GDT: Stars @ Sabres - Tue Feb 6, 2024, 7:00 pm ET MSG, ESPN+ BSSWX ๐Ÿ“บ WGR ๐Ÿ“ป

Spoonman

If this season ends the way it looks like it will is there anyway in the world they can justify bringing Adams and Granato back?ย 

I would like to see this team with a seasoned Coaching staff but with Granatoโ€™s extension beginning I can see them staying staus quo

35 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

This year has been a freaking test in anger management; the Sabres have bad games where you're angry and then you have games like these where they play great and yet lose anyway.

What you are describing is a bad hockey team. Nothing special there, and par for the course. Sabres are just an anomaly cause they do it every yearย 

29 minutes ago, SDS said:

I guess it just depends on the definition of bad. They lost on a fluke goal bad dominated the vast majority of the game, even killing off a couple of five V3. Is that bad? I guess itโ€™s bad because youโ€™re not winning.

The corollary to that would be Dallas was good because they won. They were not good this game.ย 

โ€œThey were not good.โ€

Right, I forgot we got โ€œrosteredโ€ tonight whoops I mean โ€œgoaliedโ€ย 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • dislike 1

30 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

But the thing is, they did play very well. If you follow sports you're aware that sometimes you play well and still lose. It happens. Saying it's just a cliche is just lazy.

ย 

ย 

29 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

No..Lazy is often how we shoot the puck. One goal on 48 shots. Oettinger played well but he wasn't Hasek out there.

Goalies donโ€™t count as part of the roster, are you joking? If that was the case, weโ€™d have seen upgrades at the position over the years. Itโ€™s not actually possible to do that, they are just randomly assigned at the beginning of every game. What saves they make also isnโ€™t dependant of the shooting quality of your forwards. All shots are assuredly created equal.

I mean, if you follow sportsย 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ray/Hamilton were talking about the shots, but also that not one Sabre was noted to be near or in the crease and that the fluke Dallas goal happened because someone was in UPLs grill. They were still unhappy about the perimeter play yet again.

Their record when the other team scores first is abysma still, and this was another game where it happened.ย 

I don't think there is an answer here, I think this team is just flawed and incapable of putting together many complete games.ย 

Itโ€™s not they they didnโ€™t play reasonably, itโ€™s that this is their *best* case result generally, right now. Iโ€™ll say it again: in an 82 game season, bad teams win games. They have games where they play well. A lot of them in fact.

This is just the Monty Hall problem. Game show host opens the one door that tricks you into thinking you are in a better position than you are mathematicallyย 

You need to make a changeย 

just like Monty hallย 

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I don't understand the bolded.

In order to make it, they're going to need to get to about 96 points, which would mean going something in the order of 23-7-2 down the stretch. To do so, their PP would need to be better, the scoring would have to be through the roof, Power would look like he's playing God Mode, and their goalies would have to be hotter than Hasek for over 2 straight months.

In order to make it, they'd be absolutely the most dangerous team "no one wants to play" heading into the playoffs. We'd all be ecstatic.

Iโ€™d be ecstatic if 15 league teams got disqualified for doping and we made it by defaultย 

not kidding.

Just make the damn playoffs already. Itโ€™s the essence of the cultural rotย 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If this season ends the way it looks like it will is there anyway in the world they can justify bringing Adams and Granato back?ย 

I would like to see this team with a seasoned Coaching staff but with Granatoโ€™s extension beginning I can see them staying staus quo

I think Adams should get one mulligan: Iโ€™d keep him for next season. Honestly itโ€™s probably a better-faith experiment if the coach is swapped out, even tho Iโ€™m significantly less anti-Granato than some. They can be back as a tandem, but then Adams forfeits his second coaching hire that Brawndo mentions, obviously.ย 

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Itโ€™s not they they didnโ€™t play reasonably, itโ€™s that this is their *best* case result generally, right now. Iโ€™ll say it again: in an 82 game season, bad teams win games. They have games where they play well. A lot of them in fact.

This is just the Monty Hall problem. Game show host opens the one door that tricks you into thinking you are in a better position than you are mathematicallyย 

You need to make a changeย 

just like Monty hallย 

Some people are posting about the game. Youโ€™re posting about the season. Those are different conversations.

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Some people are posting about the game. Youโ€™re posting about the season. Those are different conversations.

I could be wrong, but I think at least part of the discussion is todayโ€™s result - as far as it pertains to predictiveness going forward -. What Iโ€™m taking is merely a stance against moral victories. They way we lost doesnโ€™t matter. Itโ€™s not reflective because itโ€™s not unusual for bad teams to play like this on the level of occasion we doย 

If none of this is relevant to an active discussion, then Iโ€™m wrongย 

Edited by Thorny

52 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

How is it that we score maybe one lucky goal a season whereas at least 20+ go in on us?

We made Dallas look bad and yet we still lost because of their damn goalie. We should of ran the bastard, play dirty its not like the refs are going to cut you any slack. WTF was both those 5v3 penalties? Felt like the fix was in with that Clifton penalty especially; on the PK how many times have we seen Sabres take blatant crosschecks with no call. Benson got literally dumped twice in the 1sst in front of the net with the puck nowhere near him and they weren't "I'm stronger and taller" falls; they were crosscheck style falls.

Iโ€™m going to say, not many. The Sabres fail to establish a net front presence where a penalty like this would occur. Ever. ย No one on this team regularly sets up in front. ย Not sure itโ€™s coached but it certainly is frustrating.ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I could be wrong, but I think at least part of the discussion is todayโ€™s result - as far as it pertains to predictiveness going forward -. What Iโ€™m taking is merely a stance against moral victories. They way we lost doesnโ€™t matter. Itโ€™s not reflective because itโ€™s not unusual for bad teams to play like this on the level of occasion we doย 

I am part of the some people who are talking about todayโ€™s game and not about the season. so, like I saidโ€ฆ Some people.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Tough loss. ย They played the way they should. ย  Much more effort ย Still started slow again and fell behind.ย 
ย 

They can do more.ย 

Worth noting, we aren't allowed to win 3 games in a row this season. It is in the script.ย 

This one was out of our hands.ย 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

Worth noting, we aren't allowed to win 3 games in a row this season. It is in the script.ย 

This one was out of our hands.ย 

The late penalties hurt. ย 
ย 

More traffic in front of the net would have helped too.ย 

• Like (+1) 1

This team sucks.

It was a pretty good game,โ€ฆ pretty entertaining at times, but Jebus f'n crispy do they play some stupid hockey at times.

In what world of hockey, at any level, is it taught that the right play is to pass up a shot and make a pass through the center of the ice with seven guys in the way of that pass. WTF!

It was a good effort. They just aren't any good. I'm sick of Dahlin acting like he is better than he is, as well. Dude, you've made more money in the past two months than I will in my lifetime, Time to ***** earn it you dandy.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

"dandy" lol, that made me laugh.ย 

Some decent hockey in that game but not enough. Clifton penalty was pretty weak imo but that probably didn't change the outcome.ย 

The thing I really want to know though is what was with Dahlin's stick over the shoulders after the shot in the middle of the game? That just boggled my mind. I do not think I've ever seen that in a game, ever. Before a game or in practice sure, but wtf was he thinking there? Just really weird.ย 

But "dandy" lmfao @SwampDย made me think of this:

ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This team sucks.

It was a pretty good game,โ€ฆ pretty entertaining at times, but Jebus f'n crispy do they play some stupid hockey at times.

In what world of hockey, at any level, is it taught that the right play is to pass up a shot and make a pass through the center of the ice with seven guys in the way of that pass. WTF!

It was a good effort. They just aren't any good. I'm sick of Dahlin acting like he is better than he is, as well. Dude, you've made more money in the past two months than I will in my lifetime, Time to ***** earn it you dandy.

Are you specifically talking about the scoring chances he had?

Their goalie played good positioning. There didnโ€™t seem to be a ton of dangerous shots, people in front of the net, or bang bang plays. Itโ€™s not like he was making 6 highlight reel saves. There is a difference between just getting shots and being creative or crashing the netโ€ฆ the kind of plays needed to beat him.ย 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The thing I notice about this team, and it's primarily because they young, is they all think they can snipe an unscreened goalie from 15-20ft.

They're gonna have to learn that a well placed 80mph shot through a screen from distance is more effective than a 90mph unscreened shot from 15ft.

Take a little off, mix up your placement, and hit your spot.ย  ย Or simply try to generate a rebound for a secondary chance.ย  ย Not as sexy as a laser off the bar, but generally more effective at creating scoring chances.

• Like (+1) 7

4 hours ago, SABRESfan said:

Letโ€™s say they make it.. and obviously lose in the first round. ย Who would feel better about the season?

Me. And theyโ€™d get that monkey off their back. Get a taste of the show. Lose and learn from the experience. Thereโ€™d be so many positive outcomes as a team and as individuals to have that experience.ย 

6 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

But the thing is, they did play very well. If you follow sports you're aware that sometimes you play well and still lose. It happens. Saying it's just a cliche is just lazy.

ย 

13 years, but they did play very well. Gee, I feel better. The bar is so low with this franchise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.