Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

49 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I mean, there's what 4? Other Canadian wjc guys he knows here? He's definitely buddies with Cozens and Krebs.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm all for this trade, but something to consider, Experience on defense seems to have gotten VERY important the last few years in the NHL:

Top 5 teams in the league this year right now, age of their top 4 D-mean they rely on:

-Florida  (29, 27, 28, 32).....ave: 29, youngest 27

-Vancouver (24, 26, 34, 35)...ave 29.75, youngest 24

-Boston (26, 30, 27, 30)....ave 28.25, youngest 26

-Winnipeg (28, 30, 28, 33)....ave 29.75, youngest 28

-NY Rangers (26, 24, 30, 28)...ave 27, youngest 24

And Vegas as the cup winner last year (34, 28, 33, 36)....ave 32.75, youngest 28

Now for Buffalo...with Byram, Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson: (23, 21, 23, 22)....ave 22.25.  OLDEST 23

Buffalo's OLDEST D-man is younger than the youngest on the top 5 teams this year, and of course the AVERAGE age of Buffalo's new top 5 is less than the single youngest guy on any of the teams above.

This D-group has the potential to be Elite, one of the best the NHL has seen in years...BUT if that does happen, its likely to need a few YEARS to get to that point.

So what you're saying is 4 years from now, our defense will be really good?

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Try to keep up with your own logic here. 

You knocked the trade because we traded for a player who suffered three concussions early in his career, the last being over two years ago. But then you say you would be fine with having a player who has suffered more of them. Ergo, your stated concern about concussions is bullcrap because it’s more about talent than concern for the player. 

But yeah, once you suffer an initial concussion the next one is exponentially easier to sustain and with even less force required to sustain it. That said the treatments and protocols have improved over the last several years as well so their effects can be better mitigated. 

As to whether he should keep playing if he sustains another one, that depends on several factors. I’ll just say that after Kyle Okposo went into a manic state, suffered from paranoia, delusions, and had to be hospitalized after a concussion, I was all for his retirement. But that was six years ago now. 

Try again genius.

Mitts = 0 concussions. 

Byram = 3+.

Forget about Sidney Crosby since your decision to mention him was asinine to begin with. 

1 minute ago, seer775 said:

Try again genius.

Mitts = 0 concussions. 

Byram = 3+.

Forget about Sidney Crosby since your decision to mention him was asinine to begin with. 

You’re dismissed. 

Now we just need to trade Power for whatever our version of Tkachuk would be, put Lindy behind the bench, find a decent vet goalie to pair with UPL and we'd be all set.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

As much as I liked watching Casey, he also had a knack for not finishing. Wish him the best. If this guy stops Dahlin playing 30 minutes a night it’s a good move. Let’s hope it’s not another Clifton bust 

I still think our issues is mainly coaching 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

Byram will surprise... it's not a stretch to suggest he might just be the best skater on the team.   Fits Granato's fire wagon system to a T.  

Gonna be interesting to see if he gets any PP time, maybe take some minutes away from Poser.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

As much as I liked watching Casey, he also had a knack for not finishing. Wish him the best. If this guy stops Dahlin playing 30 minutes a night it’s a good move. Let’s hope it’s not another Clifton bust 

Clifton is a bust?

No Idea News To Me GIF by ANTIQUES ROADSHOW | PBS

10 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Coaching and roster construction.  

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I do believe this is the first in series of moves.

Could Jokiharju be on the move by Friday? 

As a right shot, he’s sticking out like a sore thumb 

• Haha (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I do believe this is the first in series of moves.

Could Jokiharju be on the move by Friday? 

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As a right shot, he’s sticking out like a sore thumb 

Like most GMs, I think KA is more inclined to trade guys he inherited (like Mitts) than guys he chose -- but would they really reduce their limited supply of RHD?  It's an interesting question.

Now if they wanted to trade a RHD -- Power, Savoie and a #1 for Tkachuk?

In any case I would love another big move, although I fear it won't matter until a new coach is brought in.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not a fan of the trade.  I don't think they got appropriate value for a player that is currently playing extremely well at a premium position, is young, and still has rfa years.  

KA has repeatedly said he "isn't shopping" Mitts.. as recently as that interview with Fairburn in the Atlantic (it was the day of the game vs. VGK).  KA, for the most part, seems like a pretty straight shooter.  I don't recall him ever misleading the media intentionally.  If he had an offer from the Avalanche that he was willing to accept, he absolutely should have been shopping Mitts to find out if that is the best deal he could get for him.  If he did "shop" Mitts in the meantime to all the other teams, he really should be waiting until closer to the trade deadline to let other teams try to outbid the Avs or for the Avs to feel the heat and offer more.  IMO, either way you look at it.. he kind of screwed the pooch.  

side note:  screwed the pooch is an odd phrase, never really thought about that one in a literal sense.    

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Ctaeth said:

I'm not a fan of the trade.  I don't think they got appropriate value for a player that is currently playing extremely well at a premium position, is young, and still has rfa years.  

KA has repeatedly said he "isn't shopping" Mitts.. as recently as that interview with Fairburn in the Atlantic (it was the day of the game vs. VGK).  KA, for the most part, seems like a pretty straight shooter.  I don't recall him ever misleading the media intentionally.  If he had an offer from the Avalanche that he was willing to accept, he absolutely should have been shopping Mitts to find out if that is the best deal he could get for him.  If he did "shop" Mitts in the meantime to all the other teams, he really should be waiting until closer to the trade deadline to let other teams try to outbid the Avs or for the Avs to feel the heat and offer more.  IMO, either way you look at it.. he kind of screwed the pooch.  

side note:  screwed the pooch is an odd phrase, never really thought about that one in a literal sense.    

I am highly skeptical that KA could've gotten more for Mitts than Byram.  Frankly, I'm pretty surprised he got that much.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

5 players from the Canadian 2020 U20 team.  Didn’t they lose to the US?  Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, Byram and Levi.

Maybe they’ll have better luck in the NHL.  Ryan Johnson was on the US squad.

Cozens and Byram were the only two on 2020 team. Krebs, Quinn and Levi played in 2021 with them.

6 hours ago, oddoublee said:

all for the positive take - it is not all gloom and doom. cozens and tage are good - although i am not as high on cozens at center - not higher than casey at center at the very least. 

in a nutshell, that is where we differ. I think Casey is our 2 C - and with him we are still a C short. 

Now if we take away the C's and the W's in this argument (as mitts and cozens can play both at a top 6 level) - we are still short a legit top 6 player. 

At D, feel our biggest problem (pre Byram even) was their age. Very young - and always thought it would mature into a good group in a couple years. Personally feel our top 6 and depth in Rochester/Juniors is overrated, and is now weaker. 

Legit Top 6 - Tage, Cozens, Tuch, Peterka and possibly JJ (candidly, we do not know yet with him, it is a guess). Skinner is a 3rd line winger on a good team - getting more than 15 minutes, if, and only if your team is losing going into the 3rd period. Greenway is bottom 6. Krebs is bottom 6. Benson is bottom 6, with top 6 potential in a couple years - we are thinner than people think at Forward. 

Feel free to offer your take Hank. More than willing to debate