NHL trade deadline 2024: Should Sabres, Kevyn Adams buy, sell or hold?

https://theathletic.com/5244403/2024/02/01/nhl-trade-deadline-2024-buffalo-sabres-kevyn-adams/

Yes, a potential paywall. But an interesting question nonetheless. What should the Sabres do at the deadline?

What got me thinking is what the Sabres could buy with their stable of prospects for teams who might be rebuilding. Or players that might need a change of scenery. From the article:

”The Sabres don’t necessarily need to be within striking distance of the playoffs for Adams to add to the roster. The trade he made for Jordan Greenway at the deadline last season is a good example of the type of deal he could make again. Greenway had term and didn’t cost the Sabres any of their top prospects.” Now let your imagination run wild if top prospects or draft capital were in play.

Should Buffalo sell the likes of EJ, VO, Zemgus, and Captain KO and punt the season? I cannot imagine there’s much to gain in capital short of “doing right by the player.” Not my cup of tea.

Or should they take players with value (Mitts for example), package them with prospects and find hockey trades to balance out the roster in other areas (top four D)? Term remaining would be a must.

Or nothing because they're the youngest team in hockey and the best could be yet to come? It can be fairly stated the ceiling is high on guys like Peterka & Quinn. Tage, Cozens, Dahlin, and Power could easily have better years next year and each are cost controlled for a long time. 

Let’s keep the comments of Meatballs and KA job performance out of this thread. What’s the best step assuming they're both here next year?

KA should buy and sell.

He should move on from RFAs Krebs and Jokiharju at the deadline or in the off-season depending on what the offers are.

He should listen too trade offers for KO, EJ, Girgensons, Jost, Bryson, Comrie, and Stillman.  It really doesn't matter what the return is as long as it's an "asset"

He should then be a buyer.  He needs to find a real 3/4 center, a top 4 D, and at least one upgrade over KO and Girgensons on the 4th line.  The guy has to have some term left on his contract.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Sell ALL pending UFAs and anybody else he thinks is not part of the future or doesn't fit (if there are any buyers)

Buy a player cheap if there's a team that wants to jettison somebody to free up cap space for some other move. Obviously no complete stiffs unless they are pending UFAs too and not unless we get asset(s) back to make it worthwhile, but it should be explored. 

TBH though we have little of value for deadline deals. EJ should get us something and maybe somebody takes Kyle if we retain salary but I suspect that's about it. Teams will call about Greenway and possibly others but there's no need to move them unless the offer is too good to turn down. 

• Agree 2

What we got that teams are interested in is cap space and that we can retain salary. That could give us an opportunity to get a new fourthline upgrade, but probably picks. And that's fine as long as picks we get are used to trade for upgrades, and gives a bigger possibility Adams afford to overpay to get it. We are to far behind to be buyers, a win over Tampa and no injury on Quinn and I would think different.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Hockey trade or bust.

Move to start winning now.  Period.

Yeah I don’t think Adams has a choice this trade deadline.  He better keep his foot on the gas.  This fanbase needs hope not another 6 draft picks.  

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah I don’t think Adams has a choice this trade deadline.  He better keep his foot on the gas.  This fanbase needs hope not another 6 draft picks.  

I disagree, we have to start thinking about our grandkids, is over for us 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, inkman said:

And given the recent feedback in the Amerks threads, I wouldn’t blink an eye at one or two of the current prospects moving out for that hockey trade.

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

I disagree, we have to start thinking about our grandkids, is over for us 

Between the Sabres infinite ineptitude and the Bills having Mahomes firmly planted as the new Brady 🤮, I’ve been resigned to the fact that neither of these teams are winning a chip in my lifetime.  I just don’t see it happening.  

38 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

What is the recent feedback from the Amerks thread? Please and thank you.

Kulich & Rosen are slumping.  There is some signs of life from Neuchev & Novikov but overall the prospects in Rochester are underwhelming.  It’s difficult to follow the trail that Quinn & Peterka blazed through the AHL.  Those guys were all time great AHL players. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Kulich & Rosen are slumping.  There is some signs of life from Neuchev & Novikov but overall the prospects in Rochester are underwhelming.  It’s difficult to follow the trail that Quinn & Peterka blazed through the AHL.  Those guys were all time great AHL players. 

Thank you much for the insight. Time to start trading futures!!!

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

TL:DR

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA should buy and sell.

He should move on from RFAs Krebs and Jokiharju at the deadline or in the off-season depending on what the offers are.

He should listen too trade offers for KO, EJ, Girgensons, Jost, Bryson, Comrie, and Stillman.  It really doesn't matter what the return is as long as it's an "asset"

He should then be a buyer.  He needs to find a real 3/4 center, a top 4 D, and at least one upgrade over KO and Girgensons on the 4th line.  The guy has to have some term left on his contract.  

This is pretty much how I feel too.  Bring in someone that is not a rental that can help us next year and beyond. 

• Like (+1) 1

IF there's pending free agents the Sabres aren't interested in keeping who WANT to test the waters AND teams are interested in trading for them, I'd do it. 

Move em out and move on. 

No more getting the boys back together for another run, at futility.

Get some *****in players in here that want to win now and show it every shift.

Might have to wait till the offseason for that though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1