GDT - 2/10/24 St Louis @ Buffalo - 1pm ABC / ESPN+

inkman

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Keep that one in the bank for when Marchand is hunched over, send his schnozz into the fourth row.

My thoughts exactly...so a high stick is only if it above your waist.   So if a player is down on the ice to block a shot, you can just whack him across the face??  You still have to be in control of your stick..blatant penalty that goes uncalled against the Sabres...I don't care if the PP has been horrible, you still have total that penalty.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

My thoughts exactly...so a high stick is only if it above your waist.   So if a player is down on the ice to block a shot, you can just whack him across the face??  You still have to be in control of your stick..blatant penalty that goes uncalled against the Sabres...I don't care if the PP has been horrible, you still have total that penalty.

If its below the waist and draws blood call it slashing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

A lot of people were arguing on twitter a couple days ago that the Wings were last year’s Sabres, that we shouldn’t be jealous of them. doesn’t really seem that way. They’ve been consistently in a playoff spot all year. Some were even saying they went “all in” to do it. Which seems wrong on several levels. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I mentioned this in regards to the Samuelsson deal, there was almost definitely a strategic element in the way they were dealing out contracts beyond the usual, let’s say “standard” considerations. That deal, the Granato deal, more than objectively bad/good contracts, I think we can at least reasonably all agree they were given strictly before necessary. It’s so apparent, I can only conclude that’s a feature and not a bug. There was some sort of messaging going on with “rewarding” people, it went beyond deserved/earned. Right? And, again, it wasn’t an attempt to capitalize on value, attain some sort of steal: they literally could have waited and not paid more and they knew it.

they wanted this narrative out there about guys wanting to be here. Length of deals proved it. Culture. I mean, we can reasonably infer this happened, right? I’m not saying it’s good, or bad, but maybe if we can all agree on that.. we can begin the dissect the merits of that sort of strategy 

- - -

if, say, Harrington is right, and he won’t can Granato due to length of deal..I mean I might spot a flaw

i dunno tho lol can’t be too sure haha

I get what you’re saying. And I agree with like 95% of it. The difference is there is a difference between players and coaches. 

Granatos extension came after a .457 P% season. That is the 5th worst season of the Pegula era. The only worse seasons were Covid, the tank years, and Phil Housley.

We extended a guy 2 years early who had coached 1 full season. ONE. And that season barely clearly the lowest bar in the league. Donnie didn’t even have a great year by Pegula standards. 

It didn’t make any sense. 

Had the extension come after last season, just a year early, I wouldn’t question it. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I get what you’re saying. And I agree with like 95% of it. The difference is there is a difference between players and coaches. 

Granatos extension came after a .457 P% season. That is the 5th worst season of the Pegula era. The only worse seasons were Covid, the tank years, and Phil Housley.

We extended a guy 2 years early who had coached 1 full season. ONE. And that season barely clearly the lowest bar in the league. Donnie didn’t even have a great year by Pegula standards. 

It didn’t make any sense. 

Had the extension come after last season, just a year early, I wouldn’t question it. 

Gotta be honest, I stopped at “95%”.

Kidding. You make a fair point.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

If I’m a season ticket holder I give them up and tell them you won’t see me back until they finally hire the right people to run this team. 

Yup, I will be doing this. (half-season, 2nd year)  They called last week to check-in on renewal, unfortunately I was on a call and missed it.

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

My side theory is that Pegula thinks he's smart enough to make good hockey decisions, which obviously is delusional on his part.

It's called the Dunning-Krueger effect and it's the same thing marjorie taylor greene suffers from. 

There's no point watching this anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's called the Dunning-Krueger effect and it's the same thing marjorie taylor greene suffers from. 

There's no point watching this anymore. 

Yeah MTG is right off her rocker. It’s shocking how someone like that could get a leadership position. The downside of democracy I guess. Definitely happening with Pegula. 

Edited by Gatorman0519

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Seems like a way to lose a lot of money 

But the Sabres franchise value has done nothing but go up.   He can sell it now and make a fortune (which is a tidy profit for him). 

There is really nothing left to say at this point. I feel numb. No amount of pleading and hoping will make any difference. This season is beyond over. Maybe change will come but I'm not hopeful. Same game, different day. No net front presence. The D gaps are still brutal. At least the playoffs will be fun. 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Kristian said:

Maybe he should stop hiring piss-poor GM’s and he wouldn’t have to?

Or a president of hockey operations that isn’t willing to be a yes man for his wife/management team. When can we stop pretending these hockey doofs ran this team into the ground?  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
Hockey doofs = Pegulas
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Value of the Sabres has skyrocketed under Pegula’s tenure. To your point, perhaps not as much as it would have had we actually been competent…but regardless..

This is a spin. The value of ALL franchises has risen because of the sport itself. Franchises in sports are just escalating everywhere. I suspect the value of the Sabres relative to other franchises is actually the same if not lower. Pegula had nothing to do with it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Another game where we score one goal,…

… awesome.

I don’t care about the high stick call.

***** shoot the puck and score you ***** pussies.

The PP was sad today.

This teams inability to crash the net or clear anybody from in front of theirs is embarrassing. It looks like an outright refusal to do anything but cycle the outside for some BS wrister that we inevitably lose the rebound for. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is a spin. The value of ALL franchises has risen because of the sport itself. Franchises in sports are just escalating everywhere. I suspect the value of the Sabres relative to other franchises is actually the same if not lower. Pegula had nothing to do with it. 

But his wife oversaw a really sweet dressing room overhaul. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Believer said:

Power a non event… Krebs was missing as well at much lower cost… Didn’t really see much from Dahlin or Tuch until the late periods.

Power is turning out to be useless if you ask me.  He doesn't hit, has no shot and consistently fumbles the puck.  He could at least play mean and smash someone but he pulls up and makes no contact.  It's sickening that this team hits nobody.  Power is this generation's Smehlik.  All that size and he doesn't use it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.