GDT/ Florida Panthers @ Buffalo Sabres Thurs 7pm MSG-ESPN+ WGR

Shoot da Puck

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Good morning Teammates, Punch checking in , late.   I missed the game.  Took the family out to dinner to celebrate my son’s birthday.   Did not see a minute of the game. 

This thread tells me everything.  

1. Sabres fail to show up at home again - same situation as all season   

2. Sabrespace infighting continues to grow -  this is getting old.  

3. Harringtons comment on Florida’s camp/preseason compared to the Sabres is spot on.  I have said this from the beginning of the season and it is documented many times - This team was not prepared to make a playoff run.  Preseason was a joke that bled into a 3 goalie tryout in the regular season.  Our best players were not ready from the start.   Coaching is not NHL caliber, there is no system, the book is out on how to beat this team.  The losing culture crept back in.  Losing is ok again. 

I am as frustrated as anyone.  Adam’s is staying.  Granato is staying. More prospects will be moving up next year if they cannot make trades and acquisitions the way “normal” teams do.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I saw the game and am frustrated by the outcome.  A few comments:

• While Comrie isn't a good NHL goalie, he was good enough to keep the Sabres in the game.  The first goal was not his fault, the second one was bad, the third one was empty net and the last one was beyond garbage time - the game was over.  The bottom line is that he had only given up 2 goals until very late in the game, which was good enough for the Sabres to be in the game.

• The Sabres skated hard and played pretty well for most of the game, but they just couldn't find the back of the next.  They still need more traffic in front of the net.  They make every goalie that doesn't play for the LA Kings look like a Vezina trophy winner.  For most of the game, it wasn't a lack of effort, but it was misguided effort.  They had one power play where they fired the puck at the next and had someone in front of the net (mostly Okposo) and although they didn't score, they had a bunch of chances.  They need more of this every power play and also 5 on 5 when they have possession in the opponents' zone.

• I noticed that the Panthers finished EVERY check.  I realize that it's not 1975 anymore, the game has changed, and not every opponent does this, but I also see that the Panthers are on a great run right now and are up near the top of the league, after winning the Eastern Conference last season.  Maybe there's something to this?  The Sabres, on the other hand RARELY finish a check.  The only player that does this consistently is Erik Johnson, who is a long-time NHL veteran that did not come up through the Sabres system and has only been with the team a short time.  Whenever I see him finish a check, I wonder why the younger guys don't see this and say - "this guy has been in the league a long time and has a Stanley Cup ring - maybe I should try that."  And why the coaches don't tell the players to "watch that guy and do what he does."  It doesn't score goals, but it establishes a competitive mentality that should rub off on other aspects of the game.  It also might force an occasional turnover in the offensive zone that could lead to a goal. 
Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

• While Comrie isn't a good NHL goalie, he was good enough to keep the Sabres in the game.  The first goal was not his fault, the second one was bad, the third one was empty net and the last one was beyond garbage time - the game was over.  The bottom line is that he had only given up 2 goals until very late in the game, which was good enough for the Sabres to be in the game.

• The Sabres skated hard and played pretty well for most of the game, but they just couldn't find the back of the next.  They still need more traffic in front of the net.  They make every goalie that doesn't play for the LA Kings look like a Vezina trophy winner.  For most of the game, it wasn't a lack of effort, but it was misguided effort.  They had one power play where they fired the puck at the next and had someone in front of the net (mostly Okposo) and although they didn't score, they had a bunch of chances.  They need more of this every power play and also 5 on 5 when they have possession in the opponents' zone.

• I noticed that the Panthers finished EVERY check.  I realize that it's not 1975 anymore, the game has changed, and not every opponent does this, but I also see that the Panthers are on a great run right now and are up near the top of the league, after winning the Eastern Conference last season.  Maybe there's something to this?  The Sabres, on the other hand RARELY finish a check.  The only player that does this consistently is Erik Johnson, who is a long-time NHL veteran that did not come up through the Sabres system and has only been with the team a short time.  Whenever I see him finish a check, I wonder why the younger guys don't see this and say - "this guy has been in the league a long time and has a Stanley Cup ring - maybe I should try that."  And why the coaches don't tell the players to "watch that guy and do what he does."  It doesn't score goals, but it establishes a competitive mentality that should rub off on other aspects of the game.  It also might force an occasional turnover in the offensive zone that could lead to a goal. 

It gets the crowd going too. Kind of a virtuous cycle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

It gets the crowd going too. Kind of a virtuous cycle.

Remember the 2021-22 opener vs. Montreal post-COVID? Empty building. Embarrassingly quiet player intros.

Opening shift of the game -- Okposo and Girgensons flew around. They each finished a big check. I think Girgs missed on another check and simply rattled the boards aggressively. The crowd woke up, the team found their legs immediately. The Sabres (not a good team by any stretch) started the season with a throttling of MTL and got to 5-1-1 before the energy wore off. I just looked up the boxscore (Sabres home game, so hit stats are meaningless) but they each were only credited with 1 hit. That's all the team needed to wake up.)

This current team has NO energy line. Not at the start of a game, not at the start of a period. Not when they need to just go stir some bantha fodder up.

On a related note, Skinner is turning back into Krueger-era and pre-Sabres-3rd-liner Skinner. He's completely a passenger. If he were a pest as some want to believe, he'd find other ways to contribute to the game even if his scoring wasn't happening at the moment. But he's not a pest, just a whiny wallflower.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Finishing checks - not every team does this.  Just the good ones and the ones that play as a team to get beyond their individual talent/skill level.  

EJ does it.  Clifton does it.  Zemgus sometimes does it.  Dahlin sometimes does it.  KO sometimes does it.  Tuch sometimes does it.  Cozens and Krebs do it on occasion.  

That is not nearly enough.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Finishing checks - not every team does this.  Just the good ones and the ones that play as a team to get beyond their individual talent/skill level.  

EJ does it.  Clifton does it.  Zemgus sometimes does it.  Dahlin sometimes does it.  KO sometimes does it.  Tuch sometimes does it.  Cozens and Krebs do it on occasion.  

That is not nearly enough.  

You are correct.  Along with EJ, Clifton also does it consistently.  Note that these are both players who came up with other (successful) organizations and have not been with the Sabres very long.  You are also correct that these other guys sometimes do it.  The bottom line is that a team that desperately needs to get things going - the Sabres - should come out in the first period hitting everything that moves and trying to stir up some emotion.  Particularly since falling behind early has been their achilles heel this season.  And particularly at home, where getting the crowd into the game can really inspire a team.  As stated above by a different poster, finishing checks gets the fans into the game, and a rowdy home crowd pumps up the players.  It's a positive cycle.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Is it true that NFL coaches script the first x plays of a game/half?

Is there no such concept in hockey? The Sabres often come out flat. Couldn't this be addressed with a script?

First five minutes... These seven shifts... These lines and d pairs... here's what we're doing. Here's who we're targeting.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

You are correct.  Along with EJ, Clifton also does it consistently.  Note that these are both players who came up with other (successful) organizations and have not been with the Sabres very long.  You are also correct that these other guys sometimes do it.  The bottom line is that a team that desperately needs to get things going - the Sabres - should come out in the first period hitting everything that moves and trying to stir up some emotion.  Particularly since falling behind early has been their achilles heel this season.  And particularly at home, where getting the crowd into the game can really inspire a team.  As stated above by a different poster, finishing checks gets the fans into the game, and a rowdy home crowd pumps up the players.  It's a positive cycle.

Early in the season after our slow start, I recall Paul Hamilton remarking adamantly in an intermission interview… “Hits don’t matter!”

Laughable… It’s no wonder we are soft… 

Regarding the chaos earlier in the thread, I think everyone's a little more on edge because the Sabres are putrid. 

Last year was a mega tease, most people expected playoffs this year. And for the told you so/pessimistic/realist posters, I think even they expected playoffs. 

As fans, you can only say the Sabres stink so many times before you start getting mad at other things/posters. This team is bringing out the worst in posters this year, in my estimation. 

This really does stink. Not a single thing has changed about the team, nothing. Adams did MORE last year but didn't even do much then, either. 

I'd fire Granato yesterday 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it true that NFL coaches script the first x plays of a game/half?

Is there no such concept in hockey? The Sabres often come out flat. Couldn't this be addressed with a script?

First five minutes... These seven shifts... These lines and d pairs... here's what we're doing. Here's who we're targeting.

Yes.  That and get them fired up, get them sweating like a boxer before the opening bell, and get them ready to take a lead.  Especially at home, the mindset  should be we will score early and often.  Our fans will be intense. Then we will strangle your game and score off of your mistakes. 

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Have to believe the team gets a script something like you describe… but the players don’t commit to it 100%… No leadership.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Good morning Teammates, Punch checking in , late.   I missed the game.  Took the family out to dinner to celebrate my son’s birthday.   Did not see a minute of the game. 

This thread tells me everything.  

1. Sabres fail to show up at home again - same situation as all season   

2. Sabrespace infighting continues to grow -  this is getting old.  

3. Harringtons comment on Florida’s camp/preseason compared to the Sabres is spot on.  I have said this from the beginning of the season and it is documented many times - This team was not prepared to make a playoff run.  Preseason was a joke that bled into a 3 goalie tryout in the regular season.  Our best players were not ready from the start.   Coaching is not NHL caliber, there is no system, the book is out on how to beat this team.  The losing culture crept back in.  Losing is ok again. 

I am as frustrated as anyone.  Adam’s is staying.  Granato is staying. More prospects will be moving up next year if they cannot make trades and acquisitions the way “normal” teams do.  

Agree, Adams isnt gonna do anything major. Guys might want out. The fans need to decide if their going support this crap product. 

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

On the first part, I totally get you.  Even when the team is good, you feel weird rooting against your friends and associates.  It must be even more frustrating now.

On you second point, remember that the sun then becomes a red giant and starts burning helium.

Ya, I know. I actually stole that line about the sun from Jon Stewart's Daily Show return. It seemed appropriate for the comment. 

It is hard to be a fan out here and there are very few Sabres fans around. It's pretty much rabid Canucks territory. Some Leafs and Habs for original 6 and a sprinkling of Edmonton and Calgary. Some Kraken. Seen the occasional Flyers jersey for some reason or other. I've seen Detroit and Chicago as well. Bruins, easy. Actually see a fair bit of that. Never seen a Winnipeg or Ottawa jersey out here even though it's Canada.

I have a Sabres jersey in really good condition because I only wear it at home. It's hard enough being a fan. I don't want to have to deal with ridicule from Canucks fans as well. 

When the playoffs start, with the Canucks presumably in them, there will be flags on cars and honking horns and it'll be Canucks everywhere like it was in 2011. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, I know. I actually stole that line about the sun from Jon Stewart's Daily Show return. It seemed appropriate for the comment. 

It is hard to be a fan out here and there are very few Sabres fans around. It's pretty much rabid Canucks territory. Some Leafs and Habs for original 6 and a sprinkling of Edmonton and Calgary. Some Kraken. Seen the occasional Flyers jersey for some reason or other. I've seen Detroit and Chicago as well. Bruins, easy. Actually see a fair bit of that. Never seen a Winnipeg or Ottawa jersey out here even though it's Canada.

I have a Sabres jersey in really good condition because I only wear it at home. It's hard enough being a fan. I don't want to have to deal with ridicule from Canucks fans as well. 

When the playoffs start, with the Canucks presumably in them, there will be flags on cars and honking horns and it'll be Canucks everywhere like it was in 2011. 

This I couldn't ever care about. Loyalty is a big thing for me, in all aspects of life. 

I would gladly wear my Sabres jersey in Ottawa while giving Ottawa fans the middle finger if they say anything to me 

3 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

This I couldn't ever care about. Loyalty is a big thing for me, in all aspects of life. 

I would gladly wear my Sabres jersey in Ottawa while giving Ottawa fans the middle finger if they say anything to me 

Well good for you and when I was younger I used that middle finger a lot too. So much so I think it has arthritis now. 

These days, I'm just not that motivated. I used to get angry with bad drivers. Now I just sigh and roll my eyes. It's just not worth the energy. 

But some days, I do still feel like this:

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well good for you and when I was younger I used that middle finger a lot too. So much so I think it has arthritis now. 

These days, I'm just not that motivated. I used to get angry with bad drivers. Now I just sigh and roll my eyes. It's just not worth the energy. 

But some days, I do still feel like this:

Agreed 

Someday, it will change. The Sabres will make the playoffs 

And I'll be right here when it does. Patience, my friend 

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

that's the problem. You score from in front of the net

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

Agreed 

Someday, it will change. The Sabres will make the playoffs 

And I'll be right here when it does. Patience, my friend 

Patience? idk. I think that's asking too much at this point. I have not quit on them but I am less engaged. I have not missed a game yet this year but I'm definitely paying less attention. It's always the same with this team. It's always next year but they never do the things they need to do. 

13 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Did you see in the very next sentence where it says:

"They still need more traffic in front of the net"?

I assume you did and are in agreement.

it was more of a joke. saying "back of the net" after a goal is annoying and overused. But I'm a grumpy old man so don't listen to me

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/17/2024 at 5:08 AM, nucci said:

it was more of a joke. saying "back of the net" after a goal is annoying and overused. But I'm a grumpy old man so don't listen to me

My sarcasm meter was off when I read your post.  I get it now!  I do agree that a lot of these terms are overused and can be annoying.  I found a couple of articles about these overused hockey phrases:

https://www.bardown.com/top-10-hockey-talk-cliches-1.1551046

https://bardown.com/top-10-hockey-talk-cliches-1.1551046

Good for a few laughs on a Monday morning.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

My sarcasm meter was off when I read your post.  I get it now!  I do agree that a lot of these terms are overused and can be annoying.  I found a couple of articles about these overused hockey phrases:

https://www.bardown.com/top-10-hockey-talk-cliches-1.1551046

https://bardown.com/top-10-hockey-talk-cliches-1.1551046

Good for a few laughs on a Monday morning.

great. Often wonder when analysts say you have to get pucks to the net. Is there any other way to score? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.