Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

With every star player who is a head case and pain in the arse, you weigh the headache vs the production.

I think for Beane it crossed the line into more headache than game changer and he bit the bullet and dealt him away. Just having the dead cap for this year is a big bonus for them moving forward.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

With every star player who is a head case and pain in the arse, you weigh the headache vs the production.

I think for Beane it crossed the line into more headache than game changer and he bit the bullet and dealt him away. Just having the dead cap for this year is a big bonus for them moving forward.

So you guys do take on the 31m ? Man you guys needs to get  Nabers or Harrison Jr i thought you guys traded all that to Houston

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Gotta wonder why the daughter of the O line coach decided to chime in with this gem: 

There is no wondering. He stood out in the field alone after that first kc elimination, he then dropped a sure fire 2 score go ahead late in the 4th this last kc elimination game. Diggs wasn't it, it is what it is 

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

There is no wondering. He stood out in the field alone after that first kc elimination, he then dropped a sure fire 2 score go ahead late in the 4th this last kc elimination game. Diggs wasn't it, it is what it is 

I still have to wonder why the daughter of a coach would choose to add her two cents to the discussion. I don’t recall that ever happening before on any team. Which makes me believe this has far less to do with Diggs’s performance than it does some behind the scenes conflict. 

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So you guys do take on the 31m ? 

I’m not a capologist, but the “dead” cap is essentially the previously restructured contract money & bonus money that has already been paid to Diggs prior to today.  
Turning salary into a bonus allows the Bills to spread out these funds over the length of the contract (including his 2022 extension). So it will reduce the total cap hit at the time, but it still exists today.  

Since it is already in Stef’s pocket, the Bills are on the hook. And calling it “dead” simply means that it applies to the Bills salary cap whether he’s here or not.  And the Bills were cap compliant with this in mind.  This isn’t new money they need to figure out how to deal with (a small portion is, but it’s negligible.  

The Texans are paying Digg’s 2024 salary.  

Thought of one more detail: While the Bills were planning on paying these bonus/restructure monies over the course of the next few years, once Diggs is moved…it becomes due and you cannot amortize it any further into the future. This also depends on how a player is moved (traded or cut) and when.  It can get complicated to follow along. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
Last paragraph
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I still firmly believe that last year wasn't a decline due to his age; it was due to him checking out.  

I think it was both.  I think Diggs as an elite downfield threat has deteriorated, and I think OC Joe Brady brought a new offensive philosophy.  That may have contributed to Stef ‘checking out.’

I also think Diggs route tree could have evolved into a Cole Beasley slot type and he could still be very productive…it wasn’t meant to be here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I wouldn’t have traded Stefon Diggs until after the 2024 season and certainly not to the Houston Texans that are in the AFC conference. The Buffalo Bills have lost too much talent this offseason and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills are 9-8 or 8-9 for the 2024 NFL season with no playoffs. It’s more than just Stefon Diggs the Bills had to release some really good players like Tre White and Jordan Poyer. But I think the Mitch Morse is going to hurt the most potentially he was a reliable center in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

10 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I wouldn’t have traded Stefon Diggs until after the 2024 season and certainly not to the Houston Texans that are in the AFC conference. The Buffalo Bills have lost too much talent this offseason and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills are 9-8 or 8-9 for the 2024 NFL season with no playoffs. It’s more than just Stefon Diggs the Bills had to release some really good players like Tre White and Jordan Poyer. But I think the Mitch Morse is going to hurt the most potentially he was a reliable center in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Once you get nabers all of buffalo will forget about diggs

White , poyer didn't even help Buffalo last year so why would that be a loss

21 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Clearly something was going on in the organization with him or he would still be there correct

There is no doubt in my mind that Diggs forced his way out.  The timing makes zero sense otherwise.

21 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

His play seems to be sliding.

Eye test:  He was finding holes in zones where Allen hit him, but he wasn't making really any great plays, didn't seem to fool guys or blow by guys as much as he did a year or two ago.

Stats:   His last 13 games in a row he didn't exceed 100 yards receiving. In those 13 games, 7 of those 13 games, he didn't even get to 50 yards receiving. 

Age is catching up to him (and if it is, hes not likely to get better next year and likely might get worse) or Allen doesn't want to throw to him as much.  You aren't getting rid of Allen so either of those 2 things are bad.

And the decline in his play, and in his role in the offense, makes it an easier pill to swallow (and BTW he was my favorite guy on the team). 

OTOH, I expect him to be highly motivated and have a good year next year. 

21 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Josh Allen had to sign off, right?
So with that in mind, it was obviously time for Stef to move on.  

Absolutely.

This was posted today by one of the best posters on TSW:

I got told at the end of the 2022 season that the Diggs - Allen relationship had broken down and they were barely on speaking terms. I don't think that was really the reason for the downturn in performance in late 2023 though, because the previous 12 months they had managed to co-exist successfully on the field. 

I think it is a combination of it all. The fact he was no longer best buds with his QB and had the explosive temper moments were sufferable while he was producing at the level he was up to halfway through 2023. Once that production disappeared it was no longer worth the wedge. 

20 hours ago, inkman said:

His production is on the decline.  WR with his skill set typically fall off fast.  I wouldn’t be surprised is he’s the 3rd WR in Houston. 

20 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

If you want to really stretch, Houston gets a guy on the decline, that they either overpay at what? $18m per year? Or the cut him themselves and lost the 2nd rounder they gave up for him.  Maybe not this year, but you could have weakened (slightly) an opponent in the conference for the next few years.

Houston has 2 young stud WRs. 

I don't think it will happen, but it's not impossible that Diggs will find himself unhappy with his role in the offense there.

OTOH, I heard on WGR that if it doesn't work out, Houston can cut him after this coming season with zero cap hit.

12 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I still firmly believe that last year wasn't a decline due to his age; it was due to him checking out.  

Well, I think age has something to do with it, but it sure seems like he was increasingly unhappy and problematic.  Here is another quote from an excellent poster on TSW:

You know what, now is a good time to spill the beans on what I was told earlier this year - In the home Patriots game, Diggs chose to sit out the first drive of the 2nd half because he was upset with Allen's play in the 1st half. It wasn't an injury or part of the game plan. He decided to screw over his team and sit out a drive because he couldn't get over himself.

I suspect other stories like this will come out in the coming days. A couple aren't mine to tell. Guy was a total headcase and a major distraction in more ways than one.

My bottom line on this is that I hate losing a guy who burns the way Diggs does and, like Diggs, who thinks he's a superstar and isn't afraid of anything.  Those guys are essential.  I also think it's not necessarily a bad thing that his relationship with JA had soured (if that is true -- which I believe it is -- in the last couple of seasons I haven't seen the same joy in their interactions that was evident in the prior couple of seasons).  Sometimes, tension within an organization can serve as a competitive/motivating factor and keep people from getting too comfortable -- I kinda think the Sabres need some of that.

Still, sometimes things can get too toxic.  When that happens, an organization needs to take action.  I think that's what happened here.

I sure hope though that there are some other guys who are among their best players and can provide that burning intensity that Diggs has.  I'm not sure who fits that bill.  Maybe they'll draft a WR #1 who can provide both production and fire.

We'll see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

How can removing 100 catch/1000 yards be in the teams best interest if there wasn’t concerns about the diva mentality and the net affect he could have on a team that lost a number of veterans/leaders.

Diggs steadily became irrelevant as 2023 wore on. One thing that caught my attention: Brady asked him to run bubble screens. I've never seen a WR1 less committed to a route than Diggs was to those bubbles. He fumbled on one of those plays against KC in the divisional round. So, his production declined precipitously and he wasn't a fit with what they're trying to do. That's how and why you can remove a guy like that, when they did.

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

Gotta wonder why the daughter of the O line coach decided to chime in with this gem: 

What on earth. Shut the f**k up, lady.

13 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

So you guys do take on the 31m ? Man you guys needs to get  Nabers or Harrison Jr i thought you guys traded all that to Houston

that's not how dead money works in the NFL.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Diggs forced his way out.  The timing makes zero sense otherwise.

This is a great post. I can't bring myself to disagree -- not strongly anyway -- with the sentiment that part of the puzzle here was Diggs' desire to leave (and how he evidences that desire).

As others have stated -- including that Stadium Wall poster you quoted (and fair play to you - I can't/won't sift through the noise over there) -- the bottom line is that Diggs' ability to produce as a WR1 had declined to a point where the engagement was no longer tenable. You abide and endure the other stuff if he's still capable of being a WR1. He isn't. So he's gone. 

That said, if he were a good soldier, then he's possibly (probably?) still here for 2024. This is a change in thought compared to what I posted above (that, even if he were a model citizen, he'd have been dealt now). Because $31M on the books for a guy not on your team is a wallop.  

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is a great post. I can't bring myself to disagree -- not strongly anyway -- with the sentiment that part of the puzzle here was Diggs' desire to leave (and how he evidences that desire).

As others have stated -- including that Stadium Wall poster you quoted (and fair play to you - I can't/won't sift through the noise over there) -- the bottom line is that Diggs' ability to produce as a WR1 had declined to a point where the engagement was no longer tenable. You abide and endure the other stuff if he's still capable of being a WR1. He isn't. So he's gone. 

That said, if he were a good soldier, then he's possibly (probably?) still here for 2024. This is a change in thought compared to what I posted above (that, even if he were a model citizen, he'd have been dealt now). Because $31M on the books for a guy not on your team is a wallop.  

I, too, cannot simply read the threads on TSW for the same reasons you can't.  I've identified 15 or so excellent posters whose content I follow and IMHO is well worth reading for high-quality Bills analysis.

Also, I agree that he'd still be here for next year if he were a good soldier. 

• Like (+1) 1

The dead cap hit was already counted for this season, whether Diggs was here or not. Beane has enough space for the draft choices and a little bit more. Can always redo a deal if needed. With Diggs gone and an out for Von Miller after 2024, that frees up 35 Mil in cap space for 2025. 

The National media is beyond silly with their current clueless hot takes. Social media responses are even worse. Beane is always busy and it's 5 months until kickoff. Many new faces still to come before camp. 

https://theathletic.com/5387835/2024/04/03/stefon-diggs-trade-bills-texans-attitude/

What I find it curious by their absence is any commentary from McDermott or Brady on this matter. I believe they were integral in this whole thing. Diggs wanted out and McD didn't want him on the team any longer IMPO). I can't shake the image from a couple seasons ago of Brady and Josh on the bench during a game looking at the pad together deciphering what the opponent's defense was doing. And Diggs is standing over them flapping his gums at them. Brady must have been thinking, or saying, 'Dude, STFU and go sit down. We're working here.' Brady was the QB coach then. He's the OC now.

The org made a value judgement. And as @That Aud Smell points out that's a hell of a wallop they just took. Hence we now know what the team's value, in totality, on Diggs was.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Night Train said:

The National media is beyond silly with their current clueless hot takes. Social media responses are even worse.

Hear, hear.

Nothing is known, nothing is assured. The Bills will, of course, need to compete to win games. 

The idiocracy out there hive-minding the "WINDOW CLOSED" stuff is just the laziest, dumbest, click-baitingest hooey imaginable. 

Whatever. Those folks have livings to make. Clicks and eyeballs to attract.

And lord don't let me be misunderstood: The Bills may have a down year as they work through this pain. Sheeyit. The  Allen-led Bills may never make it to a Super Bowl. Who the eff knows? @nobody. Actually, strike that. I mean NOBODY knows. The future's not written and can't now be known.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

What I find it curious by their absence is any commentary from McDermott or Brady on this matter. I believe they were integral in this whole thing. Diggs wanted out and McD didn't want him on the team any longer IMPO). I can't shake the image from a couple seasons ago of Brady and Josh on the bench during a game looking at the pad together deciphering what the opponent's defense was doing. And Diggs is standing over them flapping his gums at them. Brady must have been thinking, or saying, 'Dude, STFU and go sit down. We're working here.' Brady was the QB coach then. He's the OC now.

I don't mind McDermott as coach, I guess I kinda like him. I'm not married to the idea of him being here forever, but I never really was ever on the train of firing him, or even thinking about it.  With that said, he is a little strange with the media.  At times its like he is trying to be like Bellichick with giving nothing to the media, but he does it his own way trying at time to be SLIGHLTLY more friendly, but its just, I don't know, it comes across as really strange.

Back onto Diggs, after listening, reading others opinions, and thinking of the trade, I'm really really good with it.  I've posted many times that I want this team to get younger.  Before LAST year I thought the Diggs extension was a mistake, and yes, I did post that I didn't want Vonn Miller at all even when he first arrived, and I think last year was the year to move on from Poyer and Hyde, not this year.  I prefer a younger/more athletic time. I know, sometimes you need veterans, and if I had my way the football or hockey team I put together would always be a bit too young, but that is what I like.   I never liked guys that much who "made their name" with other teams and then were aquired. Yes, your franchise gets attention for that, but for me its just more fun bringing in relative 'unknowns' and having them make their name WITH you....and then I prefer getting rid of players a year too early rather than a year too late.

Plus Diggs, I was never a fan of his social media presense.  Yeah, I know we can ignore it if we want, but just something about me, I prefer guys/players/stars who stay off of Social media (kinda like Josh Allen) rather than guys who 'build their brand' on it, and always need to have some interaction on it. Just me.  To be totally honest, he was a Buffalo Bill but I really didn't like him.

I'm going to look forward to watching a younger (if not as good for a year) team play football this year in the Bills. I"m going to look forward to seeing what moves they make in the offseason.  Next to winning the Superbowl, the Bills are now in position that makes me the MOST interested I can possibly be in them....The team building/team construction aspect is the most fun thing for me as a fan, certainly a lot more fun than just 'running the vets' back out there year after year.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

One last thought (until the next one 😃). There's been speculation about BB moving up a bit to take a WR he likes. I think one of two things will happen. He stays where he is, or even moves down a bit, because there's a guy he knows he can get that they really like. Or he goes big game hunting and moves way up to get a guy they absolutely love. Assuming three QB's go really high as expected I won't be surprised if BB calls his buddy in East Rutherford about pick #6. I just think if he moves up, it won't be a small move up.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't mind McDermott as coach, I guess I kinda like him. I'm not married to the idea of him being here forever, but I never really was ever on the train of firing him, or even thinking about it.  With that said, he is a little strange with the media.  At times its like he is trying to be like Bellichick with giving nothing to the media, but he does it his own way trying at time to be SLIGHLTLY more friendly, but its just, I don't know, it comes across as really strange.

Back onto Diggs, after listening, reading others opinions, and thinking of the trade, I'm really really good with it.  I've posted many times that I want this team to get younger.  Before LAST year I thought the Diggs extension was a mistake, and yes, I did post that I didn't want Vonn Miller at all even when he first arrived, and I think last year was the year to move on from Poyer and Hyde, not this year.  I prefer a younger/more athletic time. I know, sometimes you need veterans, and if I had my way the football or hockey team I put together would always be a bit too young, but that is what I like.   I never liked guys that much who "made their name" with other teams and then were aquired. Yes, your franchise gets attention for that, but for me its just more fun bringing in relative 'unknowns' and having them make their name WITH you....and then I prefer getting rid of players a year too early rather than a year too late.

Plus Diggs, I was never a fan of his social media presense.  Yeah, I know we can ignore it if we want, but just something about me, I prefer guys/players/stars who stay off of Social media (kinda like Josh Allen) rather than guys who 'build their brand' on it, and always need to have some interaction on it. Just me.  To be totally honest, he was a Buffalo Bill but I really didn't like him.

I'm going to look forward to watching a younger (if not as good for a year) team play football this year in the Bills. I"m going to look forward to seeing what moves they make in the offseason.  Next to winning the Superbowl, the Bills are now in position that makes me the MOST interested I can possibly be in them....The team building/team construction aspect is the most fun thing for me as a fan, certainly a lot more fun than just 'running the vets' back out there year after year.

Good stuff. I just think the Miller signing, keeping the safeties, etc., was the Bills 'all in' approach to a championship. And honestly, if the defense had been even relatively healthy last season, the Bills might have won it all. But it didn't happen. So the reset - absolutely not a full rebuild - has begun. And I expect the Bills will be criminally underrated going into next season, which is fine by me.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs gave us four years with very impressive play and he had the stats to show for it.  In the beginning he brought instant credibility, good leadership, a drive to win, and fun.   

We all saw the quirky side to him and his relationship with Josh and others.  This was becoming more of distraction each year.  

He is 30, he was going to be gone next year anyway so Bean took what he could get, and he is taking the cap hit all at once this year. 

Beane could acquire another star WR and extend him next year when Diggs cap hit is gone.  Or he could draft one now.  Or any combination.  

I don't see this as an end of an era.  Just part of a retool, (like Poyer, Tre, Morse, ...). 

Thanks for everything Mr. Diggs and best wishes.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I believe the Tim Graham article spoke volumes. Brady phased him out. 

Here is what I think the reality is with Diggs, he can be/might be a pain for coaches in the locker room, he might be all about himself, but his skills are declining and declining rapidly.

He's supposed to be an "Elite" WR right? making almsot $20 million per year, he better be, but he's not anymore.  He doesn't blow by guys anymore.  The occasions he was open deep, well, he was occasionally, but not nearly as often as he was in the past.  How many times a year did you see him catch a pass in open territory and make a couple guys miss and turn a slant or a curl into a big gain?  I'm not saying he is awful, but he is no longer a game breaker or even a THREAT do do that other teams to have account for.  

THIS is what happens to most WR's when they get over 30 years old.  It just does most of the time, and Diggs is not immune to it. And its NOT going to be better this year than it was last year. Sure, he might put up decent numbers with Houston (and I'm not sure that even will happen), but they may want to show off their 'shiny new toy' and feed him the ball, but he's no longer a game breaker.

As many have said, his stats (and his overall play) declined a LOT over the last year.  Zero 100 yard games in the last 13 games played with the Bills.  Most of those games he didn't even get 50 yards. Basically invisible in the last 3 playoff games the team played. He simply is not a great, or even very good WR anymore.  And if there is one thing that is worse than having a WR who isn't great anymore, its having one that THINKS he is still great when he isn't, and demands to be treated as if he is still great when he isn't anymore.