In December and your team is failing - Adams Do Something Substantive Already!

GASabresIUFAN

IMHO you can’t trade for heart and toughness and determination in the middle of a season and expect a major turnaround.

But you can find a coach who emphasizes those qualities and brings them out of the players.

I would love for DM to prove that he’s the guy but every week that goes by where the Sabres are simply not competitive in at least half the games makes me more skeptical that he can do so.  

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

And that accountability needs to start at the top with ownership.  It’s high time that winning actually became the number one organizational goal.  Not just “sustained winning over many years” but actually winning NOW.  Start winning now and then work towards sustaining it.

This franchise punishes its fans.

Terry is not interested in winning a championship with either team.  He wants PSE to have “sustained” profits, and teams that are “stable” with a bunch of nice culture guys.

Edited by COSabreFan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's a lot easier to stomach once you come to the realization that for this franchise winning isn't as important as relationships.

The guys on the team all get along really well, they're all getting paid now and Granato doesn't hold them accountable for poor performances.   They're on easy street.   So why would they want to change anything?

It's OK to lose as long as everyone is enjoying each other's company.

That mentality has trickled down the organization.   The only way that changes is if somebody decides it's not OK to lose... and that starts by holding folks accountable, not just players or coaches.

I agree with all of this.

Case in point, we had a chance to get into the playoffs last season, the only move Kevyn Adams made was Jordan Greenway, even after a few injuried we could have tried to get a defensive defensemen ( a few were traded at the deadline) or even a better bottom 6 but they didn't want to bring in outsiders to hurt the kids or ruin chemistry. There is 0 accountability for bad play and there has been alot of it this season (Power/Cozens) come to mind the most. 

Bring in Gallant, make him the highest paid head coach, these kids needa fire lit under them now. They look sloppy, slow and just clueless at times.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, COSabreFan said:

Terry is not interested in winning a championship win either team.  We wants PSE to have “sustained” profits, and teams that are “stable” with a bunch of nice culture guys.

This feels so surprising since Terry supposedly loves hockey and gave money to Penn State for their hockey program.  For someone who has been so successful in life, hard to imagine he wants to just settle for mediocrity.

We have to face some facts.

1. Until GMKA is willing to move one of his prizes prospects, there will be no significant help coming in via trade.

2. Until GMKA is willing to overpay on term and dollars, significant help is not coming in FA.

3. If HCDG has not been as good developing Quinn and Peterka when they were thrust onto the roster 1 year too early, GMKA would not have been so blase about promoting other prospects over signing cheaper veterans.

4. Until HCDG benches a sacred cow for an entire period, there is unlikely to be a lot of accountability on the roster.

5. It seems that the only way many of these players will learn ensemble defence is if HCDG really pushes it hard over the transition offence.  It is not a good sign that Jeff Skinner is one of the more responsible back-checkers of the forwards.

6. We now have concrete evidence that you need solid veterans to block the youngsters until they force their way onto the team in training camp.

Now, per my uname, I am feeling very depressed.  I have this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side.

• Thanks (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, steveoat87 said:

This feels so surprising since Terry supposedly loves hockey and gave money to Penn State for their hockey program.  For someone who has been so successful in life, hard to imagine he wants to just settle for mediocrity.

His definition of success is not wins and championships, it’s sustained profits for himself and his family.  I’m sure he considers himself successful, he doesn’t need or partially care if championships are a part of that portfolio.

Edited by COSabreFan

2 hours ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Hmmmmm another kool-aid drinker or one that had only been a fan one year.... no offense. I think it is called reality for those of us day one fans. Every year is groundhog year, same problems no fixing until a half ass attempt when it is too late. 

I was making a joke. 

2 hours ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Last 3 years??? Can you remember the last time buffalo was proactive And fixed a problem???

It is hard to have an engaging/serious conversation with you when you post like this. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Issues:

1) Continued bad goaltending - 12 goals allowed in the last two games.  The combo of Comrie and Levi allowed 7 goals 4 games ago against NJ helping Levi earn his demotion to the AHL.

2) Failing forward group - Yes there are a couple of injuries, but only one relevant one and that's to TNT.  The truth is the group with few exceptions (Mitts and Tuch) don't back check.  The team, outside of the Rangers game, isn't attacking with speed like they did last year.  This team's forward depth is also a problem.  The effective 4th line from last year has been awful all year.  Jost adds nothing.  VO has had 4 good games, the rest not to much.  Greenway looks distracted and uninterested.    All this has sent the forward depth into the crapper.  Adding an undersized and physically lacking 18 year old is not adding quality depth at this point even if he occasionally makes a spectacular play.

3) Coaching - The message has been lost on the players since they aren't executing what they did well last year (Scoring and PP) and aren't improving on what they did poorly last year (Back checking).  

How do you start to fix this mess?  It's going to take at least 3 acquisitions

1) Go get a legit 2 way 3rd line center.  

2) Get another physical forward for the energy line

3) Get a real goalie

While the goalie need is obvious, the center need is less apparent.  TNT and Mitts are the top 2 centers.  Cozens is having a terrible time recovering his game after his injury and has become a liability in the middle.  Get a center who can win a draw, contribute some offense and allow Cozens to move to wing and we'll be much better off. 

The lineup could eventually look like with

Skinner TNT Quinn

JJP Mitts Tuch

Benson ???? Cozens

Greenway Krebs ???? (KO)

Two center ideas - Adam Henrique and Sean Monahan - both are pending UFAs, both are vets, both are good in the PF circle and both can still add some O. Ana would have to eat 40% of Henrique's contract. I also think some like Cal Clutterbuck would be a good depth option.   

The only goalie options I see aren't great in Reimar and Allen, and both are in division.  

Goalie just isn't going to happen barring Nashville deciding to actually deal Saros; other options are akin to shuffling deck chairs at a price.

Henrique is a great thought but doesn't fit your desire for a two way center; guy has always been a softer energy/skill player. Monahan is actually very similar to Henrique only he's locked behind the division wall.

Clutterbuck, if available would be an interesting pick up, although his Corsi is at EJ's levels. Granted his zone starts are something to gawk at, 13.5% Ozone vs 86.5% Dzone. Plus I doubt Lou would move him barring absurdity. He is, after all, the guy who brought Matt Martin to Toronto and to the Isles again when he moved there. 

56 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I was making a joke. 

It is hard to have an engaging/serious conversation with you when you post like this. 

Who said I wanted a conversation with you?? Lol just kidding.  I get what your saying and I understand it from us long timer folks. Enough is enough with this team.  They have built it wrong and the coaches are wrong as well as management.  They are waiting and hoping they are right and this team makes it, but not smart enough to fix it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, COSabreFan said:

His definition of success is not wins and championships, it’s sustained profits for himself and his family.  I’m sure he considers himself successful, he doesn’t need or partially care if championships are a part of that portfolio.

That is NOT what he said when he bought the team.  

He said the reason "for the Sabres existence is to win Stanley Cups".  He said if he needed more money to do it, then he would "drill another well".  

To sit back and let this happen for 12+ years, Terry Pegula is full of jurassic park deal with it GIF

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

He said the reason "for the Sabres existence is to win Stanley Cups".  He said if he needed more money to do it, then he would "drill another well".  

To sit back and let this happen for 12+ years, Terry Pegula is full of jurassic park deal with it GIF

And we all know… You can’t polish a turd… You just make a mess… 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Yep, as are most billionaires and sports team owners.

• Thanks (+1) 1

i feel like ive been reading posts about Adam Henrique being 1 of the answers to our struggles for the past 7-10 years now.

Idk what that says about the Sabres, for how long we've needed the same things. Or what it says about Henrique or our posters, but i wish i didnt have to read it anymore lol. Its just evidence of how nothing has really changed from the 2015 years.

Would he help? Maybe. I dont think he'd hurt unless we're looking at the financials. He has a 10 team no trade list, are we on it? Probably. Would he be the solution for what ails us? I doubt it. But hey it is 1 thing we havent tried yet so maybe he is the answer haha.

On a general level, we just need some veteran players to go with our youth. We dont need to be the absolute youngest team in the NHL.  Its not brain science in that regard. But we need vets who can skate & produce still. Doesnt have to be Henrique but just some experienced guys who dont suck to pair with our younginz who will. Eventually you can phase out the vets as your core takes over.

The Sabres song remains the same... forever needing a few more acquisitions (including a goalie)

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, In The Buff said:

i feel like ive been reading posts about Adam Henrique being 1 of the answers to our struggles for the past 7-10 years now.

Idk what that says about the Sabres, for how long we've needed the same things. Or what it says about Henrique or our posters, but i wish i didnt have to read it anymore lol. Its just evidence of how nothing has really changed from the 2015 years.

Would he help? Maybe. I dont think he'd hurt unless we're looking at the financials. He has a 10 team no trade list, are we on it? Probably. Would he be the solution for what ails us? I doubt it. But hey it is 1 thing we havent tried yet so maybe he is the answer haha.

On a general level, we just need some veteran players to go with our youth. We dont need to be the absolute youngest team in the NHL.  Its not brain science in that regard. But we need vets who can skate & produce still. Doesnt have to be Henrique but just some experienced guys who dont suck to pair with our younginz who will. Eventually you can phase out the vets as your core takes over.

The Sabres song remains the same... forever needing a few more acquisitions (including a goalie)

Agree 100% on the youth/vets stuff. Enthusiasm is great but nothing beats veteran experience. Being the youngest team in the league shouldn’t be talked about like a badge of honour. The mix of vets/kids is all askew. And the vets we have are heavy to the geriatric side. They have to be capable. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pegula trusts Adams, he won’t fire him. Adams is dead set on this developing from within concept. It is yielding no results. All they know how to do is lose because it is all this organization has experienced.

I haven’t watched the last 5 games. I just can’t bring myself to do it anymore. I just don’t care. They can win the lottery and it won’t make a difference.

They need a complete philosophical change. Tocchet goes into Vancouver and holds everyone accountable. Tells them to play hard and earn their ice time. They made no big roster changes yet they are having a very good season. They need a seasoned GM who knows how to win and assemble a team to win and a coach that can install accountability and a defensive system.

I just don’t see Pegula doing it and so the pain goes on and on and on and on.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.