Someone Tell Me What Owen Power Does Well?!?!

JoeSchmoe

Other than cheating like crazy, I don't see the upside.

Rivet went off on him a few weeks back and I agree. 

Toughness- no

Solid D play- no

PP QB- no

Skating- not really

Shot- hard no

His only claim to fame is cheating and being out of position enough to the point where he ends up with more points than a more responsible defenseman. 

Yes, he's young... But unlike Dahlin, he didnt immediately come into the league.

Given he has a small fraction of Dahlin's skill, he needs to spend more time in the Dan Girardi school of defense (speaking of which, what has he done to help this team?!?!) rather than think he's the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I mentioned this in another thread, but since this one's about him, I'll go into a little more detail of my opinion...

Power played well for a rookie last year. But he wasn't as good as many on this board thought.

Power is playing worse this year than last year. He's more tentative, he's making more mistakes, and last night I saw a couple of major mistakes he made where he kind of didn't hustle or put the effort into make up for them. It was just like... Oh well!

I still think he's going to be good, very good, but it's going to take a couple of years. It usually does with many defensemen. Dahlin, well not playing quite as well as last year is probably still this team's best player but it took him a few years to get to that point and I honestly think Darlene has slightly more talent than Power so it might take power even longer.

The way that this team wants to develop their players is to throw them into the deep end of the pool. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Hindsight, it may have been better to bring in that veteran 29-year-old guy to take 20 minutes a game, and have power play 15 to 16 minutes  That's not what they decided though..

21 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but since this one's about him, I'll go into a little more detail of my opinion...

Power played well for a rookie last year. But he wasn't as good as many on this board thought.

Power is playing worse this year than last year. He's more tentative, he's making more mistakes, and last night I saw a couple of major mistakes he made where he kind of didn't hustle or put the effort into make up for them. It was just like... Oh well!

I still think he's going to be good, very good, but it's going to take a couple of years. It usually does with many defensemen. Dahlin, well not playing quite as well as last year is probably still this team's best player but it took him a few years to get to that point and I honestly think Darlene has slightly more talent than Power so it might take power even longer.

The way that this team wants to develop their players is to throw them into the deep end of the pool. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Hindsight, it may have been better to bring in that veteran 29-year-old guy to take 20 minutes a game, and have power play 15 to 16 minutes  That's not what they decided though..

No,  it isn't. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No,  it isn't. 

Yes, it is. Cozens his second year here Getting minutes against top lines. Dahlin and Power (before Dahlin started playing good)  getting 20 to 25 minutes per game. When they pick a guy....Krebs certainly had no right to be on any NHL roster this early as opposed to a minor league roster for the time that he's been here.... Would have been much better served with a journeyman 28-year-old veteran in his place cuz he simply wasn't ready either .They certainly do throw them in the deep end.

You can pick players in Rochester that they haven't done this with... But certainly there are young guys that they play much earlier than other organizations would.

Maybe it's bad coaching in Rochester, but most of the young guys, at least the forwards, show up in Buffalo and have no clue. Clue positionally where they should be anywhere outside of the offensive zone. That's what they should be learning in Rochester, playing two times a week and watching film. Not up here Learning on the fly while the big club is trying to win games.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

48 minutes ago, nucci said:

It took Dahlin a few years to become a good player. Power will take a while

Agreed. Power shows flashes of ability so when we see that we put that together with his pedigree and say... "That's it. He's here!" With a couple noticeable exceptions, most defensemen can take three to five years... To their mid-20s sometime, before they turn into the player who they're going to be.

Patience. Nobody wants patience but with Power, it's going to take a few more years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Of all years to hold the number one pick…

Of all the players to extend long term he picked Owen Power after just one season.  Next year he gets big money for a long time.  Think that will motivate him?    

$8.35M for 7 years and he is 21 years old until next November.   He could not convince Brett Pesce to sign here, he could have overpaid a vet for 3 years with Power on a prove it bridge contract, but no.  KA likes his prospects.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

There is a reason why he was picked at #1 overall.  He has the best upside and raw talent of the bunch.  He will be fine, but he needs better coaching.  They need to hire a mentor for the young D, especially Power, like the did for the goalers.  What is Lidstrom or Neidermayer doing these days?

• Like (+1) 1

He does nothing well at the moment.  What I would LIKE to see is a recommitment to playing defense first.  When everything you do is not working, then simplify and focus on one thing first, get it better and then maybe broaden your horizons.  IMHO - Power needs to better in his own zone as the first priority.  The question is whether the coaching and/or a partner exists on the team that can help him achieve this.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

There is a reason why he was picked at #1 overall.  He has the best upside and raw talent of the bunch.  He will be fine, but he needs better coaching.  They need to hire a mentor for the young D, especially Power, like the did for the goalers.  What is Lidstrom or Neidermayer doing these days?

Yes, he was tall and it was a weak draft. 

He has best upside of what bunch?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.