GDT: Leafs @ Sabres - Thu. 7 pm ET, Dec 21, 2023, MSG-B 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

I love it when they beat the Leafs and I knew they could. We do very well when we play teams that like to play the same way as we do and they let us play our way. You just need a little effort, which they had, and you can run right over them.

Some horrific goaltending on display, fortunately most of it on the Toronto end. So glad the game turned and they stopped talking about how great Matthews is. That was getting nauseating (Sportsnet feed). I don't know much about that Gregor guy on the Leafs, but he is absolutely terrible. If that's his usual game he does not belong in the NHL. 

Now this was fun, and I'm sure Pegula feels he got a good dose of what he wants, but don't be fooled, this only works when we play another team similar to us that fails to play defense and lets us play the way we want. Against most teams, this will not work the same. But this was fun all the same, no question. 

• Like (+1) 2

One Buffalo Sabres win hasn’t changed my mind that the Sabres are underachievers. This game is actually an example why Don Granato needs to be fired. Because the talent is there on the Sabres Don Granato just doesn’t have the answers to get the Sabres to play consistently every game in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

32 minutes ago, TheAud said:

Sabres forward with highest TOI at even strength tonight?

Zach Benson

Dude is a stud.

33 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Need a lip reading 

I saw several Fs and Ks.  But what the exact words were is hard to tell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Is it true we are 6th in 5v5 scoring? That would make me think it’s more on our Powerplay being broken. Regardless I’d rather them play open and try to win like last year. After all they have a slightly better group in 2 way play with Good Greenway and Benson now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Unfortunately, I have been moving in this direction for a while now. Wanted Donny to be the guy, but there is obviously something missing with him and his staff. Not to mention, firing him could be the wakeup call these immature, talented a-holes need.

I disagree with this. Again, they have a very young team - they're talented, but it can take a while for the coaching to really kick in for the consistency. Back-back games like this can be one of those big learning moments. I can see the team playing better from here, even if we don't quite get to the playoffs again. This coaching staff can get us there for the long term as long as management doesn't listen to the long-suffering, but panicking fans.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He certainly has not lost the room 

Facing ECHL level goaltending helped. If they care about the guy they need to stop mailing it in on a regular basis. They obviously won't win every night, but there's no excuse for being as dog water as they have been on more than few occasions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Family is staying with us for the holiday so I put the game on in the other room and popped back in and out. Every couple of minutes. In total I probably got 60-70% of the game but it was roughy to pick up the flow. 

Fun game. Obviously better play. 

One wild stat. We scored 9 goals, only 4 skaters failed to register a single point. Samuelson, VO, EJ, and Cozens. Samuelson gets extra points for being negative in the plus minus. 

3 of those players have been catching a lot of flack to be benched or traded. 

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just speed watched the game. Of course they were going to hang 9 on the Leafs. 😂

Can we all chip in to send Ilya Samsonov an Edible Arrangement?

Despite the win, they are still terrible in their end. They won't turn things around until they fix that.

I'd like our chances to outscore teams enough to win more than we lose. It happened last year and we would have made the playoffs if they didn't puke all over themselves at home.

Edited by Big Guava

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.