Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

These are good questions!

I have no real idea how the NFL cap works. I hear all the time that it's "not real." I think that overstates matters a bit. Chickens do eventually come home to roost.

Here's a screenshot of a chart that Pro Football Focus published in late January.

image.thumb.png.a837ba81336212ef24f63b017d6afc4b.png

The first red number is cap space. The second red number is "effective cap space."

The third number is "active cap spending." The fourth number is "dead money."

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-salary-cap-tracker-2024-offseason-free-agency-all-32-nfl-teams-ranked-cap-space

Edited by That Aud Smell

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/buffalo-bills-offseason-needs-2024-brandon-beane-stefon-diggs-nfl/

DT DaQuan Jones, LB Leonard Floyd, DE Jordan Phillips, DE Shaq Lawson, DE A.J. Epenesa, DT Tim Settle, DT Linval Joseph, DT Poona Ford, S Micah Hyde, S Taylor Rapp, and CB Dane Jackson are among the Bills’ unrestricted free agents.

One thing seems certain: The Bills will need to release Tre White. Cap hit of $16M, but dead money of only $4M. Perhaps he'd re-sign here after being released? I'm not sure a restructure would even make sense.

Total bummer, since he's one of my all-time favourite Bills.

• Agree 1

Two of the more accurate mock drafters out there (according to The Huddle Report anyway) - Matthew Jones (Fantasy Pros) and Eddie Brown (San Diego Tribune) - have the Bills going Edge in Round 1, rather than WR. Jones predicts Braswell out of Alabama. Brown predicts Robinson out of Penn State. 

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Two of the more accurate mock drafters out there (according to The Huddle Report anyway) - Matthew Jones (Fantasy Pros) and Eddie Brown (San Diego Tribune) - have the Bills going Edge in Round 1, rather than WR. Jones predicts Braswell out of Alabama. Brown predicts Robinson out of Penn State. 

This draft is so deep at wide receiver. I could see you guys going that way.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This draft is so deep at wide receiver. I could see you guys going that way.

Interesting. I'd heard as well that this draft is just lousy with good WR prospects. I'd presumed that meant that the Bills would look to get big value at the end of Round 1. But maybe it means they feel they can wait until Round 2 or 3. 

I think they should be drafting two of them (WRs), anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well start a new thread for this upcoming season

Media and fans are currently obsessed with getting a WR. They will get one but the crying need as a whole is D. They are short. 

DL and secondary, especially at Safety. 

Beane has a lot of Cap work to do first before FA and the draft. Will be watching. Having 10 draft picks is a good thing this year. 

I am cautiously optimistic. The cap going up somewhat more than expected gives some relief on eventually getting under the cap. I don't think fans' obsession with WR is misplaced. The WR room needs a significant upgrade at the X, and it is a very good draft at the position. They should take one early and another fairly early on day 3.

There are quite a few quality free agents at safety, and traditionally, it is not a position that commands high dollars. They will find someone or two and take one in the draft, as well. The best safeties will go before the Bills' pick in the third, so they would have to use #60 or wait on some decent fellas likely to be there in the mid-rounds.

I hope they wait till day 2 for DL. I think there are a fair number of DTs available, not so great at edge. There aren't too many obvious 1T, which is what we really could use. If Sweat drops to the second, that would be a fit. Keith Randolph, Jr. could develop into one, and you can get him on day 3.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You guys have the perfect opportunity to get young and have cheap contracts on rookie deals Instead of paying a 31 year old  Evans who will hit a wall this season or next 

How Bout Both GIF by Joey Bada$$

Evans would make the Bills a lot better next season, which is all I care about. He will probably be out of the Bills’ price range anyway.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

How Bout Both GIF by Joey Bada$$

Evans would make the Bills a lot better next season, which is all I care about. He will probably be out of the Bills’ price range anyway.

Didn't You learn from Miller? You guys went all in that year Just things happened..

You can't Make that mistake again

First thing before the "What Ifs" ..

I need to see how Beane adjusts some contracts and cuts (maybe trades) others to get the Bills under the cap over the next 2 weeks. 

In other news, mock drafts are beyond silly. Fans fall in love with certain players and fall to pieces when they aren't picked. I have an idea what positions are short on the Bills depth chart. . There's always a few options for every need. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 1

I really want this year to be the 'reset' year for the Bills regarding the cap. I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but play out the Miller deal (dont' extend or push money into the future.) If Diggs isn't long for this team, do what you need to do to minimize the Cap hit starting in 2025.  Make moves for the replacements for anyone over 30 on this roster (not EVERYONE over 30 but many of them). 

With Josh Allen, Cook, 2 decent-good tight ends, your entire offensive line....your offense should still be competitive-to-good at least.  Your Defense?  It may not look good on paper with some moves/cuts...BUT even if you load up on young guys (and Milano is back) it just might be as good, if not BETTER than what you finished with last year.

I'd even look to see if you can get some extra late round picks this year...load up on young guys...competition.  With everything I said above, this team still should compete for a playoff spot, and then starting in 2025 (phase 2 of Josh Allens's career with Buffalo) you can start to compete in the 'cap wars' again.

Plus I'd honestly LIKE a season with lower expectations...but with enough talent still here where they have a chance of beating those expectations.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

And here's how Sal M. with the Rochester newspaper frames the low-hanging fruit of salary cap management. This will be happening imminently, given that the new season starts in a couple of weeks.

The Bills will gain a huge chunk of relief by re-working Allen’s contract. His cap hit will be cut in half - down to about $24 million - by converting almost all of his $23.5 million base salary into a bonus which can then be spread out in the coming years. They could also do restructures with Dawkins, White, Morse, and Johnson to free up space.

The most difficult decisions will be the inevitable cutting of players and among those who would provide the most space are Morse ($8.4 million), White ($6 million), Jordan Poyer ($5.4 million), Deonte Harty ($4.2 million), Nyheim Hines ($4.9 million), Siran Neal ($2.9 million), Reggie Gilliam ($1.9 million), and Sam Martin ($1.2 million).

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2024/02/26/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-situation-2024-worst-in-nfl-heres-why/72743634007/