GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Tampa Bay Lightning Thurs. Feb 29th 7pm, ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Shoot da Puck

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

I still don't understand where this type of result was earlier in the year. 

Season ticket push wasn't on.

Lots of things are motivating these results.

Just a matter of whether we get fooled again.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Tampa has been garbage lately. major slump and they looked it tonight as well imo. Philly beat them 6-2 the game before. They are not playing well at all. 

That's what I saw, very low energy and a very low event game. In a word it was BORING. 

I'm glad they won, but I didn't see much of anything to get excited about from either team. Clifton threw one grade A hit but that's all I can think of for big plays. Tage's goal was fine, and sometimes he hits those just right, but it was just another one of those many many low danger shots from the same area and most times they get stopped or go off target. I mean they won, but it was not a good game and I definitely don't see this "heart" that was referenced. 

Consider your statement.  The average shooting percentage of the league is somewhere around 10% right?  So, 9 times out of 10, a shot does not enter the net. Presumably that only counts the shots that count as actual shots on goal and not shot attempts. Add in shot attempts and the percentage of goals based on shot attempts goes down further. 

Why do I bring this up?

You are taking a negative approach to a player scoring a goal. Your reasoning is that most of the time it does not go in. This is true for every player in the league. So why is it any more negative for Tage Thompson?

You also point out "off target" shots.  You well know that players shoot at small sections of the net and in by reducing their shooting area from 4x6 to something much smaller the chance of hitting that spot is greatly reduced.  Yet you bash Tage for it again.

Just something to consider with your personal approach to the team. Is it hard to believe others could be happy with a win against Tampa? Regardless of how they've been playing they do have the league's leading scorer. I'm not saying change anything about how you feel, just consider that others might be happy that Tage Thompson put the puck in the net.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, sabresouth said:

After being one of UPL's strongest critics, he has definitely turned the corner and playing well in the crease. Now that he is making the saves, he needs to now work on his play behind the net. He gives the puck right to the opposing team an awful lot.

Greenway is not a top line player IMHO. I don't get the logic of him being there. The Thompson line becomes less of a threat when he is on it. He doesn't have the play making prowess to match up with Thompson and Tuch. He's a third/fourth liner who can fill in on the second line.

This is your take?   UPL stands on his head once again.   His puck handling has improved a lot, and yes, it still needs some work. 

Greenway is not a first line player, that is obvious, but he helped the first line to wake up last night.   They were better last night than they have been. Skinner is killing that line, I don’t care how much benefit and how many goals Skinner gets from the work the other two put in.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

This is your take?   UPL stands on his head once again.   His puck handling has improved a lot, and yes, it still needs some work. 

And he knows it. He was shaking his head after freezing the puck once last night. A Little later he made a nice play moving the puck to a d-man who got the puck moving back up ice. 

9 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Sabres need to win 10 out of the next 12 to be in contention and the 8 out last 10.  Steep climb.

They need 34 points in the next 22 games. About .772 points pace. 

Since Jan 1 they are 13-9, around .590.  If they played like that all year they'd be a playoff team.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, LTS said:

Consider your statement.  The average shooting percentage of the league is somewhere around 10% right?  So, 9 times out of 10, a shot does not enter the net. Presumably that only counts the shots that count as actual shots on goal and not shot attempts. Add in shot attempts and the percentage of goals based on shot attempts goes down further. 

Why do I bring this up?

You are taking a negative approach to a player scoring a goal. Your reasoning is that most of the time it does not go in. This is true for every player in the league. So why is it any more negative for Tage Thompson?

You also point out "off target" shots.  You well know that players shoot at small sections of the net and in by reducing their shooting area from 4x6 to something much smaller the chance of hitting that spot is greatly reduced.  Yet you bash Tage for it again.

Just something to consider with your personal approach to the team. Is it hard to believe others could be happy with a win against Tampa? Regardless of how they've been playing they do have the league's leading scorer. I'm not saying change anything about how you feel, just consider that others might be happy that Tage Thompson put the puck in the net.

Well first off, I did say I was happy they won, I just wasn't impressed with how they played. Both things can be true. 

Now on to Tage, that stat argument means nothing because the thing is it's all about all 5 players on the ice and that there could be (and usually is) a better option or plan than just shooting from that same predictable spot. 

Broaden that repertoire, drive the net, drop the puck to that mobile D and continue into the front for a tip or just screen, cycle it back to the wing, keep the play moving and create havoc. Just taking that same shot over and over is not going to lead to team success. It generally ends the threat. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well first off, I did say I was happy they won, I just wasn't impressed with how they played. Both things can be true. 

Now on to Tage, that stat argument means nothing because the thing is it's all about all 5 players on the ice and that there could be (and usually is) a better option or plan than just shooting from that same predictable spot. 

Broaden that repertoire, drive the net, drop the puck to that mobile D and continue into the front for a tip or just screen, cycle it back to the wing, keep the play moving and create havoc. Just taking that same shot over and over is not going to lead to team success. It generally ends the threat. 

Of course it's about the whole game.  But sometimes the leading player on the team just has to take the shot.  The Sabres have been often criticized for too many passes and not enough north-south, shoot.  As I understand it, the power play to that point had been abysmal so Tage takes the puck and he scores.

Ovechkin keeps taking a shot from the same spot too... it works.

-----

One thing I did notice was that during the Tampa power play when Buffalo used its timeout you could see the AC diagramming the PK.  I wasn't initially sure what he was drawing out as his lines were just outside the Sabres blue line.  But it became abundantly clear when Greenway picked off the play and almost scored a shortie.  Not too long after that it happened again with Tuch's PK group.  Clearly they had picked up on something with Tampa's puck movement.  It lends credence that perhaps the coaches know what's up sometimes. 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Of course it's about the whole game.  But sometimes the leading player on the team just has to take the shot.  The Sabres have been often criticized for too many passes and not enough north-south, shoot.  As I understand it, the power play to that point had been abysmal so Tage takes the puck and he scores.

Ovechkin keeps taking a shot from the same spot too... it works.

-----

One thing I did notice was that during the Tampa power play when Buffalo used its timeout you could see the AC diagramming the PK.  I wasn't initially sure what he was drawing out as his lines were just outside the Sabres blue line.  But it became abundantly clear when Greenway picked off the play and almost scored a shortie.  Not too long after that it happened again with Tuch's PK group.  Clearly they had picked up on something with Tampa's puck movement.  It lends credence that perhaps the coaches know what's up sometimes. 🙂

The difference between Ovi and Tage (one difference anyway) is that Ovi will wait and then take that shot if there's traffic in front or it's the right moment to make it a high danger play. Tage will just take that shot regardless of what else is happening. 

I have no issue with his shot, he has a good one, but it's about how the TEAM works in and around it and how it all works together to make these chances into actual scoring chances. I've critiqued this team for years on having too much individual play and it's still the same issue. 

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

I agree with your comments about the Sabre playing with desperation and heart throughout the game. On the other hand, I have a different analysis as to why this team is playing better at this juncture of the season. The primary reason is that with UPL in between the pipes, the level of goaltending has risen to a high level. His play for a sustained period of time is one of the best in the league. There is no question that our blueline unit and team defense in general is better. But the main reason for this turnaround can be attributed to how UPL has played in net. Candidly, I am stunned by how much he has risen as a goalie. Go back I watch how UPL played in the shootout in the Carolina game and compare it to how he played in shootouts last year, when he would flop like a frantic fish facing a shooter. The metamorphosis is stunning! 

I'm not 🤪

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Ok, i am calling BS on this..... we had 14 shots total 5 mins into the 3rd...... and we were down a goal. We had a grand total of 2 High danger chances the whole game. Either there was a huge error or Moneypuck had no idea what they hell they were doing. 

And there is a lot KA could have done as we have a trove of young talent that other teams would want for some skilled grit and sandpaper. There is zero way there is room on the Sabres for all these kids. KA is going to pull a Olofsson and let the pieces rot while not getting anything for them.

Plus one on this take.  Tampa missed at least three open nets in the first two periods, including a one timer from Kucherov from the right dot.  I was shocked he actually missed the net.  I think they had two posts early as well.  Out chanced by a lot.

16 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Dunleavy is getting worse and worse. Was that the most boring OT winner call in the history of this organization?

They have to get someone new for next year, absolutely have to do that. I would rather listen to the espn plus guys by a mile. 

I'm not sure if you saw my comment a bit back. On the radio, I had absolutely no idea what was going on for the 3 on 3. TV, maybe you can let the picture do the talking, but on radio it was so disappointing to not be able to follow the play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The difference between Ovi and Tage (one difference anyway) is that Ovi will wait and then take that shot if there's traffic in front or it's the right moment to make it a high danger play. Tage will just take that shot regardless of what else is happening. 

I have no issue with his shot, he has a good one, but it's about how the TEAM works in and around it and how it all works together to make these chances into actual scoring chances. I've critiqued this team for years on having too much individual play and it's still the same issue. 

But you noticeably avoid the part where I mention the team has been criticized for making too many passes.  There's just no happy medium for people I suppose.

Players with strong shots shoot pucks. There's no point in arguing that point because its true.  You just want to critique Thompson for scoring a goal on a power play that had been absolutely atrocious up to that point.  What else is there to say?  You are actually criticizing a Sabres player for scoring a goal.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

But you noticeably avoid the part where I mention the team has been criticized for making too many passes.  There's just no happy medium for people I suppose.

Players with strong shots shoot pucks. There's no point in arguing that point because its true.  You just want to critique Thompson for scoring a goal on a power play that had been absolutely atrocious up to that point.  What else is there to say?  You are actually criticizing a Sabres player for scoring a goal.

You are twisting what I said to make your point. Are you a politician???

I didn't "noticeably avoid" that part, I don't agree with that as an assessment and never have. The problem has never been too many passes, it's too many giveaways and a failure to go to high danger areas. Perimeter passing is the problem, not passing in general. 

The issue for me is taking shots without traffic in front. They have a very low success percentage and that is the problem with the team. Occasionally they go in, but not nearly enough. It's a bad strategy and a weakness. That's it. 

Edited by PerreaultForever