GDT/ Florida Panthers @ Buffalo Sabres Thurs 7pm MSG-ESPN+ WGR

Shoot da Puck

Harrington:

Panthers v. Sabres

General Manager Bill Zito retooled by signing Oliver Ekman-Larsson (1 year, $2.25 million) and Niko Mikkola (three years, $7.5 million) for the defense, ex-Sabre Evan Rodrigues up front (4 years, $12 million) and Anthony Stolarz (1 year, $1.1 million) to back up in goal, where he dropped his totals to 1.97/.926 with his first shutout with the club.

“They come back to training camp with a belief in what they’re doing,” coach Paul Maurice said of his team Thursday. “It all sounds like we did a nice job coaching, but the fact of the matter is our players came back to training camp this year and pushed themselves harder than the coaches did.

“That’s not a casual statement. We can measure that. We know it. We ran the exact same training camp, exact same drills, exact same duration and we know they worked harder than last year. Part of it is capacity. Most of it is will and determination.”

A stark statement that has relevance to the Sabres, where training camp was not high tempo and returning players didn’t seem to push much in drills or exhibition games. We’ve seen the difference all season.

In addition, Florida’s key players are producing, and Buffalo’s really are not. Old friend Sam Reinhart is second in the league with 39 goals, including a league-high 22 on the power play.

“Incredibly intelligent player,” Maurice said. “I put him in a class of (Hall of Famer) Ron Francis as maybe the two smartest guys that I’ve ever coached. If you want to know what happened in the game, just go ask Sam.”

So many irritating things about that.

Sabres season in a nutshell. These young guys just didn’t put in the work. They didn’t show the hunger. It has seemed evident to me just in their lack of physical development.  That’s on Granato. And one of 3-4 reasons he needs to go. He’s soft. Their soft. They all chose to play soft. 

And look at those sweet deals for the Panthers. I get there is a double advantage. Weather/lifestyle and no state income tax. Which means Buffalo has to pay a premium. Still a premium in those deals? Adams didn’t get it done. 

Still, this team should have been better. They need a tone setting coach and some tone setting players. Okposo needs to be out as captain. And the players need a fire lit under their butts this off season. Get a new coach who has some time and leeway to get after these guys. 

Kudos to Harrington for calling out the players (and coaches, really) for a crap attitude coming into camp. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I have to believe Pegula has checked out, how can there be 0 changes when your team is this terrible at everything? We haven't even got rid of a single assistant coach, nothing?  Adams stated that behind closed doors Pegula is very much involved in all operations and if thats true this is really sad. How do we have 0 changes other than Robinson who never plays? 

Please sell the team. Pegula his a curse!

35 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Hell yeah, let’s chase away @PerreaultForever so we can have even fewer solid posters around here! 

My God I understand taking potshots at the guy because of the Bruins thing, but it’s undeniable he’s a knowledgeable and devoted Sabres fan. It’s every ***** day with this ***** now. 

Yesterday I saw multiple posts celebrating @LGR4GM posting less. There’s posters I’ve been shaking my head at for 15 years. I wouldn’t be happy to see any of them leave. 

Some of you need to grow the hell up. There’s enough of this ***** in every other facet of life. Keep it away from here. 

Seems About Right GIF by GEICO

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Hell yeah, let’s chase away @PerreaultForever so we can have even fewer solid posters around here! 

My God I understand taking potshots at the guy because of the Bruins thing, but it’s undeniable he’s a knowledgeable and devoted Sabres fan. It’s every ***** day with this ***** now. 

Yesterday I saw multiple posts celebrating @LGR4GM posting less. There’s posters I’ve been shaking my head at for 15 years. I wouldn’t be happy to see any of them leave. 

Some of you need to grow the hell up. There’s enough of this ***** in every other facet of life. Keep it away from here. 

Agree. Can't someone be a fan and still be objective? Norcal, please define what you think of as a fan. I've been here since the teams existence and the poster you question is just observing this team pretty much spot on. 

• Agree 2

Well, this thread became unreadable.

Then again, it’s a game day thread.  With the team we have on the ice this season, it’s almost inevitable that game day threads devolve to unreadable.

Carry on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Sabres season in a nutshell. These young guys just didn’t put in the work. They didn’t show the hunger. It has seemed evident to me just in their lack of physical development.  That’s on Granato. And one of 3-4 reasons he needs to go. He’s soft. Their soft. They all chose to play soft. 

And look at those sweet deals for the Panthers. I get there is a double advantage. Weather/lifestyle and no state income tax. Which means Buffalo has to pay a premium. Still a premium in those deals? Adams didn’t get it done. 

Still, this team should have been better. They need a tone setting coach and some tone setting players. Okposo needs to be out as captain. And the players need a fire lit under their butts this off season. Get a new coach who has some time and leeway to get after these guys. 

Kudos to Harrington for calling out the players (and coaches, really) for a crap attitude coming into camp. 

Harrington is just getting around to it now?… Lysowski and Hamilton are just as bad… Buffalo hockey media is laughable.

You, me, and several other posters have been calling for Coach and core player changes months ago.

Pegula watches every game… and leaves the impression he couldn’t care less…

When the Owner doesn’t care, Management doesn’t care… and when both don’t care… Players won’t care… 

Still half a season to play… The boos ringing down on the ice bouncing off empty seats will only get louder.

Who cares?

• Like (+1) 1

Good morning Teammates, Punch checking in , late.   I missed the game.  Took the family out to dinner to celebrate my son’s birthday.   Did not see a minute of the game. 

This thread tells me everything.  

1. Sabres fail to show up at home again - same situation as all season   

2. Sabrespace infighting continues to grow -  this is getting old.  

3. Harringtons comment on Florida’s camp/preseason compared to the Sabres is spot on.  I have said this from the beginning of the season and it is documented many times - This team was not prepared to make a playoff run.  Preseason was a joke that bled into a 3 goalie tryout in the regular season.  Our best players were not ready from the start.   Coaching is not NHL caliber, there is no system, the book is out on how to beat this team.  The losing culture crept back in.  Losing is ok again. 

I am as frustrated as anyone.  Adam’s is staying.  Granato is staying. More prospects will be moving up next year if they cannot make trades and acquisitions the way “normal” teams do.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Norcal said:

I've lived outside of Buffalo for 30 years.

I didn't start rooting for another team because of it and I never will.

Any real Sabres Fan would never root for the Chowdaheads so I think you may be the delusional one. 

Well the first NHL hockey team that I liked was the Boston Bruins.  I saw young Bobby Orr skate circles around everyone and that was it.  The Buffalo Bisons of the AHL were my favorite team,  then the Sabres once they were born in 1970. 

The Sabres became my team and Gil my favorite player but before that the Bruins were.  That was 58 years ago, at times the Sabres and Bruins were rivals and I completely dropped the Bruins of course.  But a little part of me still likes them going back to 1966-67.  

It’s not a crime.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Well, this thread became unreadable.

Then again, it’s a game day thread.  With the team we have on the ice this season, it’s almost inevitable that game day threads devolve to unreadable.

Carry on.

Nat Geo Wild Vulture GIF by Savage Kingdom

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Acting? lmfao. 

I live outside Vancouver. Do you have ANY idea how much it takes to stay a Sabres fan living that far from Buffalo? 

No, I didn't think so.

So keep on not quitting and deluding yourself. I will keep living in reality. 

Unless it runs out of hydrogen first. 

On the first part, I totally get you.  Even when the team is good, you feel weird rooting against your friends and associates.  It must be even more frustrating now.

On you second point, remember that the sun then becomes a red giant and starts burning helium.

3 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Excited Lets Go GIF

this is place for all Sabres fans, good bad, or indifferent. 

the problem with people nowadays is that if you don’t agree with someone’s opinion, they are wrong. Well you all need to understand that opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. Be happy you live in a country where you can express your opinions without repercussions. 

Yep. Recently we saw an opinion called dogsh*t and garbage. One comment came from a piece of gum from under this site's shoe, but the other came from someone, like Lincoln, clothed in immense power. And Quint is gone.

Thanks to Jame for the spot on post.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Recently watched a few of Dons pre and apres game talks to the team. Believe me I’d tune this guy out as well. Reminds me of a politician that always sidesteps the question. They can say so many words that really don’t say anything at all. This is Donnie. I’m sorry because by all accounts he’s a great guy but he is a straight line of emotion. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Recently watched a few of Dons pre and apres game talks to the team. Believe me I’d tune this guy out as well. Reminds me of a politician that always sidesteps the question. They can say so many words that really don’t say anything at all. This is Donnie. I’m sorry because by all accounts he’s a great guy but he is a straight line of emotion. 

Apres? Fancyyyy and maybe schmancyyy.

Yeah it's odd to combine his verve-less personality and circuitous way of talking with his charge to the team: be bold, play direct, go to the net etc.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.