Elias Pettersson agrees to an 8 year Extension with the Canucks

Brawndo

No thank you.

Tremendous player but his future contract in addition to the cost to acquire makes its a non-starter. 

This whole contract saga with Vancouver doesn't exactly sit right with me; he demanded they try to win this year and Vancouver has practically moved heaven and earth to achieve an incredible record this season. And yet  with a supposed 12 mil contract on the table he still refuses to sign it. To me that either strikes me as him being selfish and not a team player or someone with unrealistic expectations.

• dislike 1

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

And TT has perhaps led the Sabres in their enormous and disappointing step back this season, with 33 pts in 48 games (56-pt pace) and generally comatose play, while Pettersson is on track for 101 pts as the Canucks lead the NHL standings.

TT deserves $5MM less than EP.

I just think we are all sounding awfully thirsty to move on from our best offensive player we’ve seen in 20 years (Briere). And on a reasonable contract to boot.  

I know you said perhaps, but to dump on him as leading the step back season doesn’t hit right. I think he’s been playing hurt from the beginning of the year til the all star break.   

I’ll take Tage and that 5MM to spend plus my three first round assets plus Muel over Pett.  Now if it was Mitts, three first rounders, and Muel…yes I do that. But only because of the abundance of first round assets we have in stock. I don’t think many NHL teams would be able to match that offer AND can pay for a 12MM player. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I just think we are all sounding awfully thirsty to move on from our best offensive player we’ve seen in 20 years (Briere). And on a reasonable contract to boot.  

I know you said perhaps, but to dump on him as leading the step back season doesn’t hit right. I think he’s been playing hurt from the beginning of the year til the all star break.   

I’ll take Tage and that 5MM to spend plus my three first round assets plus Muel over Pett.  Now if it was Mitts, three first rounders, and Muel…yes I do that. But only because of the abundance of first round assets we have in stock. I don’t think many NHL teams would be able to match that offer AND can pay for a 12MM player. 

20 years? Jack was better 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

No thank you.

Tremendous player but his future contract in addition to the cost to acquire makes its a non-starter. 

This whole contract saga with Vancouver doesn't exactly sit right with me; he demanded they try to win this year and Vancouver has practically moved heaven and earth to achieve an incredible record this season. And yet  with a supposed 12 mil contract on the table he still refuses to sign it. To me that either strikes me as him being selfish and not a team player or someone with unrealistic expectations.

He was asked in the off-season if he was going to sign a new contract and he stated he would not sign a contract during the season (which was interpreted as him wanting to see the team produce results, but could just be personal for him for whatever reason). It's possible he declined the reported offer out of principle? We don't know what's going through his head and a lot of the media tends to paint things as more dramatic than they really are. The latter is the real issue. We don't know what's really running through his head.

23 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I would move any prospect some get to Attached to these kids Half these guys just end up Average players or nothing 

Hell matthew savoie could just be another peyton Krebs

How many people are arguing to keep our prospects?  It’s almost unanimous people want good players today. Well probably yesterday when it could have impacted this season but you get my point. 

Edited by inkman

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

How many people are arguing to keep our prospects?  It’s almost unanimous people want good players today. Well probably yesterday when it could have impacted this season but you get my point. 

I’m not so sure 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Yep and the playoffs last year were prove of that 

Technically it would depend on how you mean best offensive player in Buffalo or that played in Buffalo at some point. Effectively Thompson had a better season that Eichel ever had in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Technically it would depend on how you mean best offensive player in Buffalo or that played in Buffalo at some point. Effectively Thompson had a better season that Eichel ever had in Buffalo.

That’s incorrect.

Jack finished higher in scoring and by way of the MVP vote 

8 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I guess I should have clarified in a best we’ve seen in a Sabres uniform in the last 20ish years. 

19-20 happened, regardless of whether we remember it or not lol

Jack had 78 points in 68 games before the WORLD STOPPED due to Covid. The season itself doesn’t get erased because it’s convenient for a narrative.

Jack finished 10th in scoring league wide (his 2nd top 10 finish as a Sabre.)  Tage finished 15th. It doesn’t matter if you score a kabillion jillion points, what matters is how many you are getting relative to your peers: scoring trends go up and down. Jack in fact scored more relative to the league than Tage did, he had the better season. And that’s JUST points! 

Jack finished 8th in MVP voting league wide: Tage finished 15th. How quickly we forget that the defensive improvement and fantastic 2-way play everyone finally admits Jack has actually started way back in 2019.

Cause it did.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

And finally, if we needed any more compelling, objective proof: As Jack was scoring 78 points, the *next closest on the team* was Sam Reinhart at 50 lol. 50.

Tage had *4* players closer to him than that 28 point gap. His linemates had 12 less, and 15 less, respectably. COMBINED the gap isn’t as great as the 28 between Eichel and Reinhart

It’s not a comparison. Eichel’s season was SIGNIFICANTLY better. One day people will actually admit how poorly we did by this kid. As if he hasn’t already been proven definitively right. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

And finally, if we needed any more compelling, objective proof: As Jack was scoring 78 points, the *next closest on the team* was Sam Reinhart at 50 lol. 50.

Tage had *4* players closer to him than that 28 point gap. His linemates had 12 less, and 15 less, respectably. COMBINED the gap isn’t as great as the 28 between Eichel and Reinhart

It’s not a comparison. Eichel’s season was SIGNIFICANTLY better. One day people will actually admit how poorly we did by this kid. As if he hasn’t already been proven definitively right. 

Honestly the COVID year always slips my mind due to how it ended and the whole convoluted world that occurred afterward. The other thing is that his two-way play didn't kick in consistently until he went to Vegas and got lit up by his coach over some weak backchecking. 

Why would we the fans need to admit anything however? He was a great player who was also a jack-ass; both can be true. Once he signed here for 8 years; he told the fans he'd be here for us and give his all. I don't give one ***** if the Sabres did a bad job with the team while he was here; they weren't abusing him. He had a job to help entertain and fulfill our hopes, asked to leave, then made fun of the fans in his return; karma should of meant he wallowed in garbage his entire career however that never seems to be the case when Buffalo is involved. We get *****, no matter how friendly or considerate we are.

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Honestly the COVID year always slips my mind due to how it ended and the whole convoluted world that occurred afterward. The other thing is that his two-way play didn't kick in consistently until he went to Vegas and got lit up by his coach over some weak backchecking. 

Why would we the fans need to admit anything however? He was a great player who was also a jack-ass; both can be true. Once he signed here for 8 years; he told the fans he'd be here for us and give his all. I don't give one ***** if the Sabres did a bad job with the team while he was here; they weren't abusing him. He had a job to help entertain and fulfill our hopes, asked to leave, then made fun of the fans in his return; karma should of meant he wallowed in garbage his entire career however that never seems to be the case when Buffalo is involved. We get *****, no matter how friendly or considerate we are.

His 2 way play absolutely kicked in in 2019-20. I don’t really know what to say. All the stats, advanced or otherwise, are there. He definitively improved defensively. He was significantly better than Tage was defensively last year. I could get into anecdotal stuff and pull up the various statements on this board lauding Jack for that defensive work in 2019 but why bother. I can’t make you admit he was good defensively that year if you don’t want to 

Jack was a +5 that year on a team with a -22 goal differential lol 

Edited by Thorny

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

This strikes too much of a nerve for you that’s why I’m trying to stick to that stats. “Wallow in garbage” etc.

Your quote here sums it up fine: “I don't give one ***** if the Sabres did a bad job with the team while he was here”

Yes, beyond being strictly relevant to production and this discussion, if that’s not a concern for you in general, we can digress, as the point of disagreement is very clear and irreconcilable 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

His 2 way play absolutely kicked in in 2019-20. I don’t really know what to say. All the stats, advanced or otherwise, are there. He definitively improved defensively. He was significantly better than Tage was defensively last year. I could get into anecdotal stuff and pull up the various statements on this board lauding Jack for that defensive work in 2019 but why bother. I can’t make you admit he was good defensively that year if you don’t want to 

Maybe he was analytically.... I don't remember seeing him play a 200ft game like he does now however. He'd backcheck hard in some games and at other times look like his controller was unplugged. Again that season is a blur to me; all I remember is Botts trading Scandella instead of Risto that previous offseason and then trading for Frolik's ghost and Wayne Simmonds.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

This strikes too much of a nerve for you that’s why I’m trying to stick to that stats. “Wallow in garbage” etc.

Your quote here sums it up fine: “I don't give one ***** if the Sabres did a bad job with the team while he was here”

Yes, if that’s not a concern for you, we can digress as the point of disagreement is very clear and irreconcilable 

Yes, it is a hot button topic for me.

He was my favorite player after he was drafted and I loved his style of long strides and high skill.

My uncles, who worked with the family of Jack's now ex-girlfriend, always told me he was bad egg and was a huge personality issue during the whole ROR vs Eichel saga and I vehemently defended him and felt it was just potential in-laws having issues with their daughter's boyfriend kind of stuff. 

When he asked out I felt betrayed since my uncles had mentioned before he wanted to go somewhere bigger if possible, including even Toronto. 

Then he had those comments after the 1st game here and it more or less made him "persona non grata" and desired all but literal harm on the guy. Thus his success and even time here now just feels like a lie in of itself.

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Maybe he was analytically.... I don't remember seeing him play a 200ft game like he does now however. He'd backcheck hard in some games and at other times look like his controller was unplugged. Again that season is a blur to me; all I remember is Botts trading Scandella instead of Risto that previous offseason and then trading for Frolik's ghost and Wayne Simmonds.

Yes, it is a hot button topic for me.

He was my favorite player after he was drafted and I loved his style of long strides and high skill.

My uncles, who worked with the family of Jack's now ex-girlfriend, always told me he was bad egg and was a huge personality issue during the whole ROR vs Eichel saga and I vehemently defended him and felt it was just potential in-laws having issues with their daughter's boyfriend kind of stuff. 

When he asked out I felt betrayed since my uncles had mentioned before he wanted to go somewhere bigger if possible, including even Toronto. 

Then he had those comments after the 1st game here and it more or less made him "persona non grata" and desired all but literal harm on the guy. Thus his success and even time here now just feels like a lie in of itself.

Fair enough my dude.

I just legitimately believe in the case I feel the stats are presenting. But I’m not trying to take away from the hatred you feel in a sporting sense for the player, that’s the fuel of a fan, that makes the league go round as much as anything. Thank you for saying “all but literal” harm. This place got vile for a year or so. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

What am I missing 😎

IMG_3384.png

IMG_3385.png

The post where I explained what I meant, presumably?

For those who like you incorrectly confuse “higher in scoring” with “most points”.