Someone Tell Me What Owen Power Does Well?!?!

JoeSchmoe

7 hours ago, ... said:

FWIW, I never said other players should be scared of Power generally, I said they should be scared to engage him. Very different. Let's not play with words to create a straw man. I understand the temptation to go full-Neanderthal when the words "scared" and "aggression" are used - I blame many things including the modern educational system.

Let's knock that straw man down, shall we? How many first round picks have there been over the years who, by the time they were 21, were intimidating to engage? Are you suggesting there have never been players who, by the time they were 21, other, older players were concerned the 21 y/o player would out-maneuver, undress, out-think, out-muscle or simply out-hit them? 

Like I said, a 21 year old needs to earn his respect, it’s not given because of size. Size is implied by the comment I addressed below and the sentence that follows the bold. 

There’s nothing in my comment (or your comment) about skill or ability. It’s a direct response to your sentence “At his size he should scare the offense from coming near him but he's just the opposite: they don't mind engaging with him because they know they'll win the engagement. A guy that size shouldn't be wagging his stick at you from 7ft away. He plays with zero aggression which stands out like a lighthouse on a crag during a stormy night.”

If your comment was about skill and ability, I guess my reading comprehension simply isn’t there. 

9 hours ago, #freejame said:

No self respecting grown man playing in the NHL in his late twenties is going to be intimidated by a 21 year old, yet alone Owen Power. Neither Power nor this team will get any respect on the ice until they claim it in that regard. It wouldn’t matter if they were all 7’ tall and 260 lbs. 

See, it’s right there how you get respect at 21. Go claim it. Thanks for implying that my education wasn’t good enough for your crazy big-brained, high-brow concepts. Your mastery of logically fallacies is second only to  Aristotle. 

Edited by #freejame
I keep coming back to this comment because it’s an actual absurd response that I’m dumbfounded.

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, I tried to tell ppl at the draft that in college Power was not a physical player and I basically was told to shut up. He's not going to be that guy. 

But he’s taaaaalllllllll. Chara was tall are you saying he wasn’t physical? 

41 minutes ago, #freejame said:

But he’s taaaaalllllllll. Chara was tall are you saying he wasn’t physical? 

It’s not that Power isn’t punishing (although I would certainly welcome that).  It is that Power seems to actively avoid contact.  You rarely see him wedge players off at the wall.  He seldom puts a shoulder into a forward in the corner or behind the net.  And he doesn’t engage physically in front of the net.  He is content to defend at arm and stick length.  It seriously limits his effectiveness as a defender.

Would I love to see Pronger 2.0?  You betcha.  But we aren’t even seeing Tony Lydman 2.0.  If he doesn’t learn to use the body he has, he’ll never be the 2nd pairing guy we sorely need.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

So the Sabres have a very tall, 1st round/high draft pick D-man who is also skilled, but doesn't play physically. Has a very good first year at a young age but can't seem to build on that.......is it Owen Power or Tyler Myers we are talkikng about.

• Agree 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

So the Sabres have a very tall, 1st round/high draft pick D-man who is also skilled, but doesn't play physically. Has a very good first year at a young age but can't seem to build on that.......is it Owen Power or Tyler Myers we are talkikng about.

Tyler Myers won a Calder before succumbing to Marfans. Put some respect on his name 

/s

• Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

What I'm saying Cozens and Krebs are at least trying. Sure they're young as you say, but with age and strength respect will come. 

All Power has shown us is that he wants to be a Makar, with a fraction of the skill. If he was true to himself, and showed a little heart, he could be much more effective given the tools (i.e. size) he was born with.

Power is the best player of the three.  You are embarrassing yourself with your attacks on a kid that just turned 21 and is still learning how to be consistent in the NHL.  This board did the same thing to Dahlin, who is now getting Norris votes.   Defensemen take awhile, and for Power he will need help to bring a more physical game.  

Was Adams stupid to pay him big money after just 1 season?   Yes, and Adams also failed to bring in an effective partner for him that can play top 4 minutes

Cozens will continue to develop and will be a very good 2 way player. 

Krebs has no shot, very little offensive upside, and he doesn't scare anyone.  He is is playing a role that is absent on the team, but he is not right for that role.  He better continue to try hard because he is barely good enough to make bottom 5 team in this league.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Nice callback. Didn't think you went that far back here. Did you change your username?

I lurked in the woods for many of years before the sun hit my face. You guys are a scary bunch, I started reading around 2006. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Power is the best player of the three.  You are embarrassing yourself with your attacks on a kid that just turned 21 and is still learning how to be consistent in the NHL.  This board did the same thing to Dahlin, who is now getting Norris votes.   Defensemen take awhile, and for Power he will need help to bring a more physical game.  

Was Adams stupid to pay him big money after just 1 season?   Yes, and Adams also failed to bring in an effective partner for him that can play top 4 minutes

Krebs has no shot, very little offensive upside, and he doesn't scare anyone.  He is is playing a role that is absent on the team, but he is not right for that role.  He better continue to try hard because he is barely good enough to make bottom 5 team in this league.  

When mentioning Krebs and Cozens, I'm talking effort, not skill. That is clear- no embarrassment here.

Power was soft in Michigan- that was well known when we drafted him.  As I mentioned before, Craig Rivet ripped him a new one a few weeks back for his weak defensive play. I don't agree with a lot of what Rivet says, but when it comes to analyzing the defensive play of a young prospect, you or I would be foolish to think we'd know more than he does.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Agreed about Power and Cozens.

I believe there's untapped potential with Krebs.   He's largely been pigeoned holed into a defensive role.     I'd like to see what he can do away from Okposo and Girgensons.    Seems like he's just running around trying to create chaos instead of relying on his instincts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, #freejame said:

Like I said, a 21 year old needs to earn his respect, it’s not given because of size. Size is implied by the comment I addressed below and the sentence that follows the bold.

But apparently not his contract 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Agreed about Power and Cozens.

I believe there's untapped potential with Krebs.   He's largely been pigeoned holed into a defensive role.     I'd like to see what he can do away from Okposo and Girgensons.    Seems like he's just running around trying to create chaos instead of relying on his instincts.

I still think Krebs is a very good passer ... when there is someone to pass to. Wasn't that the prognosis when we got him? Excellent playmaker?

Just now, ska-T Chitown said:

I still think Krebs is a very good passer ... when there is someone to pass to. Wasn't that the prognosis when we got him? Excellent playmaker?

I think the prognosis around sabreland when we got him was “better than Jack Eichel” 

Kidding.

Kind of 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/2/2024 at 10:37 AM, inkman said:

Sounds more like consequences than accountability.  Regardless, you’d be benching Skinner, Power, Dahlin, Cozens, and Tage for whole periods if that’s how you want to run things.  Which would mean more Krebs, Girgs, Okposo, Clifton and Erik Johnson.  Maybe that’s what you want.  

much better players than the ones you named have been held accountable and lost ice time. Only elite player on Sabres is Dahlin. 

When you are held accountable, that means consequences. not sure where confusion is.

8 hours ago, Weave said:

It’s not that Power isn’t punishing (although I would certainly welcome that).  It is that Power seems to actively avoid contact.  You rarely see him wedge players off at the wall.  He seldom puts a shoulder into a forward in the corner or behind the net.  And he doesn’t engage physically in front of the net.  He is content to defend at arm and stick length.  It seriously limits his effectiveness as a defender.

Would I love to see Pronger 2.0?  You betcha.  But we aren’t even seeing Tony Lydman 2.0.  If he doesn’t learn to use the body he has, he’ll never be the 2nd pairing guy we sorely need.

he is a VERY SOFT player. Looks physically weak out there. Coaching him to show the effort needed of a dman is part of it. his play this year is worthy of being a healthy scratch for a couple games. bad passing, low effort, out of position in dzone.... fits right in with others besides Dahlin.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

When mentioning Krebs and Cozens, I'm talking effort, not skill. That is clear- no embarrassment here.

Power was soft in Michigan- that was well known when we drafted him.  As I mentioned before, Craig Rivet ripped him a new one a few weeks back for his weak defensive play. I don't agree with a lot of what Rivet says, but when it comes to analyzing the defensive play of a young prospect, you or I would be foolish to think we'd know more than he does.

Rivet acts like a clown and his comments are usually not very insightful.   I don’t care about Rivet, I care about Power.  

I want to coach him up.  I don’t know what to do to toughen him up. The old school tactics are frowned upon.  

Dahlin got tired of getting pushed around and decided to push back.  I guess Power has to do the same, or decide on how his wants he career to unfold.     Probably should not have made him rich for life at 20.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.