Sabres’ Refusal to “Salute” Fans Confirmed

That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, Demoted said:

Shouldn't we care more about them winning game instead of some salute?

We should be caring about our playoff position and what player we could add at the deadline.  But it takes competent leadership to get to that level.  

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Everyone with testicles should think of this scene and this scene only when the word obtuse is used.  Get outta here with that triangle *****. 

It took me a couple seconds to even figure out what you were talking about hahah 

Just another embarrassing loss today to a team you absolutely can not lose to. This team deserves EVERY bit of derision directed their way. I was glad to hear some booing at the end of this pathetic game. I’m still amazed people actually spend their hard earned money and devote 3-4 hours to attend these games in person. Watching on tv, no big deal. But you couldn’t pay me enough to actually attend a Sabres game anymore. Gave that crap up four years ago and haven’t had one second thought about the decision since. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

True, but it's a dumb thing.  

Fans, especially Buffalo fans, are too needy. 

When I was going to games with my dad,  and then with my own season tickets,  it was a thrill just to go to games,  I didn't need to be coddled.

Yeah,  times have changed, but for the better? I'm not so sure. 

I think you are missing the point though. It's not about being coddled, it's a sign of respect. It's saying we value you, we will do our best FOR YOU. Tickets are expensive in 2024 and ordinary people have to save up and put their hard earned cash down to treat their son or even daughter and so forth and it's a reasonable expectation to see a team give an effort and earn their money. These millionaires might not actually care, but it's part of their job to at least pretend they care.

But that's not even the main point. The main point is the one you aren't getting. It's not about if the salute is dumb or not, or even needed, it's about the conscious team decision to not do it. That's a F U to the fans and that is just wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Marty said:

Considering their pathetic home record, perhaps when they actually get two points at home the players forget what to do… they do impress me as a fairly dumb group, after all…

Too many nicknames for them to remember 

• Like (+1) 1

This summer has to be a massive overhaul from the top of the organization on down.  

They talk about culture, there needs to be a culture overhaul. 

This can’t be Adams is back, Granato is back, we have switched an assistant coach.

There needs to be a complete overhaul of the philosophy and way they build the team.

New leadership on and off the ice.

If Pegula loves Adams then promote him to President and let him talk to Pegula all the time. Bring in a seasoned GM that has a vision and brings in a seasoned coaching staff that demands accountability.

Okposo, Girgs, Skinner need to go. Skinner will be tricky to move but find a way.

Sink some money into seasoned vets that can still contribute and add grit and leadership.

The most frustrating part is that the bones of a competitive team is here already. I just don’t trust Adams to add the right pieces to push it forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Anyone notice the message on the jumbotron that said something along the lines of "we're here cheering for you"?  Is that something new?  Wasn't paying close enough attention to what it was referring to but they showed it a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This summer has to be a massive overhaul from the top of the organization on down.  

They talk about culture, there needs to be a culture overhaul. 

This can’t be Adams is back, Granato is back, we have switched an assistant coach.

There needs to be a complete overhaul of the philosophy and way they build the team.

New leadership on and off the ice.

If Pegula loves Adams then promote him to President and let him talk to Pegula all the time. Bring in a seasoned GM that has a vision and brings in a seasoned coaching staff that demands accountability.

Okposo, Girgs, Skinner need to go. Skinner will be tricky to move but find a way.

Sink some money into seasoned vets that can still contribute and add grit and leadership.

The most frustrating part is that the bones of a competitive team is here already. I just don’t trust Adams to add the right pieces to push it forward.

They need stability.    They're young and learning... you can't hit the reset button at this point.      If they were an older cap team with veterans, then sure, lets start the rebuild... but that's not the case here.     They spent the last 3-4 years drafting well, developing their core and a quality pipeline of young talent. 

Beware the fury of a patient man.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They need stability.    They're young and learning... you can't hit the reset button at this point.      If they were an older cap team with veterans, then sure, lets start the rebuild... but that's not the case here.     They spent the last 3-4 years drafting well, developing their core and a quality pipeline of young talent. 

This I agree with mostly.

They need several significant changes/additions/upgrades: but at least we are in the spot where THAT is what we need. The GM needs to actually do it, but at least it’s reasonably possible from our standing.

To start a reset would be a huge mistake. Even if we brought in a new GM, which id be fine with, he’d have to be a quick turnaround guy to a certainty. These guys are aplenty: and they aren’t all Tim Murray. Most vet GMs operate in the real NHL ie they don’t believe in the absurdity of 5 year, job security prioritized plans. A guy could come in and say, thanks for the prospect pool, and make the necessary tweaks KA apparently refuses to. Or KA could just do it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This is the kind of embarrassment that TP hates and that has led to him firing GMs in the past.

It also flies in the face of KA's oft-stated theme of re-establishing the bond between the team and the community.

I don't think this gets KA fired but there had better not be many more of these black eyes. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I never said rebuild. Not a tear down at all. They need to move guys out and move others in. If Adams is willing to bring a new, vet coaching staff in then that would be a big start. This group needs structure and accountability.

The young kids need to learn how to play the proper way and the sacrifices needed to be a successful team.

They can’t keep this group and add a couple more kids next season. They need some different vets in here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I never said rebuild. Not a tear down at all. They need to move guys out and move others in. If Adams is willing to bring a new, vet coaching staff in then that would be a big start. This group needs structure and accountability.

The young kids need to learn how to play the proper way and the sacrifices needed to be a successful team.

They can’t keep this group and add a couple more kids next season. They need some different vets in here.

Basically the Philly plan. A few necessary "subtractions" and a few good veteran additions. 

Not a full rebuild, but Skinner has to go. As well as moving on from Girgs and Kyle. Thompson I'm not sure about. The new coach has to figure that one out. I think he can likely be saved but I'd have to know him in the locker room to be certain as to whether his issues can be corrected or not. Same for Mitts. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I agree.  The Pens are your example of an older underperforming cap team. 

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I know.  No blow up needed.   Add a few vets with tread on their tires to help us now.  Get a coach. That’s it!  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheAud said:

This is disturbingly similar to those moving portraits on the walls in the Harry Potter movies.

Imagine having a life like Granato portrait on your wall at home? Scary. 

That is a good idea.

Just now, ... said:

That is a good idea.

Rather, this gives me good, or maybe not so good, ideas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.