Dreger says Sabres looking for forward help...

sweetlou

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What did he say exactly?

I saw it live on Tsn yesterday. He said the Sabres are open for business and have interest in adding a F, but that because of players due to return from injuries, it’s “not an intense” search.

I think we can reasonably infer it’s more less, KA isn’t going to turn down a great deal if it comes knocking (but who would?). My reading is he’s open to a deal if it meets his terms to a “T”. Thus the “not an intense search” thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

The funniest thing about the tangible angst at never making the playoffs is that it creates an equal and opposite reaction on the other side, in defiance. If KA came out and said he plans for the roster to make the playoffs in 2033, I am utterly convinced there would be satisfaction found in never winning again if only to present a contrast to those upset at never winning.

Being happy about the team regardless of never winning *is* your win. You get to stick it to the fans who want to win and don’t get it. You are the true loyals, the better fans. You don’t need winning. You just want to be told it’s coming one day. Even though you know it’s not, that doesn’t matter 

Why would you need success if you can enjoy the team all the same, without? It’s an infallible defence mechanism 

“tomorrow” just needs to be promised. Not delivered on. Because it’s never actually tomorrow, it’s only ever today 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The funniest thing about the tangible angst at never making the playoffs is that it creates an equal and opposite reaction on the other side, in defiance. If KA came out and said he plans for the roster to make the playoffs in 2033, I am utterly convinced there would be satisfaction found in never winning again if only to present a contrast to those upset at never winning.

Being happy about the team regardless of never winning *is* your win. You get to stick it to the fans who want to win and don’t get it. You are the true loyals, the better fans. You don’t need winning. You just want to be told it’s coming one day. Even though you know it’s not, that doesn’t matter 

Why would you need success if you can enjoy the team all the same, without? It’s an infallible defence mechanism 

“tomorrow” just needs to be promised. Not delivered on. Because it’s never actually tomorrow, it’s only ever today 

If it's too much happiness for you, I'm sorry. I know that half the fun of being a fan is complaining and second guessing management.

I've been doing the fan thing for more than a half century. And one day I realized what's the point of following a team if all you do is find things to get upset over?

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If it's too much happiness for you, I'm sorry. I know that half the fun of being a fan is complaining and second guessing management.

I've been doing the fan thing for more than a half century. And one day I realized what's the point of following a team if all you do is find things to get upset over?

But only here in Buffalo, where franchise incompetence is......wait for it.......double the fun?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I saw it live on Tsn yesterday. He said the Sabres are open for business and have interest in adding a F, but that because of players due to return from injuries, it’s “not an intense” search.

Someone said it in the Kane thread I believe. But this sounds like masterclass Adams. Leak something out there that signals we are looking to improve, but put a “not an intense” clause in there as an out because everyone knows it’s not going to happen. But, in case anyone missed it, he tried!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So because you perceive, in your estimation, that the fans aren’t happy enough, you’ve decided that no matter what happens, the team is in the right. You are handcuffing yourself to an absolute because of a perception of the other side being wrong.

In reality, this side is balance. Tailoring response to the situation rather than clinging to a narrative for the sake of it. The reason this side is so often negative is because it’s an accurate reflection of the team. When you are bad for 13 years, the commentary on the team should look like this. It’s the point you continually miss

the other thing you miss is that it’s not an issue of happiness. There are lots of aspects around the team I find fun, notably, this board. I just don’t have to lie to myself every morning and tell myself the team is in the right, to get it. 

I’m happiest telling the truth. By all means, continue burying your head in the sand if that’s what lends you yours 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Someone said it in the Kane thread I believe. But this sounds like masterclass Adams. Leak something out there that signals we are looking to improve, but put a “not an intense” clause in there as an out because everyone knows it’s not going to happen. But, in case anyone missed it, he tried!

Ya that was probably me lol 

Me or Tom, but he was backing up my ramblings 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So because you perceive, in your estimation, that the fans aren’t happy enough, you’ve decided that no matter what happens, the team is in the right. You are handcuffing yourself to an absolute because of a perception of the other side being wrong.

In reality, this side is balance. Tailoring response to the situation rather than clinging to a narrative for the sake of it. The reason this side is so often negative is because it’s an accurate reflection of the team. When you are bad for 13 years, the commentary on the team should look like this. It’s the point you continually miss

the other thing you miss is that it’s not an issue of happiness. There are lots of aspects around the team I find fun, notably, this board. I just don’t have to lie to myself every morning and tell myself the team is in the right, to get it. 

I’m happiest telling the truth. By all means, continue burying your head in the sand if that’s what lends you yours 

Not that the team is right or wrong. That me getting miserable over it makes no difference. So why bother getting cranked?

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I rest my case.

Yes, because your belief on what exactly a fan should be, how they should act, is beyond reproach.

If a "so called" fan doesn't respond the way you expect they should, then they are "upset over following a team that should be a fun thing to do". Your implying if it's not fun, shut up.

Well, I've been a fan for over 50 years as well. What if I told you there is this magical thing called individualism, where every human being reacts differently, even if slightly, even if 180 from your reaction, that not only is not a negative, but actually adds as a positive to the sports subject matter, even if your unable to see it?

What would you say I wonder if you knew that was the reality of the world.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not that the team is right or wrong. That me getting miserable over it makes no difference. So why bother getting cranked?

I agree with you. I can’t speak for others with a similar mindset to mine, if such creatures exist, but I think the distinction your missing is that 95% of the time when I’m posting things that are “negative” I’m not miserable about it: it’s just what I actually believe, and talking it through is part of what makes it all fun and tolerable

are there times where it’s altogether too cranky? Absolutely. Liger mentioned it to me once recently where I went off the rails. Regardless of my belief in the stance I clearly had a “fed up” day because the losing caught up to me. That does happen. Sometime I’ll be unfairly negative. Those are the slip ups, though. We’ve been in the desert such a long time. 

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Yes, because your belief on what exactly a fan should be, how they should act, is beyond reproach.

If a "so called" fan doesn't respond the way you expect they should, then they are "upset over following a team that should be a fun thing to do". Your implying if it's not fun, shut up.

Well, I've been a fan for over 50 years as well. What if I told you there is this magical thing called individualism, where every human being reacts differently, even if slightly, even if 180 from your reaction, that not only is not a negative, but actually adds as a positive to the sports subject matter, even if your unable to see it?

What would you say I wonder if you knew that was the reality of the world.

What would you say I wonder if I proposed the following idea to you:

Consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are)..

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

What would you say I wonder if I proposed the following idea to you:

Consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are)..

I would agree.

What would you say I wonder if I proposed the Sabres team in one of the parallel universes that made the playoffs these past 13 years, won a cup, isn't coming here?

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I would agree.

What would you say I wonder if I proposed the Sabres team in one of the parallel universes that made the playoffs these past 13 years, won a cup, isn't coming here?

It’s a multiverse, not wonderland 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.