GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Tampa Bay Lightning Thurs. Feb 29th 7pm, ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Shoot da Puck

cut-2-5.thumb.webp.24c7b1ade7f8a07e8cb8d821e5a9d390.webp

As the Buffalo Sabres gear up to face the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Amalie Arena on February 29th at 7:00 PM ET, anticipation is mounting. The Sabres, positioned sixth in the Atlantic Division, are set to prove their mettle against the Lightning, who stand a notch above in fifth place. This matchup isn't just about climbing the divisional ladder; it's a test of resilience and strategy as both teams vie for crucial points late in the season. With the Sabres aiming to even out their record and the Lightning looking to solidify their playoff positioning, this game promises to be a thrilling encounter filled with skillful plays and strategic maneuvers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As the Sabres gear up for golf season they travel to Tampa Fla to peruse the latest in golf technology... on tap is a virtual tour of a hole in one...  and how to properly execute a golf clap... Tage Thompson predicted will sprain a glute during the clap and KO will fall asleep during hole in one... Dg will exclaim the team is putting in effort just not executing...  Jeff Skinner resumes his training for senior Olympics figure skating... while Dahlin shakes is head and throws up his arms in frustration.  Finally a tour of assisted living facilities are on tap for all Sabres personnel.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Motivation waning 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

As the Sabres gear up for golf season they travel to Tampa Fla to peruse the latest in golf technology... on tap is a virtual tour of a hole in one...  and how to properly execute a golf clap... Tage Thompson predicted will sprain a glute during the clap and KO will fall asleep during hole in one... Dg will exclaim the team is putting in effort just not executing...  Jeff Skinner resumes his training for senior Olympics figure skating... while Dahlin shakes is head and throws up his arms in frustration.  Finally a tour of assisted living facilities are on tap for all Sabres personnel.

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Shoot da Puck said:

As the Buffalo Sabres gear up to face the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Amalie Arena on February 29th at 7:00 PM ET, anticipation is mounting. The Sabres, positioned sixth in the Atlantic Division, are set to prove their mettle against the Lightning, who stand a notch above in fifth place. This matchup isn't just about climbing the divisional ladder; it's a test of resilience and strategy as both teams vie for crucial points late in the season. With the Sabres aiming to even out their record and the Lightning looking to solidify their playoff positioning, this game promises to be a thrilling encounter filled with skillful plays and strategic maneuvers.

@Shoot da Puck, you are an impressive writer… Great intro!

• Agree 1

I just want to  watch good hockey.

Some here want to see them lose because they think it will force the team to move on from DG.  

I think there is no interest in that from KA/TP brain trust.   They are probably not prepared to do a coach search anyway.  

Win tonight and stay alive Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Players and coaches alike must know that it is absolutely do or die tonight. If this team looks even remotely flat in the first period, it will tell us everything that most of us already know about the coaching.

... and something about the players too.  The players should not need a coach breathing down their necks to get it.   We have heard enough about Florida to realize its players like Tkachuk, Barkov, and Ekblad, that set the tone.   

This season showed me enough examples to know that the leadership in the room is not right.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

... and something about the players too.  The players should not need a coach breathing down their necks to get it.   We have heard enough about Florida to realize its players like Tkachuk, Barkov, and Ekblad, that set the tone.   

This season showed me enough examples to know that the leadership in the room is not right.  

As many here have called for…

Pegula and KA cannot deny the fan dissatisfaction with this coaching staff and roster…

Will be telling how they respond at the trade deadline and the offseason… 

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Your central point that there shouldn't be a need for the HC to motive his players to play with a degree of desperation because they should have the ability on their own to recognize that need makes a lot of sense. However, I have a slightly different perspective on that issue as it pertains to this team/roster. How long have posters, analysts and media commentators talked about the necessity to have players have greater net presence, especially on offense? It's clearly not done enough. Why? This roster is simply not built with enough players who have the desire, ability and inclination to consistently do that dirty work. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been repeatedly said, but our roster construction isn't well-rounded enough to do it on a consistent basis. It's not so much about adding bigger players as it is about adding tougher and grittier players. In my view, a few more of these types of players would make a big qualitative difference to this roster. 

The three opposing players you mentioned are the types of players we don't have on this roster. They add a "physical presence" that we don't currently have. What's ironical about the Sabre roster construction is that Benson, who is one of our smallest and least physically developed players, provides the most "net presence" that we don't adequately have. That's sad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

As many here have called for…

Pegula and KA cannot deny the fan dissatisfaction with this coaching staff and roster…

Will be telling how they respond at the trade deadline and the offseason… 

I don't see much happening at the deadline.  There will be interest in Zemgus.  The off season should be interesting.  

3 hours ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I want what he's smoking.....

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Players and coaches alike must know that it is absolutely do or die tonight. If this team looks even remotely flat in the first period, it will tell us everything that most of us already know about the coaching.

Season has been over for months. Tonight makes no difference to them or to the standings.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I want what he's smoking.....

A eyes!!!???!?!?!  

can you write a 100 word preview for the Sabres vs Lighting game tonight?

"Tonight's game between the Buffalo Sabres and the Tampa Bay Lightning promises a showdown of epic proportions. With both teams hungry for a win, expect fast-paced action, jaw-dropping plays, and intense rivalries on full display. The Sabres, led by rising stars like Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin, aim to upset the reigning champions and make a statement. Meanwhile, the Lightning, armed with formidable talent in Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos, seek to defend their title with vigor. It's a clash you won't want to miss, packed with excitement and anticipation from start to finish."

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

A eyes!!!???!?!?!  

can you write a 100 word preview for the Sabres vs Lighting game tonight?

"Tonight's game between the Buffalo Sabres and the Tampa Bay Lightning promises a showdown of epic proportions. With both teams hungry for a win, expect fast-paced action, jaw-dropping plays, and intense rivalries on full display. The Sabres, led by rising stars like Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin, aim to upset the reigning champions and make a statement. Meanwhile, the Lightning, armed with formidable talent in Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos, seek to defend their title with vigor. It's a clash you won't want to miss, packed with excitement and anticipation from start to finish."

Suddenly I don't feel as threatened that AI is going to steal my job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I don't see much happening at the deadline.  There will be interest in Zemgus.  The off season should be interesting.  

I’m hoping Okposo gets moved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Believer said:

I’m hoping Okposo gets moved.

Yes.  Then throw the kids to the wolves and see who survives.  Already getting mentally soft vibes from Kulich and Rosen.  They need to sink or swim.  More Cliches!! 

• Agree 1

I wish the Sabres had “their game.” They tried to play Florida’s game on Tuesday. Didn’t do too bad a job of it either. Penalties made it impossible for them pull it off, though.

I’m sure they’ll try to play Tampa’s game tonight. It won’t work.

Tampa is old. Skate skate skate.

Don’t fight Tanner Jeannot.

They’re not going to get the calls again tonight. Just deal with it and keep playing.

Just ***** win!

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Even though the season is over, I am actually really excited to watch this game tonight. I want to see what they are actually capable of, and anything less than a 60 minute effort will be a disgrace. Unfortunately, I am fully prepared for this to be my last game of the year.