Dreger says Sabres looking for forward help...

sweetlou

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I saw it live on Tsn yesterday. He said the Sabres are open for business and have interest in adding a F, but that because of players due to return from injuries, it’s “not an intense” search.

I think we can reasonably infer it’s more less, KA isn’t going to turn down a great deal if it comes knocking (but who would?). My reading is he’s open to a deal if it meets his terms to a “T”. Thus the “not an intense search” thing. 

He should have already been looking intensely once he saw how the season started. 

Is there any sense of urgency with the Sabres FO?  They set a goal for playoffs. They better get moving. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, ShadowOnTheDoor said:

Classic Dreger waffling. Looking for forwards but "not an intense search." Probably my least favorite "insider."

True.

I’m also getting tired of KA saying he’s not doing his job if he is not “in the conversation” on every available player. There are different levels of “in the conversation”.

He is in love with his prospects and protects TP’s cap space in order to pay them.

I don’t know which vets are available but identifying someone that you need and then offering a solid package can pry a lot of “untouchables” loose.

The eye test gang and a strong analytics team should be able to find a few role players around the league.

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

And this dope calls himself an *insider*.  What a joke.

Inside the TSN production staff’s pants.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still going to think about what kind of trade really helps this team that much?

You want to be good you need Thompson back and producing. HOPEFULLY that will happen soon. With that, your top 6 guys up front are Thompson, Tuch, Skinner, Peterka, Mitts, and Cozens.  So...2 things:

-Who do you bring in that moves one of those guys out of the top 6 and takes their minutes that will be THAT much better?

-If you bring in someone to be a 3rd line player with less minutes, are they going to be good enough and make an impact on 3rd line minutes that will impact the team enough?

I'm not saying you can't bring in someone that will be good, but the way the front end is structured, I can't see a huge impact unless you are bringing in a STAR and you move out one of those top 6 guys in a package to get them. But we are talking major MAJOR move there.

Same thing on D.  Dahlin, Power, and Samuelson get the bulk of the minutes. You aren't getting anyone better than Dahlin...and with Samuelson and Power being so young and being here long term, you are going to give them their minutes anyway. Power IS going to likely be very good but he needs to work though good and bad games to get there. They are going to get top minutes.  SO, any D-man you bring in is going to probably get Jokiharju type minutes.  Who do you bring in for the D that will likely get the 4th most minutes and will make an impact big enough to turn this team around?   I think most people don't want those 'big 3' to play less, and most people think Ryan Johnson is earning more ice time...and Jokiharju has actually played pretty well this season. 

Again, not saying you don't make a move, but any move you make, with the way this roster is constructed and where minutes are available...I think will be less for making this team considerably better and more for 'making a move for the sake of making a move' because I just don't see minutes available that will be that impactful.

You need Thompson back and producing CLOSE to how he did the last 2 seasons.  You need Cozens to start producing CLOSE to how he did last year and stop making mistakes.  You are going to give power 20-24 mins of ice time per game so you need him to step up. And while you are at it just have Skinner and Tuch keep on producing like they are...which is exactly what you expect from them.

You get those 3 things and you are back on track.   I know a lot of us would like to see a move being made, but that isn't going to fix this team. I think the things above are what you need.

Edited by mjd1001

29 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm still going to think about what kind of trade really helps this team that much?

You want to be good you need Thompson back and producing. HOPEFULLY that will happen soon. With that, your top 6 guys up front are Thompson, Tuch, Skinner, Peterka, Mitts, and Cozens.  So...2 things:

-Who do you bring in that moves one of those guys out of the top 6 and takes their minutes that will be THAT much better?

-If you bring in someone to be a 3rd line player with less minutes, are they going to be good enough and make an impact on 3rd line minutes that will impact the team enough?

I'm not saying you can't bring in someone that will be good, but the way the front end is structured, I can't see a huge impact unless you are bringing in a STAR and you move out one of those top 6 guys in a package to get them. But we are talking major MAJOR move there.

Same thing on D.  Dahlin, Power, and Samuelson get the bulk of the minutes. You aren't getting anyone better than Dahlin...and with Samuelson and Power being so young and being here long term, you are going to give them their minutes anyway. Power IS going to likely be very good but he needs to work though good and bad games to get there. They are going to get top minutes.  SO, any D-man you bring in is going to probably get Jokiharju type minutes.  Who do you bring in for the D that will likely get the 4th most minutes and will make an impact big enough to turn this team around?   I think most people don't want those 'big 3' to play less, and most people think Ryan Johnson is earning more ice time...and Jokiharju has actually played pretty well this season. 

Again, not saying you don't make a move, but any move you make, with the way this roster is constructed and where minutes are available...I think will be less for making this team considerably better and more for 'making a move for the sake of making a move' because I just don't see minutes available that will be that impactful.

You need Thompson back and producing CLOSE to how he did the last 2 seasons.  You need Cozens to start producing CLOSE to how he did last year and stop making mistakes.  You are going to give power 20-24 mins of ice time per game so you need him to step up. And while you are at it just have Skinner and Tuch keep on producing like they are...which is exactly what you expect from them.

You get those 3 things and you are back on track.   I know a lot of us would like to see a move being made, but that isn't going to fix this team. I think the things above are what you need.

I agree it’s not easy to trade in season until the deadline.

There are some guys available that could help. They probably don’t have huge impacts but every little bit helps.

Hanifin pushes Joki and Mule down the depth chart, gets rid of Bryson and sends RyJo back to Rochester.

Tanev doesn’t have offensive potential like Hanifin but he has way more in the tank than EJ.

It’s too late now but a big push might have got Varlamov to sign with Buffalo in the summer or a sweet package may have landed Saros. KA didn’t want to block Levi/UPL.

21 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Buffalo won't do anything till deadline .

GMKA needs to be aggressive and find something. Need more veterans who can play, GMKA needs to use resources (players, picks, salary cap room) to do some higher level GM stuff (he has done the easier pieces, now time to pull out big boy pants).

But @Buffalonill  respect your, well respect is a bit strong, I listen to, no that's not it. OK I read your comments and then argue the opposing position (it is reflexive now). You need to post that the Sabres are not going to playoffs this year, every day. Yes, please do that. 

Youre Wrong Jenny Mccarthy GIF by The Masked Singer

@Pimlach, no thanks necessary. Happy to oblige your Ken Jeong fix. I am not wrong, right?  😜

26 minutes ago, Stads said:

That seems about the best statement to describe Adams. No "wow" moments to be had. He lacks:

GIF by Love Island Australia

@Stads funny I just posted similar reply..... great minds.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Yes, because your belief on what exactly a fan should be, how they should act, is beyond reproach.

If a "so called" fan doesn't respond the way you expect they should, then they are "upset over following a team that should be a fun thing to do". Your implying if it's not fun, shut up.

Well, I've been a fan for over 50 years as well. What if I told you there is this magical thing called individualism, where every human being reacts differently, even if slightly, even if 180 from your reaction, that not only is not a negative, but actually adds as a positive to the sports subject matter, even if your unable to see it?

What would you say I wonder if you knew that was the reality of the world.

"Winning isn't everything it's the only thing." V. Lombardi

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No he isn't. Thank goodness. He has a pipeline full of talent. Let them develop.

It's frustrating that they're not doing well right now, but I agree with you.

If you can get a superstar that you could fit under the cap on this team and it won't impact signing your own guys long-term than by all means go for it.

But what I don't want is making a trade for the sake of making a trade.... Getting someone who may or may not help this team for a year, and then one year later if the team would have been patient they would have been better off... And yes, I know patience is a word on this forum that is dreaded.

As I've said in other posts, if you trade for a top 6 forward to impact this team, whose minutes are they taking? If it's not a top six guy, they're not going to impact the team that much. Same thing with the defense. You want an impact player? They have to play a lot, who are you taking minutes from?

I hear and read a lot of people saying make a move... There has to be a move out there. But honestly, what's the realistic move... We can't predict what's out there, but give me an example and tell me whose minutes they're going to take and who you're going to push down the lineup and how that's going to turn this team around?

Cozens needs to pick up the pace. You need Thompson back. We need a little more progress and less bad games from Power. That will get this team on track, not bringing in a veteran that may not even exist.

• dislike 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

The Buffalo Sabres are in 23rd place. There are moves that could help 

idk. I think the time was before the season started. Not sure any small moves (I doubt there'd be a big one) would make much difference at this point. I also imagine there are few teams looking to unload the type of players we need right now. Most will probably be holding on to them until closer to deadline unless you make an offer they can't refuse but we don't want to do that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.