Sabres’ Refusal to “Salute” Fans Confirmed

That Aud Smell

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The issue is not the stick salute.

The issue is that the Buffalo Sabres players, decided that they disliked something some fans did. So they want to exact a form of RETRIBUTION, no matter how minor, to get BACK AT the fans. That's the issue, they changed something they did as a form of punishment. Again, the fact it's minor is irrelevant. Actively trying to hurt a fan or their experience is quite frankly pathetic.

The players stopped something to retaliate, that's the issue.

Some players disliked what some fans did. So what! They expressed their displeasure by stop doing some meaningless "stick salute". Big freaking deal!  The players are allowed to express themselves just as fans are. There is nothing disrespectful about stopping a meaningless act that was in reality overdone. If that hurt some fans' feelings then tough. My recommendation to these overly sensitive and whining and sniveling crybabies is stop being a pathetic snowflake and toughen up. If you throw shiiit---then don't cry when it symbolically gets thrown back at you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • dislike 5

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The issue is not the stick salute.

The issue is that the Buffalo Sabres players, decided that they disliked something some fans did. So they want to exact a form of RETRIBUTION, no matter how minor, to get BACK AT the fans. That's the issue, they changed something they did as a form of punishment. Again, the fact it's minor is irrelevant. Actively trying to hurt a fan or their experience is quite frankly pathetic.

The players stopped something to retaliate, that's the issue.

9b799399838c91b585c601407efa3e37.gif

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

9b799399838c91b585c601407efa3e37.gif

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Some players disliked what some fans did. So what! They expressed their displeasure by stop doing some meaningless "stick salute". Big freaking deal!  The players are allowed to express themselves just as fans are. There is nothing disrespectful about stopping a meaningless act that was in reality overdone. If that hurt some fans' feelings then tough. My recommendation to these overly sensitive and whining and sniveling crybabies is stop being a pathetic snowflake and toughen up. If you throw shiiit---then don't cry when it symbolically gets thrown back at you. 

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's not about that 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ibfjlbjzwf18i29r9z

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yikes. 

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So many crybabies. Salutes are dumb anyways... Unless maybe for the end of the year or after a milestone like making the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Excellent comment! 

Now why is that?   

Because several key players who I and maybe some others thought were gonna continue to breakout but have regressed badly. Nobody can deny when the season started that this team seemed loaded. So loaded that we could have weathered the goaltending issues. What happened to all that talent?  To me it has become painfully obvious that at this level you need more than just skill. You need heart (balls) to go along with. KO is one of the few who has balls on this team. Problem is he's  just a dumb hockey player and not good with public relations. Maybe Tage,Jeff,Owen,Dylan,and Jeff will read this thread and dig a little deeper. Stick salute every win is cringy so at least something positive came out of this. I'm not the booing type but I might have a few times this year seeing this team's timidness and disregard for the fans dropping hard earned cash on their product.

P.s. I really wanted to write this at first tongue in cheek.

The Sabres are a terrible team in a terrible city with terrible fans and a terrible owner in a terrible arena with terrible concessions. Blow the whole thing up like the Kensington.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Just win.

If you want to salute or flip off the fans after the game I don't give a *****.... just. *****. win.

I've always watched this team for two things: For the crest, and for RJ.

With RJ sadly gone, only the crest is left. Who the players are, what they do, what they like, don't like, etc means very little to me. 

You said it best. Just win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The post win tradition could be Kyle Okposo walking out to centre ice, sucking a balloon dry of its helium and singing Volare: it’s not the validity of the ceremony itself that represents the changed variable, here. You seem unwilling (not unable) to grasp that what people are taking issue with is the *reason* for the change. I truly don’t understand how you wouldn’t understand that *intent* matters. It matters personally, it matters in a court of law, it always matters: context is always key.

You, nor anyone, was arguing previously for the removal of the salute, nor advocating for its worth. But people are reacting to the *reasons why* the players decided to change it. That’s the new information.

What you are merely doing is being willingly obtuse. “Who cares?” It’s enough to say “people care”. The issue here isn’t that you have to care too: it’s that you are refusing to acknowledge others’ contention isn’t about the tradition itself and its worth in a vacuum. It’s the worst form of debate, where one party won’t even acknowledge the reality of the other side: it’s gaslighting. You gaslight a lot 

Despite my wife's efforts, I've struggled to understand what this term means. This is the best explanation I've heard/read. For that, I thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ownership is the problem folks.  This just isn’t a brand-first enterprise.

In a quality organization, every single employee, from Terry to the players to the Zamboni drivers, would understand and care about what it means to wear the epees.

This ain’t that.

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm sure some of these guys would like to take their talents elsewhere. Jack did it.

I was under the impression our new screening process only allowed for guys who WANT to be here 

18 minutes ago, Hank said:

Despite my wife's efforts, I've struggled to understand what this term means. This is the best explanation I've heard/read. For that, I thank you. 

Honestly just feels weird without the eye-roll. Hit me up with one for old time’s sake 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

This town has a way of beating it out of you. Ask Ryan O'Reilly.

Beatings will continue until morale improves. Each season ticket holder upon season’s end gets to present one chosen member from the organization with one of those pens that slightly shocks you when you click it 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Beatings will continue until morale improves. Each season ticket holder upon season’s end gets to present one chosen member from the organization with one of those pens that slightly shocks you when you click it 

We aren't happy unless we're miserable. I think the Bills prove that.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

And I’m doing so, they actually did something spontaneous. Sign me up. As has been said in here by a few, the real thing the fans give a ***** about is the scoreboard. No one cares about this story if they have something like 15 more points in the season. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

They are employees of a business.

No sane business operates the way you are describing - none.

• Like (+1) 1

If they stop saluting because they feel it means nothing to the fans considering how bad they are, it’s one thing.

If its because the fans called for their coach to be fired, it’s another. It would be a soft reaction from a soft team with a soft coaching staff. 

They can do what they want but should look in the mirror at how easily they get emotionally (and physically) hurt.

Late to the party and want to throw in my two cents.

I have no problem with the team blowing off the post-game salute IF, IF, IF ….  afterward the organizer came forward and said “we heard the chant from some of the fans and disagree with their take. This isn’t on Donnie. Consider the lack of stick raise a form of counter-protest. We support our coach and have his back”. One game and it’s over.

However, if this is, or was intended to, continue then that’s a totally different story. I see it a big FU to the fans.

And if it is the latter, TP or KA as leaders should be publicly addressing it. Crickets. It may be that neither cares. Or want to let it blow over. Or at its worst, are detached and neither understand the temperature of their customers

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.