In December and your team is failing - Adams Do Something Substantive Already!

GASabresIUFAN

Issues:

1) Continued bad goaltending - 12 goals allowed in the last two games.  The combo of Comrie and Levi allowed 7 goals 4 games ago against NJ helping Levi earn his demotion to the AHL.

2) Failing forward group - Yes there are a couple of injuries, but only one relevant one and that's to TNT.  The truth is the group with few exceptions (Mitts and Tuch) don't back check.  The team, outside of the Rangers game, isn't attacking with speed like they did last year.  This team's forward depth is also a problem.  The effective 4th line from last year has been awful all year.  Jost adds nothing.  VO has had 4 good games, the rest not to much.  Greenway looks distracted and uninterested.    All this has sent the forward depth into the crapper.  Adding an undersized and physically lacking 18 year old is not adding quality depth at this point even if he occasionally makes a spectacular play.

3) Coaching - The message has been lost on the players since they aren't executing what they did well last year (Scoring and PP) and aren't improving on what they did poorly last year (Back checking).  

How do you start to fix this mess?  It's going to take at least 3 acquisitions

1) Go get a legit 2 way 3rd line center.  

2) Get another physical forward for the energy line

3) Get a real goalie

While the goalie need is obvious, the center need is less apparent.  TNT and Mitts are the top 2 centers.  Cozens is having a terrible time recovering his game after his injury and has become a liability in the middle.  Get a center who can win a draw, contribute some offense and allow Cozens to move to wing and we'll be much better off. 

The lineup could eventually look like with

Skinner TNT Quinn

JJP Mitts Tuch

Benson ???? Cozens

Greenway Krebs ???? (KO)

Two center ideas - Adam Henrique and Sean Monahan - both are pending UFAs, both are vets, both are good in the PF circle and both can still add some O. Ana would have to eat 40% of Henrique's contract. I also think some like Cal Clutterbuck would be a good depth option.   

The only goalie options I see aren't great in Reimar and Allen, and both are in division.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Right now what I would do...

Clear out cap space. Call Patrice Bergon.  Make him the highest paid player in the league for the rest of the year (seriously, no joke if that is what it takes).

Have him show, be the example, for how forwards need to play.

The guy isn't physically tough, but may be one of the 'least fun' (hardest) guys to play against.

He knows when to finish a check, when not to. knows how to forecheck. Knows when to chase a loose puck and when to hold his ground.  This team, these young forwards, need that more than anything else you can give them.

It's not going to happen, if he wanted to play. He'd be back in Boston but that's what this team needs more than anything else.

Edited by mjd1001

10 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Username checks out 

Name one  successful proactive move in the last 3 years.  Don’t count the draft, everyone gets to draft.  Name one move made to correct a problem that actually made a significant difference.  

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Right now what I would do...

Clear out cap space. Call Patrice Bergon.  Make him the highest paid player in the league for the rest of the year (seriously, no joke if that is what it takes).

Have him show, be the example, for how forwards need to play.

The guy isn't physically tough, but may be one of the 'least fun' (hardest) guys to play against.

He knows when to finish a check, when not to. knows how to forecheck. Knows when to chase a loose puck and when to hold his ground.  This team, these young forwards, need that more than anything else you can give them.

Why would Patrice help them. Besides, he is probably not in hockey shape.  

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Name one  successful proactive move in the last 3 years.  Don’t count the draft, everyone gets to draft.  Name one move made to correct a problem that actually made a significant difference.  

I know it's not actually going to happen, just like a lot of the trade proposals that people have on here aren't going to happen. My point was that is the thing this team needs the most.

Not more team toughness. Not another big time scorer, they need to learn how to actually play the modern game of hockey in terms of effort, position, and just the game inside their head between the ears.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I know it's not actually going to happen, just like a lot of the trade proposals that people have on here aren't going to happen. My point was that is the thing this team needs the most.

Not more team toughness. Not another big time scorer, they need to learn how to actually play the modern game of hockey in terms of effort, position, and just the game inside their head between the ears.

Get a coach and a staff that teaches it.  Vegas did it.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’m not doing this with you because I’m not here to defend the Sabres or the GM.  

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I left coach on my list because TP isn't going to allow KA to fire DG in season.  We also know that this team can play winning hockey under DG as they showed against the Rags.  If KA can get some goaltending and at least one decent forward, this team still has time to turn things around. 

Kev/balls have already decided this is all part of the course forward for this group. They along with many on this board believe in the youth approach to winning. Probably the only franchise in the league taking the ‘ don’t block the youngsters ‘ approach. We need capable veterans and a quality goaltender if we want to get out of the basement. Unfortunately Kev/balls have decided in their grand wisdom, that virtually every other team in the league is doing it wrong along with many successful teams of the past. At this pace of ‘ misery ‘ we’ll likely pick top 5 in june. Its once again self inflicted and Terry in his infinite wisdom will give them a pass. Nothing should surprise anyone with this franchise.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If that's what they're going to do then I'm fine with it

I just see a lot of people on this board calling for more team toughness. People who will skate harder and finish every check. I think that's actually going in the wrong direction.

You need players like Cozens to pull the reins back occasionally, And know where to be not to be full speed all the time. Play SMARTER. You need players who understand where the pass is going, not just to be fixated on the puck now.

The last thing this team needs is an old fashioned coach who is going to yell at the players to finish every check and to drop the gloves more. They need to learn where to be and they need to learn the mental part of the game in terms of preventing goals and covering your guys.

In the NFL, if you are allowing 50 touchdown passes against you every year, you don't get a coach that's going to tell you to play more physical and to beat up the other team. You get one Who knows how to have their linebackers and defensive backs play better and play Positionally.

And it's not about acquiring more talented players. It's about acquiring players who know mentally how to play the game until your young guys figure it out themselves. Right now the young guys aren't figuring that out.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

It's a lot easier to stomach once you come to the realization that for this franchise winning isn't as important as relationships.

The guys on the team all get along really well, they're all getting paid now and Granato doesn't hold them accountable for poor performances.   They're on easy street.   So why would they want to change anything?

It's OK to lose as long as everyone is enjoying each other's company.

That mentality has trickled down the organization.   The only way that changes is if somebody decides it's not OK to lose... and that starts by holding folks accountable, not just players or coaches.

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Genuinely curious, does anyone on here actually get tired of repeating themselves?  I don't know how some of you do it.

For me it's easier to just not pay attention to the calamity. if the organization doesn't want to put in the effort and energy, why should we?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It's a lot easier to stomach once you come to the realization that for this franchise winning isn't as important as relationships.

The guys on the team all get along really well, they're all getting paid now and Granato doesn't hold them accountable for poor performances.   They're on easy street.   So why would they want to change anything?

It's OK to lose as long as everyone is enjoying each other's company.

That mentality has trickled down the organization.   The only way that changes is if somebody decides it's not OK to lose... and that starts by holding folks accountable, not just players or coaches.

And that accountability needs to start at the top with ownership.  It’s high time that winning actually became the number one organizational goal.  Not just “sustained winning over many years” but actually winning NOW.  Start winning now and then work towards sustaining it.

This franchise punishes its fans.

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Look at Vegas, Washington...etc. They fired coaches that got them to the conference finals or even won the Cup. 

The you look at us... Eventually we get to a move, after it's too late. We've had the same issues for a decade. Thread after thread. Soft team, won't go to the net, don't have a high compete level, the list goes on and on. 

I'll take Nolan and the hardest working team in hockey again over the princesses that this team is full of. At least there was entertainment value there. 

I miss Ruff screaming at the Ottawa bench, Peca on a mission to destroy everyone, Drury not taking $hit in the locker room. 

How we've fallen

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m not doing this with you because I’m not here to defend the Sabres or the GM.  

And because you cannot come up with an answer, the answer is there is nothing.  He did nothing, is what answers that question.  

This is his first “gonna win now” season.  I like EJ and Clifton more than most here.  I’m not totally against Adams plan.  But the goaltending, and his not addressing the forwards in off season,  was not in any way conducive to “we are gonna win now”.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

Genuinely curious, does anyone on here actually get tired of repeating themselves?  I don't know how some of you do it.

For me it's easier to just not pay attention to the calamity. if the organization doesn't want to put in the effort and energy, why should we?

I’m getting there. Part of the fun was watching the small signs of success individually. Mitts, JJ, Cozens last year , Quinn etc. All those small victories seems to have stalled . This team sucks most nights. One or two good moves could change tjat but KA is so invested in his guys. Fix this team !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Username checks out 

Hmmmmm another kool-aid drinker or one that had only been a fan one year.... no offense. I think it is called reality for those of us day one fans. Every year is groundhog year, same problems no fixing until a half ass attempt when it is too late. 

53 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Last 3 years??? Can you remember the last time buffalo was proactive And fixed a problem???

I don't know who that player is but Sabre's need a Getlaf type to lead this team.  At the AHL i've seen one player turn a team and it's culture 180.  Years ago Syr Crunch were a soft, floundering team.  Columbus made a trade with Anaheim that sent Zenon Konopka to the Crunch and it completely turned the team around.  He was a different player in the AHL than his stint in the NHL.  Team captain and locker room leader - he made everyone accountable.  You can't magically turn an amiable into an alpha. 

32 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

This franchise punishes its fans

Let’s call it Battered Fan Syndrome

And let’s define it… Battered Fan Syndrome is a psychological trauma that results from ongoing psychological and emotional abuse, typically at the hands of a longstanding losing sports team… 

Think if it weren’t for Sabrespace, some of us would be hitting the sauce or in therapy!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, LTS said:

You are repeating yourself.  😁

This team has done a wonderful job of freeing up my evenings for the last dozen years.  I should be thankful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.