Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

FFS.  They were 23rd in scoring when the great Mitts was here and they still are.

Their scoring problems have zero to do with Mitts' departure.

As between Byram and Mitts, who do you think will score more goals for his new team this year? 

That's a meaningless stat as it reflects the terrible PP and the failure of most of the other 12 forwards.  Casey is 37th in the NHL in EVP with 39 EVP.  JJP is second with 34.  Casey also lead with 27 EVA.  The next closest is Dahlin at 19.  

The scoring problems don't have anything to with Casey's departure, but Casey's departure turned a bad situation worse.

Your other question is also meaningless.  Who cares how many goals they each score going forward.  The question should be is the team better today after the trade than before?  My answer is that they aren't better.  The offense is going to be worse and I don't think the defensive play will improve either.  Outside his injury history, there is nothing "wrong" with Byram the player, except that his in zone play is below average.  Granted that makes him just all the other Sabres D.  There is a reason Colorado made him available.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's a meaningless stat as it reflects the terrible PP and the failure of most of the other 12 forwards.  Casey is 37th in the NHL in EVP with 39 EVP.  JJP is second with 34.  Casey also lead with 27 EVA.  The next closest is Dahlin at 19.  

The scoring problems don't have anything to with Casey's departure, but Casey's departure turned a bad situation worse.

Your other question is also meaningless.  Who cares how many goals they each score going forward.  The question should be is the team better today after the trade than before?  My answer is that they aren't better.  The offense is going to be worse and I don't think the defensive play will improve either.  Outside his injury history, there is nothing "wrong" with Byram the player, except that his in zone play is below average.  Granted that makes him just all the other Sabres D.  There is a reason Colorado made him available.  

Well, you opened the discussion of the "meaningless stat" by noting that the Sabres have scored 3 goals since Mitts' departure.  If team goal-scoring is meaningless when they had Mitts, then it's also meaningless to decry the paltry team scoring since his departure.

As for the terrible PP -- are you referring to the terrible PP that Mitts was a big part of (5th highest PP ice time, one of 4 forwards averaging between 2:32 and 2:55 per game)?

The teams, fans and coaches all care quite a bit about who scores more goals.

Your question about whether the team is better now is of course also quite relevant.  My answer is that any improvement/deterioration resulting from the trade is marginal -- they stunk and had major problems before the trade, and they still do.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The teams, fans and coaches all care quite a bit about who scores more goals.

The fans don't give two sh....s about which players score goals as long as their team scores more than the opponent.  My point is the KA made an inept forward group worse and that has been born out so far by the forward groups' lackluster performance the last two nights. 

So if Byram scores 20 goals next season and the team misses the playoffs again, do you really think the fans will be happy? I doubt it.

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The fans don't give two sh....s about which players score goals as long as their team scores more than the opponent.  My point is the KA made an inept forward group worse and that has been born out so far by the forward groups' lackluster performance the last two nights. 

So if Byram scores 20 goals next season and the team misses the playoffs again, do you really think the fans will be happy? I doubt it.

Holy straw man batman.  Of course the fans care more about the team winning, and of course they won't be happy if the Sabres stink again next year.  The point is that when evaluating 2 players who were traded for each other, one of the biggest metrics, perhaps the biggest, is goals.  This is especially true where the team stinks both before and after the trade.

• SDS pinned this topic
11 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sigh

Another thing about the Sabres, when was the last time you watched them and said "they play fast".  They have had 'fast' players, but they don't play that way. As I said even with Eichel...blazing fast straight line speed but whenever he crossed the blue line, majority of the time he would put the brakes on, slow down and set up the 'half court game'.    I really don't know when you can say they played a 'fast game'.  Probably have to go back of course, to 05-06.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Another thing about the Sabres, when was the last time you watched them and said "they play fast".  They have had 'fast' players, but they don't play that way. As I said even with Eichel...blazing fast straight line speed but whenever he crossed the blue line, majority of the time he would put the brakes on, slow down and set up the 'half court game'.    I really don't know when you can say they played a 'fast game'.  Probably have to go back of course, to 05-06.

Eichel not driving the net drove me directly nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Sigh

Slow starts are the norm for the Sabres.  You play like you practice, and nothing has convinced me that the team culture is not unlike a country club.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll repeat what I said during the stick salute boycott fiasco:  TP hates being embarrassed, and Mittelstadt saying this is embarrassing.

That's 2 embarrassment strikes against KA in fairly short order.  If the Sabres limp to the finish line and end up with, say, 78 pts -- that might be strike 3 for KA, or at least for DG.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Do you and Ben have a link?

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'll repeat what I said during the stick salute boycott fiasco:  TP hates being embarrassed, and Mittelstadt saying this is embarrassing.

That's 2 embarrassment strikes against KA in fairly short order.  If the Sabres limp to the finish line and end up with, say, 78 pts -- that might be strike 3 for KA, or at least for DG.

What would your list include?

ROR driving into a Tim Horton's?

TM calling his wife something bad?

EKane's antics?

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I wish this was true, but I don't think it is. 

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did I poop on your pu pu platter?

Not yet. I just don't take Ben's word at face value. Casey would have to clear it up. Maybe he did and that's why Ben tweeted what he did. Again... Where's the link?

Casey has surely had morning skates in Denver before.

I take back all the ***** I was talking, Byram for Mitts is a great trade for us.

Byram's already a better player. Injuries are an issue. Let us all pray that he doesn't get another concussion. 

Still need a vet to teach Power. Take a UFA short-term in the offseason: OEL, Tanev, Gustaffson, or the like.

I think RJ should be in Roch and Mule/Clifton play 3rd pair. Deal Joker, sign Bryson to a 2-way.

Novikov and RJ battle it out for a shot in the Bigs.