GDT: Sabres @ Pens - Sat. 7 pm ET, Jan 6, 2024 MSG-B, SN-PIT, ESPN+ 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

6 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Sorry late question here. I watched the game but didn’t have sound available. What was the call that gave Pittsburgh an immediate 5 on 3 powerplay? I Cant remember last time I’d seen a team get two different penalties simultaneously. And of course the Penguins score. 

Girgensons pointed out in his postgame presser that the fact that it took Pittsburgh 1:52 to score was huge because the Pens didn't have enough time left to perhaps score a second goal on that same power play.

To be honest, I missed that moment of the game so I didn't see what the penalties were.  The first one was called and before the whistle blew, there was a second penalty.  It sucked, especially because without that, UPL may have gotten a shutout.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Sorry late question here. I watched the game but didn’t have sound available. What was the call that gave Pittsburgh an immediate 5 on 3 powerplay? I Cant remember last time I’d seen a team get two different penalties simultaneously. And of course the Penguins score. 

Girgensons got called for a slash along the boards on the puck carrier.  Clifton got called for interference for a check he threw in the slot with the puck nowhere near.

10 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Girgensons got called for a slash along the boards on the puck carrier.  Clifton got called for interference for a check he threw in the slot with the puck nowhere near.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ... said:

Looks like he: 

Took a hit to the eye.

Has a cold.

Has at least one young child.

He makes close to 5 million dollars a year. Maybe more if he has endorsements or owns side businesses. Do you honestly believe he gets up in the night to change nappies?

He looks like a hockey player. You guys just aren't used to it with this team. They should ALL look like that at this time of the year. 

• Like (+1) 4

Wonder if getting rid of Comrie to Rochester takes pressure off of Levi and UPL and thus the better play? Semed like they were trying too hard when there were three to play good and get the next start? I also wonder if the team like the two-goalie setup bette ras well.

Either way, nice to see them get wins. The NHL is so unpredictable now and Winnipeg of al teams is first overall. Philly doing good. No reason the Sabres canpt get on a roll as well. Mind you most teams are finding it hard tio get on any kind of winning streak.  

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks to UPL. Great game. Just the kind of thing you hoped for when we acquired him.

Very fortunate on the two replays. Easily could have been down 3-1 at one point. And a few posts. Whew. We need some fortunate games every so often but that was easily a loss. However maybe it will build some confidence. 2 in a row!! 

Now comes a big test. Let’s go!

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Thanks to UPL. Great game. Just the kind of thing you hoped for when we acquired him.

Very fortunate on the two replays. Easily could have been down 3-1 at one point. And a few posts. Whew. We need some fortunate games every so often but that was easily a loss. However maybe it will build some confidence. 2 in a row!! 

Now comes a big test. Let’s go!

I wonder if it's ever happened before, a team scores 3 times to tie the other team 1-1?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Damn.  Did you see the post game presser with Tuch?  He looks like hell.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/alex-tuch-postgame-at-pit-6344421133112

I think he looks great.  If any Sabre does not look like that right after a hard faught battle they are not doing it right.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe... still each of those vid replays were legit...

I agree with you that both video replay calls were the right calls. The offside goal was obvious. Although the interference with the goalie call was the right call, it was a close call that frequently doesn't get called. In the hockey world, or sports world for that matter, usually in the long run the calls balance out. You have no choice but to play through them. As you pointed out in your previous post, the Sabres seemed to stabilize after the first period when they seemed to be constantly chasing the Penguins when they had the puck. Dealing with adversity and demonstrating resiliency was one of the more important takeaways in this game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Tuch was wearing an 'A' last night.

Are they going with 3 'A' with the Captain out?  Or is Dahlin wearing a 'C'?

3 A's.  And, as mentioned earlier, all 3 wearing an A scored a goal for them last night.

• Thanks (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that both video replay calls were the right calls. The offside goal was obvious. Although the interference with the goalie call was the right call, it was a close call that frequently doesn't get called. In the hockey world, or sports world for that matter, usually in the long run the calls balance out. You have no choice but to play through them. As you pointed out in your previous post, the Sabres seemed to stabilize after the first period when they seemed to be constantly chasing the Penguins when they had the puck. Dealing with adversity and demonstrating resiliency was one of the more important takeaways in this game. 

Yes, the goalie interference could have gone both ways.   Pens had 4 power plays, including a gifted 5 on 3, they have nothing to complain about.  

The fact that the Sabres held their one goal lead through the second was very good.  That was the period they actually dominated.  We waited for a collapse, but never got one.  Instead they showed resiliency. 

This team dug themselves a big whole.  Now that they are healthy, they have a big challenge to get out of it and into the race.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, the goalie interference could have gone both ways.   Pens had 4 power plays, including a gifted 5 on 3, they have nothing to complain about.  

The fact that the Sabres held their one goal lead through the second was very good.  That was the period they actually dominated.  We waited for a collapse, but never got one.  Instead they showed resiliency. 

This team dug themselves a big whole.  Now that they are healthy, they have a big challenge to get out of it and into the race.  

The Sabres have a chance to get back into a credible playoff chase if they come close to maximizing their point potential in this extended homestand. If they don't seize the opportunity, the rest of the season will lose a lot of meaning. There should be no excuses. The team is relatively healthy; and the recent two games are a good starting point to build from. A big question is whether this team can get enough consistent goaltending. The last two games are encouraging and indicate that the answer is maybe.

• Like (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic
18 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

My New Year’s resolution is to not start watching the game till 9:15. So far the Sabres are winning all Of the games I have done it for. I plan on doing it again today

It works! Sabres are 2-0 when I tune in at 9:15

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, sabresouth said:

The pens had several breakaways and UPL made the saves. You have to have a goalie that can bail out the team. Tonight UPL did that.

Yes. But he only had to stop three instead of a dozen. And the Sabres played extra hard defending their end. Made all the difference.

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is true, but the Sabres still gave up 45 shots on goals including 10 HDC. Sabres lose this game but for the video replays and UPL’s excellent play.  

What is HDC? 

You have criticized the play of our goalies for quite a while. And rightly so. In the last two games, both Levi and UPL played exceptionally well. That should be a reason to be encouraged. Does this very limited body of evidence mean much? I can't say for sure. What I can say is that Levi's play at the end of the last season offered a snippet of good quality goaltending. And it seems to me that over the past few games UPL has upped his game. What does it mean? Just maybe???? we can get adequate goaltending to help this team make a legitimate playoff run like it did last year. 

Did the video replays contribute to our win? Absolutely, it did. But it should be noted that the replays showed that the original calls should have been reversed. Good calls, bad calls, consistent officiating, inconsistent officiating are part of the landscape in all sports. In the end, what caused the outcome means little. It's the outcome that counts.  I'll take the win and walk away with a smile. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.