Elias Pettersson agrees to an 8 year Extension with the Canucks

Brawndo

There is enough smoke around the fact that The Canucks have made an offer to Pettersson but they are not convinced they will be able to sign him as He may want out. Rumors that he did not like the way the owner treated Bruce Bourdeau to the fact He doesn’t like playing in a Canadian Media Market might be part of the reason why. 

Perhaps @dudacek can provide so more insight. 

He has two years of RFA left after this season,  and would probably require a huge extension starting at 12 million AAV.

That being said, if you want a franchise changing trade, this would be it 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So what would it take 

Vancouver is in "win now" mode.  It would have to be quality established players.

Honestly, though, Vancouver should wait until the off-season to move him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So what would it take 

Mitts, Savoie, something else (like Rosen level prospect), and probably a 1st, maybe a 2nd round pick if you can get lucky. I would consider including either Samuelsson, R Johnson, or something like that as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, inkman said:

It’s trade for every NHL team’s franchise player szn 

That being said, if somehow this happens (which it won’t), a big salary or two are going the other way.  Gotta be 26, 72, 24 or 25 going the other way.  

Friedman mentioned it on a radio spot last week and he didn’t get the usual stern rebuke he normally does when saying these types of things 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman mentioned it on a radio spot last week and he didn’t get the usual stern rebuke he normally does when saying these types of things 

Oh he may get moved, I just doubt Adams has the chutzpah do get it done. 

A good old fashioned hockey trade would be very fun

we are hypothetically in a position where we could easily put together one of the best packages. Maybe we wouldn’t be offering the best NHLer but we have the luxury of being able to severely bump up our package due to our plethora of prospects, fighting to make an already young team 

we can be the ones to overpay and still win the war, easily 

Edited by Thorny

They're not going to move him during a contending season. Rutherford even said they weren't making anymore "big" trades when the team is playing well. If he gets traded, it's either during the draft or whenever qualifying offers are due before the 7/1 date when teams could theoretically (they won't) offer sheet.

If he really did decline an 8 year / $96m offer, two of Tage, Cozens, Mitts, Sammy, or Power need to be going to Vancouver. Not to mention whatever other picks/prospects it's going to take. 

I like Pettersson and I think he would be a franchise changing trade, but I'm not sure adding a $12+m / yr player is really worth it considering the percentage of cap allocation. I don't know. That's a difficult one.

Pettersson is lethal on the power play, but if you trade Tage for him, we'll run into the same one-trick pony power play we currently have. Cozens and Mitts going to Vancouver destroys the center depth. A forward and a D makes sense to me--especially since five of seven active D contracts on the Canucks expire at the end of this season--but we're already weak on defensive depth. So now you're going to need to game plan for the free agency or find another trade.

Eh. It's a fun thought experiment, but it'll never happen.

Pettersson + Pettersson for Mittelstadt + Power + Rosen + 2025 2nd.

EDIT: Maybe they'll throw in Josh Bloom so the people who were upset we traded him for Stillman can find peace.

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Mitts, Savoie, something else (like Rosen level prospect), and probably a 1st, maybe a 2nd round pick if you can get lucky. I would consider including either Samuelsson, R Johnson, or something like that as well. 

I don’t think Casey has the rep outside of Buffalo he has here (budding star player).  What’s he to the rest of the league?  A 60 point guy?  Maybe he has enough of a resume to be the centerpiece.  I’d think it would have to be Tage, Dylan, Rasmus or Owen. 

31 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

That offer is the equivalent of four first rounders. Granted, we can afford it. But it doesn’t seem cheap to me. 

I guess we gotta spend those picks somehow cuz there isn’t room for everyone. So bombs away. Maybe Dahlin can recruit him. 

I'll trade a bunch of lottery tickets for a hundred point player 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

TNT, Kulich, Rosen, Samuelsson, and 2024 1st. 

It would be expensive and since he can sign an extension July 1st, a new contract would have to come with it 

This would be insane.

Elias had 102 pts last year to Tage’s 94. And Tage will make about 5MM less than Pett’s new contract.  So why would Buffalo have to throw in the equivalent of three additional first rounders PLUS an NHL defenseman on a reasonable long term contract?

That offer doesn’t make any sense. 

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t think Casey has the rep outside of Buffalo he has here (budding star player).  What’s he to the rest of the league?  A 60 point guy?  Maybe he has enough of a resume to be the centerpiece.  I’d think it would have to be Tage, Dylan, Rasmus or Owen. 

Ya, if your reaction is “oh id definitely do that”, it’s too light 

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This would be insane.

Elias had 102 pts last year to Tage’s 94. And Tage will make about 5MM less than Pett’s new contract.  So why would Buffalo have to throw in the equivalent of three additional first rounders PLUS an NHL defenseman on a reasonable long term contract?

..and there’s the reaction you’ll see accompany what the realistic trade would be 

Just now, inkman said:

In my eyes Casey is the forward going back to Vancouver who can play in the lineup and the centerpiece has to be Power (1OA pedigree, etc). Add to it the Vancouver contract situation next season with their defense basically all on expiring contracts (except Hughes--Hronek is an RFA) and it makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ya, if your reaction is “oh id definitely do that”, it’s too light 

..and there’s the reaction you’ll see accompany what the realistic trade would be 

I get where you’re coming from, but that deal I replied to is not realistic.  

But it is fun fantasy hockey speculation. 

38 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

That seems cheap.

There's a reason it seems cheap.

There is zero possibility that Mitts is the best NHL player going to Van in a Pettersson trade.

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

TNT, Kulich, Rosen, Samuelsson, and 2024 1st. 

It would be expensive and since he can sign an extension July 1st, a new contract would have to come with it 

Now this is more realistic.

Even so, I don't particularly want to pay a huge price for Pettersson and then make him one of the highest paid players in the NHL.  He's a very good player, but he's not what the Sabres are dying for, which is leadership, toughness and determination (and good coaching). 

I'd much rather pay through the nose for Tkachuk.

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

This.

Just now, Porous Five Hole said:

This would be insane.

And TT has perhaps led the Sabres in their enormous and disappointing step back this season, with 33 pts in 48 games (56-pt pace) and generally comatose play, while Pettersson is on track for 101 pts as the Canucks lead the NHL standings.

TT deserves $5MM less than EP.

• Agree 2

Vancouver is one of the best in the league. They’re not going to trade one of their best players when they are favorites to win the cup. That, and winning changes everything. If they win the cup, Pettersson may likely have a change of heart. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

Petterson? I'd much, much rather have him that Tkachuk.  What would I give up? Quite a bit. I think he is a real top 10 player in the NHL right now and still getting better.  I don't think this is happening though. 

The only thing that gives me pause is the next contract. In the NHL, to win the CUP (not just be playoff-good, but to be truly competitive for the Cup year in and year out) you have to have some bargains on your team.  Get enough good to great players like Toronto, you are guaranteed to be good and in the playoffs. But pay them all market value (no bargains) and you are also guaranteed to usually not go far in the playoffs and not even sniff a presidents trophy at all in your entire run.

Now, the rumors (and I know we all know what rumors are)....say they offered him 8 years at $95-$100m....and he still hasn't signed it. (just one of many sources: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/canucks-have-already-made-a-massive-offer-to-re-sign-elias-pettersson/ar-BB1iN0FN).

If he hasn't signed that...then what is he really looking for?  $13m?  $14m per year? As good/great as he is, I'm not sure I want to trade Tage/Cozens/Power or a combo of them for a player taking up that much of my cap unless their last name starts with an "M" and ends with atthews, cdavid, or acKinnon.

Edited by mjd1001

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

There's a reason it seems cheap.

There is zero possibility that Mitts is the best NHL player going to Van in a Pettersson trade.

Now this is more realistic.

Even so, I don't particularly want to pay a huge price for Pettersson and then make him one of the highest paid players in the NHL.  He's a very good player, but he's not what the Sabres are dying for, which is leadership, toughness and determination (and good coaching). 

I'd much rather pay through the nose for Tkachuk.

This.

And TT has perhaps led the Sabres in their enormous and disappointing step back this season, with 33 pts in 48 games (56-pt pace) and generally comatose play, while Pettersson is on track for 101 pts as the Canucks lead the NHL standings.

TT deserves $5MM less than EP.

And Petterson is a year younger and was basically berthed into a league as a point per game player. When you consider you are paying for the whole player and not what’s so far much more of an outlier season where Tage is concern, it’s not hard to see the value gap between the two players

Tage has a really swell contract tho so while I’d deal him for EP, it’s not close to defcon 1. He’s a good player to have, too

• Like (+1) 1