GDT: Sabres @ Anaheim - Tue Jan 23, 2024, 10:00 pm ET ESPN+ HULU 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

Another Buffalo Sabres losses onto the Los Angeles Kings game Wednesday. There really isn’t much to say when the Sabres only show up for the last 5 minutes of the hockey game. Other than to say major changes need to be made to the Sabres roster especially the top two lines in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

I give credit to Thompson for at least trying to get engaged with some hits and puck carrying after they went down 1-0.

Dahlin played fine, easily our best player tonight.

Kudos to the 4th line who played with energy all night.

UPL stood on his head to keep the score reasonable.

Tuch skated, then got banged up, then skated and got banged up again

Skinner was his usual bad Skinner version, all finesse and little to no attack.

Power needs some confidence and to work non-stop on his shot in the offseason like Dahlin did in his years 2 and 3 offseasons. He has zero trust in his shot and thus will quite literally pass the puck to a Skinner covered by three guys versus shoot it on net.

Overall a god awful game with small positives surrounded by giant negatives.

They better be flying against LA from start to finish tomorrow night. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Agreed not with this current coaching staff or GM. And if you fire both Granato and Adams, you always have the chance that the new regime doesn’t like a lot of these current players (who could blame them) and they blow up the roster which could result in another season or two delay. Honestly we could easily be anywhere from 2-3 years away. 

We could be 2-3 years away if we change or stay the course.  But staying with this coaching staff can’t happen.  It just can’t go another season.  

You could see from the first 3 minutes this team was not going to work hard tonight.  Terrible effort.  

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I give credit to Thompson for at least trying to get engaged with some hits and puck carrying after they went down 1-0.

Dahlin played fine, easily our best player tonight.

Kudos to the 4th line who played with energy all night.

UPL stood on his head to keep the score reasonable.

Tuch skated, then got banged up, then skated and got banged up again

Skinner was his usual bad Skinner version, all finesse and little to no attack.

Power needs some confidence and to work non-stop on his shot in the offseason like Dahlin did in his years 2 and 3 offseasons. He has zero trust in his shot and thus will quite literally pass the puck to a Skinner covered by three guys versus shoot it on net.

Overall a god awful game with small positives surrounded by giant negatives.

They better be flying against LA from start to finish tomorrow night. 

I don’t know Chewy -  thought Tuch was lousy, so was Thompson.   They are a problem right now.  If they don’t go hard and make something happen who will?   

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You could see from the first 3 minutes this team was not going to work hard tonight.  Terrible effort.  

That would be on Granato, Okposo, Dahlin, and Tuch… Leadership failure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

That was without a doubt the worst hockey game (by any teams) that I have seen this year. We looked like a sad sack beaten defeated and totally quit team for 3/4 of the game and then maybe Tage realized he was embarrassing himself in front of his old man and they woke up a little but still, what a truly anemic performance. That was reminiscent of tank hockey. 

Ducks with a depleted line up too. Absolutely pathetic. 

That sort of effort tomorrow and the Kings will put up double digits. 

Honestly, if a mid season performance like that doesn't get somebody fired nothing will. 

• Agree 4

This game gave Harrington an excuse to finally use a phrase I'm sure he's been saving for the right moment. "disgraced the logo" and that does in fact sum it up for me. 

Mittelstadt's comment in the same Buffalo News piece is just wrong on so many levels. Even if what he says might be true, it's just the wrong thing to say. Trade him. The lack of accountability is a disgrace on this team. 

I f'n hate this team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

There's no anger or emotion from the coach, there's no emotion on the team.

Count how many times he shrugs his shoulders. It's a LOT. 

He has completely lost the team. In order to salvage his marketability as any type of coach, KA needs to fire him. Similar to pulling a goalie.

Firing DG is as much the players’ fault as it is his. A number of them should be gone simply as addition by subtraction. I know it won’t happen for various reasons though.

VO

Power (but but but he’s a kid) no, he’s a physically huge adult, professional athlete that plays like a little girl. Refuses to play with any structure.

Joker

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I'm really not sure what to say at this point and I don't think KA will do anything. Maybe when they get back from California but I doubt it. This is truly embarrassing. No heart and no effort. If ever a team needed a kick in the a**, it's this one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Was at the game.  Wow, talk about mailing it in.   The only guys who showed any fight was the Okposo line.   No one else seemed to remotely care about the outcome. 

Two were especially poor, Tuch and Clifton.    Tuch looks like a shell of the player he was last season.   Injured or not, with a stat line of 0 SOG and 1 hit against a bottom feeder, he needs to be moved down the lineup.

Clifton has to be one of the worst FA signings in recent memory.   To fall like that under no pressure and then fail to pick anybody up on the backcheck is an all time play that's now burned into my memory.  

Their two best players (Thompson,Dahlin) are a team worst -10 and -13.    Changes are needed.

Edited by pi2000
  • Agree 3

My wife started saying "there's always next year" sarcastically right from th estart of the year when the Sabres lost and looked awful doing so and of course she's right...always next year.

Me? I am so tired of this that while I tried to defend DG and keep saying that th eteam was young and inexperienced etc etc but truthfully it is time to move on and get a real coaching staff in here before this gets absolutely ugly (or maybe it already has gotten ugly and it wlil only get worse if that is possible)...

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

More cringeworthy... Sabres or Buccigross?

I have to say, the way they talked about the Sabres was cringeworthy.  Trying to decide how much of that is the Sabres themselves being cringeworthy versus the way they approached them.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

There's no anger or emotion from the coach, there's no emotion on the team.

Count how many times he shrugs his shoulders. It's a LOT. 

Granato is a nice guy… A thoughtful, knowledgeable, articulate hockey analyst…

Excels at explanation…

Granato fails as an NHL hockey coach. His team quits too often… Too many top players mail it in without recourse.

It’s on Pegula and Adams to act… Count me among those here tired of saying it.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Sabres fell on their own several times. That kind of sums up one of the worst games i can remember.

One of the goals was a direct result of Clifton toe picking, going down and the Ducks picked up the puck went down and scored.  In a shift a little later, two or maybe even three Sabres inexplicably fell in rapid succession.  I remember Joki was one of them.  Tbh I think I'd rather see Bryson than Joki at this point.

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.