GDT / Carolina Hurricanes @ Buffalo Sabres, Sunday 6:05pm ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Shoot da Puck

53 minutes ago, Dr K said:

Not "these days." "Comeuppance" has ALWAYS had a negative connotation. "A punishment or fate that someone deserves."

comeuppance Add to list Share

/kəˈməpəns/

IPA guide

Other forms: comeuppances

Comeuppance describes a fate or punishment that's deserved, like when an arrogant trash-talking quarterback fumbles the ball on the last play and loses the game for his team.

Comeuppance began as a term that meant "present oneself for judgment by a tribunal." That was in 1859. You can picture an accused person approaching a judge, or "coming up" to the front of a courtroom. Guilt, innocence — comeuppance can be either, and it can apply to things beyond the justice system. Nowadays you'll most likely hear this word describe something bad. If someone gets a deserved punishment, you'd say "He got his comeuppance."

So UPL, after going through the trial of the Three-Headed Monster™ and the scoffing and scorn of the media and the fan base, has received his reward as being proclaimed the number 1.

Surprisingly entertaining hockey game. I was out so I just finished this on a replay at around 2 am Buffalo time. 

Carolina looked slower than what I saw when they played Florida and maybe they were a little tired (or flat) so I think the longer this would have gone on the better we would have done. Good to see them fight back. Power got to score a goal to make up for his gaff on the first Carolina goal so he comes out even. 

I had no issue with Dahlin crashing into the goalie. It's a 50/50 call from the ref and we would certainly have wanted it called if the jerseys were reversed but that just made it fun for the crowd to actually engage with the rousing chorus of "ref you suck". So the team should see quite clearly, that if you play hard and play with effort the Buffalo crowd comes back to you very quickly. They need to remember that next time they get booed. 

The only Sabre I had an issue with today was Thompson. He is so stuck on his tiny bag of repetitive tricks that just aren't working any more. He needs to change his style sooner than later? Can he? Sure. Will he? I have my doubts. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Disagree.  What did UPL do to deserve the #1 spot early in the season?    KA gave each guy a chance to claim the job, none did until UPL halfway through the season.

The goal wasn’t for the GM to configure a situation wherein we achieved good goaltending half way through the season. The goal was to provide good goaltending for the season. Fail.

Maybe next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The goal wasn’t for the GM to configure a situation wherein we achieved good goaltending half way through the season. The goal was to provide good goaltending for the season. Fail.

Maybe next year. 

Again, you have to play your goalies to see what you have. It's a process you have to go through so you know. That process, or at least this stage, now appears to have come to an end. Not a fail, it was handled correctly and the organization now has clarity on it's goaltending situation going forward. Patience is what is needed with young players, not rash decisions that are mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

25 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Again, you have to play your goalies to see what you have. It's a process you have to go through so you know. That process, or at least this stage, now appears to have come to an end. Not a fail, it was handled correctly and the organization now has clarity on it's goaltending situation going forward. Patience is what is needed with young players, not rash decisions that are mistakes.

Other teams were supplied with good goaltending for their seasons this year. This was Adams 4th season. You could, at best, argue the three headed monster, with two poorly performing goalies, that yielded a good starting goalie output half way through, was the best KA could have done based on the players and scenario he found himself in at the beginning of this season; but *he created the scenario* wherein we entered into a season where playoffs were the base minimum expectation with 3 developing unproven goalies, and no other more reliable option to lean on. 

Im glad he stuck with UPL. I’ll be glad to say Adams provided the team with good goaltending next season when that so transpires. But there’s no rush. If we are measuring Adams’ endeavours by way of the achievement of the goal we all said was necessary, and I honestly don’t see how we can’t, we need to evaluate whether adequate goaltending was provided FOR THIS SEASON and the answer is a definitive “no.”

I am glad we developed a goaltender. But that’s not the same question as whether or not the goaltending was managed well for this season.

Unless you believe that development yet again trumps the results in the now. That’s the central question 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

So what you are really saying is JBot did a great job and should never have been fired. Do I have that right? 🙂

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Other teams were supplied with good goaltending for their seasons this year. This was Adams 4th season. You could, at best, argue the three headed monster, with two poorly performing goalies, that yielded a good starting goalie output half way through, was the best KA could have done based on the players and scenario he found himself in at the beginning of this season; but *he created the scenario* wherein we entered into a season where playoffs were the base minimum expectation with 3 developing unproven goalies, and no other more reliable option to lean on. 

Im glad he stuck with UPL. I’ll be glad to say Adams provided the team with good goaltending next season when that so transpires. But there’s no rush. If we are measuring Adams’ endeavours by way of the achievement of the goal we all said was necessary, and I honestly don’t see how we can’t, we need to evaluate whether adequate goaltending was provided FOR THIS SEASON and the answer is a definitive “no.”

Adams did not stick with UPL, he had no other options after his failed decisions so he rolled the dice on the only goalie prospect he had since his own little prospect wasn't ready and he hadn't brought in a competent veteran. Tossing half a season into the dumpster gets no applause from me, and, as I joked about above, UPL was JBot's draft choice. How's Leinonen doing?

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So what you are really saying is JBot did a great job and should never have been fired. Do I have that right? 🙂

Adams did not stick with UPL, he had no other options after his failed decisions so he rolled the dice on the only goalie prospect he had since his own little prospect wasn't ready and he hadn't brought in a competent veteran. Tossing half a season into the dumpster gets no applause from me, and, as I joked about above, UPL was JBot's draft choice. How's Leinonen doing?

I suppose i should say he gets credit for not dealing him for a draft pick, if that’s a sort of thing you credit. But you have a point 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I suppose i should say he gets credit for not dealing him for a draft pick, if that’s a sort of thing you credit. But you have a point 

The real test now is to see what happens with his contract. 

It's a tricky spot. Goalies are weird and he could easily go right back to sucking next season, so what does Adams pay him when his agent shows what he's doing right now? I do not have an answer to this. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ... said:

comeuppance Add to list Share

/kəˈməpəns/

IPA guide

Other forms: comeuppances

Comeuppance describes a fate or punishment that's deserved, like when an arrogant trash-talking quarterback fumbles the ball on the last play and loses the game for his team.

Comeuppance began as a term that meant "present oneself for judgment by a tribunal." That was in 1859. You can picture an accused person approaching a judge, or "coming up" to the front of a courtroom. Guilt, innocence — comeuppance can be either, and it can apply to things beyond the justice system. Nowadays you'll most likely hear this word describe something bad. If someone gets a deserved punishment, you'd say "He got his comeuppance."

So UPL, after going through the trial of the Three-Headed Monster™ and the scoffing and scorn of the media and the fan base, has received his reward as being proclaimed the number 1.

1859 was 165 years ago.

I gave you an example of "comeuppance" used as a deserved punishment, not a reward, from a movie that is 83 years old, set in the 1870s, 150 years ago.

Edited by Dr K

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Maybe next year. 

I don’t personally disagree with your point. I would just add though that the “goal” you refer to (having good goaltending to start the season) is a bit nebulous. Whose “goal”?  Yours?  Absolutely. Fans in General? For sure. The actual GM?  It doesn’t appear that was his goal, necessarily. Rather, it seems he and his staff were unsure of what they had with their 3 goalies (2 prospects and a journeyman) and were going to roll with 3 and hope at least one emerged. They had their preference, clearly, and he wasn’t ready. 

Just a reminder that the, mostly short-term, goals of us fans don’t necessarily align with the goals of the actual GM or decision makers. 

• Like (+1) 1

UPL is still only 24 and about to turn 25 in March  which is still young for a goaltender- hasn’t even reached his peak potential. I hope the physical leg work he did in the off season will be shared with Levi. And that he continues with that work ethic. After that it was just a matter of confidence.  

Happy to see him performing so well. But great to see this after he had been trashed over and over as “never going to be a good goaltender.” But armchair experts. Just goes to show none of us know what potential is in a player when they are still young. 

In 17 starts since December 23, UPL has given up 4 goals once, 3 goals 3 times, and 2 or less the other 13. Impressive. 

• Like (+1) 5

• spndnchz pinned and unpinned this topic
17 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

UPL is still only 24 and about to turn 25 in March  which is still young for a goaltender- hasn’t even reached his peak potential. I hope the physical leg work he did in the off season will be shared with Levi. And that he continues with that work ethic. After that it was just a matter of confidence.  

Happy to see him performing so well. But great to see this after he had been trashed over and over as “never going to be a good goaltender.” But armchair experts. Just goes to show none of us know what potential is in a player when they are still young. 

In 17 starts since December 23, UPL has given up 4 goals once, 3 goals 3 times, and 2 or less the other 13. Impressive. 

Hope brings TT along... he needs get back to it or whatever he was doing before his child was born.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

The three headed monster worked just fine. You have to play your goaltenders to see what you have and help project what you may have in the future. This year was just part of that process. UPL has matured, Levi is getting minutes now, and we have a dependable backup.

Worked just fine????  Don’t confuse a fortunate outcome with great execution.   Goaltending cost us the playoffs last year and it was terrible for most of this season, until UPL emerged. 

How much knowledge does it take to know that Comrie is an injury prone boarderline #2?
How many 21 year old NCAA goalies make the jump to the NHL after 7 games?

Any normally run team would bring in a vet for insurance and finish your goaltending competition before the season starts. The Sabres had a lackluster off season, a poorly managed training camp and preseason, and they clearly were not ready to take the next step that was promised.  UPLs development is a happy and fortunate side effect of Adams stubborn and slow approach.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • dislike 1

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I've noticed in the last few games he's pulled a maneuver or two that just makes me go... whoa.  It was the setup for today's goal but there was another one earlier.  As JJP and Benson learn what Krebs can do and they get in sync, this could be a really, really good line.

Krebs is an interesting player from a development standpoint. It still hasn't been conclusively proven yet, but it appears that Granato putting Krebs on a line with Okposo and Girgs forced him be more focused on the defensive side of the game rather than a free-floating offensive player. He would have been too much of a defensive liability if he started off his NHL career as primarily an offensive center. In his last few games he has played well. He's also a feisty and rambunctious player that irritates the opposition. There is little bland to his game. He's fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Again, you have to play your goalies to see what you have. It's a process you have to go through so you know. That process, or at least this stage, now appears to have come to an end. Not a fail, it was handled correctly and the organization now has clarity on its goaltending situation going forward. Patience is what is needed with young players, not rash decisions that are mistakes.

I absolutely don’t believe Adams went into the season to evaluate the goalies. I fully believe he planned on having Levi the #1 for the season. That failed miserably. 

DG said something interesting in the post game. He said that the Sabres are the best out I’ve if the best leading after the first, can someone fact check that?

Now he is referring to the past two seasons. That could be since last season they usually had 3 goals already after the first. 

Is that stat true if you just look at this season?

3 hours ago, Dr K said:

1859 was 165 years ago.

I gave you an example of "comeuppance" used as a deserved punishment, not a reward, from a movie that is 83 years old, set in the 1870s, 150 years ago.

Not a wit of this has any bearing on the actual meaning of the word or how it can be used.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Boy, @... is really getting a comeuppance in this thread.  

Funny Animals GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm happy with the win and some hope for the future. 

Stop talking playoffs until next season. They already blew that hope. 

If Adams just sits and makes little to no change again, then he's wanting a new job somewhere else in 2025.  Start acting like an actual GM, instead of handing out 7-8 year deals like candy to current roster players that haven't earned it yet. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.