is this based on?

Generally, for me, it's based on Hoopla 1 and Hoopla 2, neither of which ended with the result we wanted.

Logically it's a sound move when looking at stats. I worry about changing the tenor of things when things are going well.

The players seem to like Comrie. They would be expected to continue to play well in front of him for one freaking game. It might even be a call to arms... Win one for Comsy.

A slight worry I would have is messing with UPL's head. He is the man now and should be treated accordingly.

Also kind of unfair to Levi to throw him into this situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What is this based on?

Which part?…

Few would question UPL is the main reason we are still in the playoff hunt.

Levi’s big ego and big personality?…

My opinion based on his public comments and interviews after he signed and played so well early in the season… Levi loves the spotlight… UPL has a quieter confidence, I think… Regardless, when Levi joined the team on this West Coast trip (and presumably displaced Comrie), it affected the team dynamic, like it or not… Change the conditions you change the behavior… Hopefully for the better the next week or so.

4 hours ago, Believer said:

Idk… Probably will take Levi out west to play the Vancouver game… Makes sense… Risk is it upsets the team dynamic… UPL is why we are even still talking playoffs and the players know it… Levi is a big ego with a big personality… As long as Adams keeps a leash and muzzle on the kid… and he behaves himself in the room.

I don't think Levi v UPL is an issue. I don't think Levi's personality is an issue. But at the same time I wouldn't be shocked if he does passive aggressively chirp a bit that he should be up at the big club. Even that would be directed at Comrie though. 

1 hour ago, Believer said:

Which part?…

My opinion based on his public comments and interviews after he signed and played so well early in the season… Levi loves the spotlight… UPL has a quieter confidence, I think… Regardless, when Levi joined the team on this West Coast trip (and presumably displaced Comrie), it affected the team dynamic, like it or not… Change the conditions you change the behavior… Hopefully for the better the next week or so.

I don't understand what any of this has to do with UPL. You think they should play him 5 games straight, incl. a back-to-back?

Also, ego can be a good thing in professional sports. Ego and pretentiousness (which I don't get from Levi) are different things. A very confident young goalie coming in (with talent to back it up) could also charge up the locker room, especially as there's a new leadership group. We're all just speculating, but you seem to have gone in the extreme negative direction.

1 hour ago, Believer said:

Which part?…

Defense too.

• Agree 1

Well, this makes it official:  KA has admitted that Comrie is a washout.

The Comrie signing -- and retention in the face of mounting evidence that he wasn't up to the job -- is roughly equivalent to Darcy's signing and retention of Patrick Lalime, who was similarly lousy but retained by Darcy for 3 seasons.  (Although to be fair, Lalime had a .900 and .907 SV% in his 1st 2 seasons with the Sabres -- but he was 5-13 and 4-8 in those seasons, and then 0-5 in his last season here, and no one here at any point thought he was an NHL goalie.)

In any case, this one is definitely a black mark on KA's record.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't understand what any of this has to do with UPL. You think they should play him 5 games straight, incl. a back-to-back?

Also, ego can be a good thing in professional sports. Ego and pretentiousness (which I don't get from Levi) are different things. A very confident young goalie coming in (with talent to back it up) could also charge up the locker room, especially as there's a new leadership group. We're all just speculating, but you seem to have gone in the extreme negative direction.

Think it has everything to do with UPL’s play and the improved D as @PromoTheRobot pointed out… Don’t expect him to play five straight, though…

Credit as well to Adams for the Byram pick up and his impact on the ice and the bench…

As for ego and pretentious, would call Levi’s meditating on his knees at the key between periods a bit pretentious… but he’s a kid… He’ll outgrow it… His stellar play has given Rochester a shot at the playoffs… If he gets a game here, hope he plays well.

So hardly negative, erickompositör72… Like everyone here, just enjoying the ride.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

You're prolly 100% right. The wife or kids piss him off.....Craig packing his bags for Buff or Roc. 

I realize your remark is tongue in cheek, but I think it's actually the opposite:  He wanted a job where he *could* spend time with family and could for the most part set his own schedule.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Generally, for me, it's based on Hoopla 1 and Hoopla 2, neither of which ended with the result we wanted.

Logically it's a sound move when looking at stats. I worry about changing the tenor of things when things are going well.

The players seem to like Comrie. They would be expected to continue to play well in front of him for one freaking game. It might even be a call to arms... Win one for Comsy.

A slight worry I would have is messing with UPL's head. He is the man now and should be treated accordingly.

Also there is mounting evidence in the analytics community that playing the hot hand in B2B is the way to go 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:26 AM, PASabreFan said:

All good points.

KA has admitted a mistake on his part in signing Comrie, who by all accounts is a great guy.  He has racalled a rockie instead of a vet with the playoff chances dangling by a thread.  He trusts Levi more, which is the only logical way to think.

It's a preasure cooker for Levi to be thrust into a literal must win game - no matter when he plays.  I am guessing he will get Vancouver.  It's a chance for him to shine and could be a motivator for the whole team.

On the other hand, it could all just as easily blow up in their collective faces.

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

All good points.

KA has admitted a mistake on his part in signing Comrie, who by all accounts is a great guy.  He has racalled a rockie instead of a vet with the playoff chances dangling by a thread.  He trusts Levi more, which is the only logical way to think.

It's a preasure cooker for Levi to be thrust into a literal must win game - no matter when he plays.  I am guessing he will get Vancouver.  It's a chance for him to shine and could be a motivator for the whole team.

On the other hand, it could all just as easily blow up in their collective faces.

I’d imagine that this is a Granato call, not Adams. The coach needs to be making this kind of decision at this point. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

All good points.

This is similar to what he faced last year after signing his deal. He stood up to the challenge then.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, shrader said:

I’d imagine that this is a Granato call, not Adams. The coach needs to be making this kind of decision at this point. 

I agree.  I never said it was KA deciding to call up Levi.  I did say that this situation is KA admitting, without saying or doing anything, to the fans, the coach and himself that his Comrie signing was a mistake.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Like (+1) 1

Another way to look at this:  because of UPL's stellar play and him taking the crease, Comrie has been sitting on the bench for a long time and has seen very little game action.  He's not mentally sharp and ready to jump in during meaningful games.  Levi, on the other hand, has been playing a ton in Rochester and is playing well.  He's in better "game shape" than Comrie right now, physically and mentally.

I'm certainly not going to argue that Comrie is a great goalie or is more talented than Levi - he's not - but the way the rotation has developed, he's just not playing, so he's ice cold, and it's too risky to insert him into an extremely important game.  He might be more "NHL-ready"  than Levi if he were playing on a regular basis, but he's not.

Levi played pretty well last night.  I don't think the first goal would have been scored if UPL was in net - he's just a bigger, stronger guy, so his leg would not be so easily be pushed into the net.  That said, Levi got the team into the final minutes having only given up 2 goals to one of the top teams in the league, so he did his job.  Unfortunately, with only 17 shots on goal (or whatever it was), the Sabres offense did not do theirs.

• Like (+1) 3