Craig Berube for Coach

CallawaySabres

I just talked to my buddy at the Blues organization and he was saying the Sabres would be crazy not to jump on a the Berube train. He would be the perfect fit for 3 years to whip these idiots into shape and create a work ethic. After 3 years, Buffalo can then grab the coach they want for the Stanley Cup run. Apparently fans were pretty upset when Berube was let go but they just needed a new voice within the lockerroom.  And here we have the worst coach in the NHL talking time and time again about how to handle pressure situations.....ugly stuff.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think that's exactly what they should be looking for.

The guy to get them to the next level, the playoffs.

Berube would be fine. He has what every team covets, a Stanley Cup Championship. 

I'd throw Todd McLellan into the hat too. He took the Oilers to the playoffs for the first time in 11 years back in 2017. 

Both of those guys have taken teams to the playoffs recently.

Granato has not.

I would be in board with Berube, McLellan and Brind'Amour as well as Gallant. 

Unfortunatley Pegula owns this team and KA is the current captain, so we have tweedle dee and tweedle dum helping shape us. 

Buckle up, the journey has just started and we're missing a few tires. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Similar to Bylsma, Cup win with the Pens, let go a few years later.

Totally different people.   Maybe Berube will end up like Byslma, one more shot and done, but he could be worth that shot.   He will certainly change the way they play.   

Berube's GM purged Pietrangelo, ROR, Steen, Schwartz, Perron, Maroon, Fabbri, Barbashev, Dunn and others.  A couple of these guys have won Cups with other teams, and all had enough gas in the tank to help their new teams after leaving the Blues.   

I cant see Berube and Adams seeing eye to eye on things though.  I cant see Gallant and Adams together either.   

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Once upon a time we had Bowman, who won Cups

in Detroit, Yzerman completely changed his game for Bowman to become a relentless 200 foot player in order to win the cup. He struggled for a bit and then became a top 5 player in the league after changing his game which he never was before. He had a lot of points but was incomplete player.

Perrault was Bowman's best player and, well I liked watching him, but his 200 foot game was less than ideal. After watching Yzerman do that I wondered if Perrault could have done same thing...

• Like (+1) 1

sorry for back to back, but i want Peca for next year. I have taken to watching Granato press conferences. He is a complete toe suck to media. Uses their first names, philosophizes to keep them on his side. Media should be all over him at this point. Asking very pointed questions around him saying same thing game after game with no buy in from players. He has no strategy game to game which is why we get killed for first ten minutes., has clearly lost players and has no idea how to fix it. A very bad coach.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

sorry for back to back, but i want Peca for next year. I have taken to watching Granato press conferences. He is a complete toe suck to media. Uses their first names, philosophizes to keep them on his side. Media should be all over him at this point. Asking very pointed questions around him saying same thing game after game with no buy in from players. He has no strategy game to game which is why we get killed for first ten minutes., has clearly lost players and has no idea how to fix it. A very bad coach.

I don’t think there is a single chance Michael Peca coaches for the Buffalo Sabres.  Mostly because it’s a good idea but also because he’s seen the tire fire up close and personal.  He knows they don’t have the right players here to win.  

9 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

in Detroit, Yzerman completely changed his game for Bowman to become a relentless 200 foot player in order to win the cup. He struggled for a bit and then became a top 5 player in the league after changing his game which he never was before. He had a lot of points but was incomplete player.

See also:  Federov.  Bowman even played him at defense for a spell.

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

I think that's exactly what they should be looking for.

The guy to get them to the next level, the playoffs.

Berube would be fine. He has what every team covets, a Stanley Cup Championship. 

I'd throw Todd McLellan into the hat too. He took the Oilers to the playoffs for the first time in 11 years back in 2017. 

Both of those guys have taken teams to the playoffs recently.

Granato has not.

Not the worst idea. A good guy to have in the building in general. 

But considering he proactively tried to work for the org as a senior consultant or whatever and they didn't bring him in. I cannot imagine Kevyn Adams bringing him in as a coach if he doesn't want him as an extra set of eyes and ears. 

I am pretty sure that Kevyn Adams is like a kid wearing his dads suit playing dress up. The dude is just Tom Hanks in BIG. Everyday his number one priority is convincing everybody around him that he knows what he is doing....Which is why hiring a Berube or McLellan will never happen. He would be exposed. 

1 hour ago, xzy89c1 said:

Perrault was Bowman's best player and, well I liked watching him, but his 200 foot game was less than ideal. After watching Yzerman do that I wondered if Perrault could have done same thing...

Perreault was far, far better in his own zone later in his career than most remember, particularly in the 1980's -- but the team around him was more suspect.  Then again, he rose from quite the depths of defencive cluelessness (-39 and -40 in his first 2 seasons).  He was never great at it, but he made a big jump in his defencive play in 1972-3 and again in 1979-80.

Also, Yzerman learnt 2-way play with Gallant under Jacques Demers in 1986-7.  The Red Wings really focused on defence under Demers and then Bowman because their goaltending was unreliable.  Perreault played on a team that took far more risks to create offence.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I don’t think there is a single chance Michael Peca coaches for the Buffalo Sabres.  Mostly because it’s a good idea but also because he’s seen the tire fire up close and personal.  He knows they don’t have the right players here to win.  

They have plenty of good players and they can trade for the right mix, like every other team does - no winning teams are all home grown players.  That ended with free agency and salary cap. 

I think he knows Adams and Pegula and he was around long enough to understand their plan.

33 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Perreault was far, far better in his own zone later in his career than most remember, particularly in the 1980's -- but the team around him was more suspect.  Then again, he rose from quite the depths of defensive cluelessness (-39 and -40 in his first 2 seasons).  He was never great at it, but he made a big jump in his defensive play in 1972-3 and again in 1979-80.

Also, Yzerman learnt 2-way play with Gallant under Jacques Demers in 1986-7.  The Red Wings really focused on defense under Demers and then Bowman because their goaltending was unreliable.  Perreault played on a team that took far more risks to create offence. 

watched Yzerman whole career. He was clueless in defensive zone till bowman. He focused on it so much he was not scoring for a couple months. Whole team fed off of Yzerman sacrificing offense for D though. Started scoring again as part of team instead of his individual skills. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Similar to Bylsma, Cup win with the Pens, let go a few years later.

And it always seems to work out that way with us. Get a cup-winning coach? Bust. Get a former Sabre great? Bust. Get some noob? Bust. What else is left to bust?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

They have plenty of good players and they can trade for the right mix, like every other team does - no winning teams are all home grown players.  That ended with free agency and salary cap. 

I think he knows Adams and Pegula and he was around long enough to understand their plan.

Yeah I think him knowing them won’t exactly help 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.