Craig Berube for Coach

CallawaySabres

20 hours ago, xzy89c1 said:

watched Yzerman whole career. He was clueless in defensive zone till bowman. He focused on it so much he was not scoring for a couple months. Whole team fed off of Yzerman sacrificing offense for D though. Started scoring again as part of team instead of his individual skills. 

Yeah, I was living in Detroit during that period of time... Detroit went from a bubble team when I got there in 1991 to Cup champs just before I left in 1997.  Yzerman was a big part of it.  And goaltending.  And the Russian Five.

Edited by Doohickie
EDIT: And peak Scotty Bowman.
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Peca has one year of NHL assistant coaching experience. NO to him as head coach next season.

My one pipe dream is that Carolina’s owner sticks to his guns and won’t pony up the money for Brindamour and Adams uses their friendship to lure him to Buffalo. Then Rod tells him the actual moves to make to put a competent competitive team on the ice.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Peca has one year of NHL assistant coaching experience. NO to him as head coach next season.

My one pipe dream is that Carolina’s owner sticks to his guns and won’t pony up the money for Brindamour and Adams uses their friendship to lure him to Buffalo. Then Rod tells him the actual moves to make to put a competent competitive team on the ice.

Dre-e-e-e-eam.  Dream, Dream, Dream.

Dre-e-e-e-eam...

May I join you here?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, xzy89c1 said:

watched Yzerman whole career. He was clueless in defensive zone till bowman. He focused on it so much he was not scoring for a couple months. Whole team fed off of Yzerman sacrificing offense for D though. Started scoring again as part of team instead of his individual skills. 

I remember watching channel 50 when I was in college (Cleveland 1983-7; East Lansing 1989-96).  Yzerman made a huge jump in 1986-7 in his positional awareness.  He definitely took it up several notches beyond with Bowman.

As I think about it, your assessment of his teammates' reaction to his willingness to all-out sacrifice offence for defence is spot on.

13 hours ago, inkman said:

I don’t think there is a single chance Michael Peca coaches for the Buffalo Sabres.  Mostly because it’s a good idea but also because he’s seen the tire fire up close and personal.  He knows they don’t have the right players here to win.  

Ya, but he'd also know exactly what's missing, and it's really not that many players. If the GM was on the same page and they made the 3-4 moves needed, Peca could mold the rest in his image. 

Berube is similar and proven so I'd be fine with that as well. Or Gallant. MacLellan I am less excited about but would be willing to try.

My dream scenario is Carolina does not keep Brind'Amour and Kev has his private number. 

Now I personally think it'll be Granato next year and I won't like it, but if they do make the move whoever it is has to someone who demands a work ethic every night and full accountability. No fun times without winning first.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, but he'd also know exactly what's missing, and it's really not that many players. If the GM was on the same page and they made the 3-4 moves needed, Peca could mold the rest in his image. 

Berube is similar and proven so I'd be fine with that as well. Or Gallant. MacLellan I am less excited about but would be willing to try.

My dream scenario is Carolina does not keep Brind'Amour and Kev has his private number. 

Now I personally think it'll be Granato next year and I won't like it, but if they do make the move whoever it is has to someone who demands a work ethic every night and full accountability. No fun times without winning first.

Hey you stole my dream scenario😛

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes.   

This is corrct.  Cup winning experience is very important in players as well as coaches.  The entire Sabres organization has very little playoff experience yet alone cups.  I think Adams in it.  He was dastardly back in 2006, but he turned out okay.

15 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, I was living in Detroit during that period of time... Detroit went from a bubble team when I got there in 1991 to Cup champs just before I left in 1997.  Yzerman was a big part of it.  And goaltending.  And the Russian Five.

You don't say ..

(insert winkie thingie here)

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I would be in board with Berube, McLellan and Brind'Amour as well as Gallant. 

Unfortunatley Pegula owns this team and KA is the current captain, so we have tweedle dee and tweedle dum helping shape us. 

Buckle up, the journey has just started and we're missing a few tires. 

Brindy would be my top choice but we know that is not happening.

• Agree 1

Brind'Amour is the guy who could tell Adams what he needs on the roster and get it.  I don't think the others can change the EEE course that Adams is on.  That might shy Berube away, who lost some vets that he didn't want to lose in St Louis.   Gallant has been out of work for a long time, so he might be more likely to take the job.  

Brind'Amour can wake up the players that have talent but don't show up every night (of which there are many).  They all can do that, but it seems like Brind'Amour has the ability to keep a team focused for a long time.   

Leaving NC for Buffalo is not going to be easy for him and his family.  Terry will have to drill a well to get him.   I think RBA is a pipe dream.  I bet that Granato stays.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

On 2/13/2024 at 4:53 PM, Flashsabre said:

His wife would have to agree to come to Buffalo

Good luck with that.

5 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Anyone got a Simpsons likeness for Brindamour ? His mug looks like the perfect model for the show.

I have to add that he’d be my choice for coach. 

I thought it was obvious.

image.thumb.jpeg.a05a06243ee7af9bb203c3d57524a875.jpeg

image.jpeg.c0178d85d6ca99b53fccff5832d7eab9.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 4

On 2/13/2024 at 10:53 AM, CallawaySabres said:

I just talked to my buddy at the Blues organization and he was saying the Sabres would be crazy not to jump on a the Berube train. He would be the perfect fit for 3 years to whip these idiots into shape and create a work ethic. After 3 years, Buffalo can then grab the coach they want for the Stanley Cup run. Apparently fans were pretty upset when Berube was let go but they just needed a new voice within the lockerroom.  And here we have the worst coach in the NHL talking time and time again about how to handle pressure situations.....ugly stuff.

I don't get this. Berube is gonna make them not be soft? He's gonna teach Power he can play physical in front of the net? He's gonna teach these guys to go to the front of the net?

They all already know this, probably is, most of them don't play that style. No coach is going to turn the softest team in the league into smash mouth hockey. Just doesn't happen.

They need to begin removing some of the soft guys and replacing them with some guys with some bite and sandpaper to their game.

11 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah that might be for "us" people but  they have 40 million to wait for better places 

Brind’Amours wife is very engrained to the community and has always been in Raleigh. I’m with you here. There’s no reason for them to leave. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.