GDT - 2/10/24 St Louis @ Buffalo - 1pm ABC / ESPN+

inkman

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

As long as the players are on their way out as well. I don’t want a single one of these heartless losers anywhere near the franchise.  As a matter of fact, just fold the team.  

I have a side theory that Pegula is intentionally running the team into the ground so he can justify selling the Sabres to a buyer who would move them out of town.

I think it’s pretty clear this team is done for another season. Time to make some moves, find some players with term and get them here. Move some of the assets. Change coaching staff. It’s beyond time to shake it up. 

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Mitts played like he was sulking after hearing 32 Thoughts and feeling unloved. Garbage today. 

I’m sure he heard he was being shopped, hard. He had been solid up to the all star break. He didn’t go to Cabo with the boys, maybe something there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

I think it’s pretty clear this team is done for another season. Time to make some moves, find some players with term and get them here. Move some of the assets. Change coaching staff. It’s beyond time to shake it up. 

Sadly I don’t think KA is the guy to do it. I also doubt Terry has neither the brains or the cajones to do whats needed.

Edited by bunomatic
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ... said:

I have a side theory that Pegula is intentionally running the team into the ground so he can justify selling the Sabres to a buyer who would move them out of town.

I have a side theory that Pegula is clueless how to run a hockey team and persistently hires the wrong GM. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ... said:

Seems like a way to lose a lot of money 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

Sadly I don’t think KA is the guy to do it. I also doubt Terry has either the brains or the cajones to do whats needed to be done.

Terry is clueless about hockey.

He wanted his shiny toy, but never bothered to read the instructions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I have a side theory that Pegula is clueless how to run a hockey team and persistently hires the wrong GM. 

My side theory is that Pegula thinks he's smart enough to make good hockey decisions, which obviously is delusional on his part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Ultimately this goes back to LaFontaine. We all know this. Pegula will not hire a hockey guy who says no to him. Hence, inexperienced guys glad for the opportunity and money and willing to be yes men. The minute JBot said no he was shown the door. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Seems like a way to lose a lot of money 

Value of the Sabres has skyrocketed under Pegula’s tenure. To your point, perhaps not as much as it would have had we actually been competent…but regardless..

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He extended Granato.   The guy didn’t win anything and he extended him. 

This is as much in Adams as it is on Terry. It’s maybe the most accurate microcosm of Adams as a GM.

Here is the timeline.

20-21: Interim HC- 9-16-3 (21 pts .375 P%) 
            Named HC. Extended to 23-24
21-22: 32-39-11 (75 pts .453 P%)
            Extended 2 years to 25-26. 
22-23: 42-33-7 (91 pts .555 P%). 
23-24: 22-24-4 (48 pts .480P%)

He extended a coach with 2 years left on his contract who not yet gotten this team to the playoffs for absolutely no reason. 

Just…why?

There is no good reason to extend Granato when we did. None. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Crazy thing is why hire crappy GM’s and coaching staff. When you put a winning product on the ice that will drive up its value. I believe a tough coach along with solid assistant coaches would hopefully put this team on the right track. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

and score a total of 2 goals.   Exciting hockey we have here.

And if we're being honest, they only scored one.

22 minutes ago, ... said:

Atlanta?

24 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Maybe Brandon Beane wants to expand his horizons! 😁

I have some complaints about the Bills staff. But honestly if Beane felt he had a guy in the wings on the football side that was lights out, I wouldn’t mind making him President of Pegula Sports.

Terry trusts him. He already has the no meddling clause in his current contract, and is maybe the only guy who can pry personnel decisions from Terrys old man fingers. I am fairly confident his first move would be to find a real life hockey man and then GTFO out of the way. 

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is as much in Adams as it is on Terry. It’s maybe the most accurate microcosm of Adams as a GM.

Here is the timeline.

20-21: Interim HC- 9-16-3 (21 pts .375 P%) 
            Named HC. Extended to 23-24
21-22: 32-39-11 (75 pts .453 P%)
            Extended 2 years to 25-26. 
22-23: 42-33-7 (91 pts .555 P%). 
23-24: 22-24-4 (48 pts .480P%)

He extended a coach with 2 years left on his contract who not yet gotten this team to the playoffs for absolutely no reason. 

Just…why?

There is no good reason to extend Granato when we did. None. 

I mentioned this in regards to the Samuelsson deal, there was almost definitely a strategic element in the way they were dealing out contracts beyond the usual, let’s say “standard” considerations. That deal, the Granato deal, more than objectively bad/good contracts, I think we can at least reasonably all agree they were given strictly before necessary. It’s so apparent, I can only conclude that’s a feature and not a bug. There was some sort of messaging going on with “rewarding” people, it went beyond deserved/earned. Right? And, again, it wasn’t an attempt to capitalize on value, attain some sort of steal: they literally could have waited and not paid more and they knew it.

they wanted this narrative out there about guys wanting to be here. Length of deals proved it. Culture. I mean, we can reasonably infer this happened, right? I’m not saying it’s good, or bad, but maybe if we can all agree on that.. we can begin the dissect the merits of that sort of strategy 

- - -

if, say, Harrington is right, and he won’t can Granato due to length of deal..I mean I might spot a flaw

i dunno tho lol can’t be too sure haha

lol

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.